Sparky

Some very strange goings on…

I’ve recently purchased and built a new PC that I am having some serious and strange problems with. Its an Asus P5E3, with aq6600, 4gb of DDR3 memory and numerous hard drives. I used a fresh installation of Windows for the machine.

A day or so after the fresh installation, I started experiencing problems with one of the drives on the machine (a 1tb SATA Samsung).

I was getting the following errors:-

- An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk8\D during a paging operation. (warning, source:disk, code 51)

- The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur. (warning, course:ftdisk, code 57)

- {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere. (warning, source:ntfs, code 50)

This happened many, many times – and was presumed to be the fault of the hard drive itself. I struggled to get off the drive and backed up on other locations on my computer. Just when I had started to give up hope, I tried the drive in an external USB enclosure. Low and behold, it worked fine – and I was able to salvage all the data from it.

Everything was fine and dandy for a while. Then, yesterday evening a 400gb ATA Maxtor drive started to experience the same issues. Numerous code 51s, 57s and 50s. As with before, the drive seemed to function normally using an external enclosure.

Last nigh was the last straw. One of my new 1.5tb SATA drives displayed the same issues, with the event viewer flooded by another deluge of warnings and errors. I also noticed these errors (they might very well have happened during the previous faults too):-

- The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D (error, sorce:disk, code 11)

- A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort1 (error, source:atapi, code 5).

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed any light on these issues.

The PSU is unchanged from my previous setup. Its a good quality unit, and one I have not had problems with before. None the less, I have tried different power connectors - along with different SATA leads, and it appears that the problem persists and is independant of cables.

The PSU is unchanged from my previous setup. Its a good quality unit, and one I have not had problems with before.

Did you try with another one ?

Fyi: I spend once about 1 month looking for strange problem (strange and rare reboot)...and solved it by changing the PSU

I've tried a new power supply, as well as a new GFX card. Neither helped the problem - which has now escalated. Was working on the machine earlier, and started getting the same errors and problems. It BSOD'ed and restarted the machine. About 3 seconds after seeing the Windows startup logo, I get the same BSOD. This happens with any number or combination of hardrives installed. I've tried resinstalling Windows, but that throws up another BLOD at the point where is tries to start the instalation process. It even does that with no hard drives installed (just the optical drive).

Is my motherboard broken? Does the world just hate me? Any advice much appretiated here - I'm about ready to throw this PC out of the window.

Given that it's different drives and different cables, it should be very likely at this point that the motherboard's ICH is going bad and the board needs to be replaced.

Given that it's different drives and different cables, it should be very likely at this point that the motherboard's ICH is going bad and the board needs to be replaced.

Show smart data for all disks please.

Proper hard-drive burn-in... would save all these hassles. That is what we have been telling to people.

If i were you, i would plug the drive to a known working system and test there first and according to the outcome. I reckon firmware SA, SMART module corruption since drive works fine on USB (SMART is not reported to OS in USB).

Edited by 6_6_6

I really don’t think its hard drive related. The problem started with drives that had been used extensively in previous machines without fault. Now its giving me BLOD when I try during the Windows installation routine without any hard drives attached at all.

I get no SMART error on any of the drives during start-up. Not sure if there is anyway I can give you more detailed reports from the BIOS, I certainly cannot do it from Windows right now (having problems even getting into safe mode).

I really don’t think its hard drive related. The problem started with drives that had been used extensively in previous machines without fault. Now its giving me BLOD when I try during the Windows installation routine without any hard drives attached at all.

I get no SMART error on any of the drives during start-up. Not sure if there is anyway I can give you more detailed reports from the BIOS, I certainly cannot do it from Windows right now (having problems even getting into safe mode).

If you can boot knoppix and run, for each hdd:

smartctl -a /dev/sda > /root/sda.txt

smartctl -a /dev/sdb > /root/sdb.txt

..etc

Then scp /root/*txt some_user@host.com, then post here.

Justin.

Sounds very much like an issue with your motherboard. Having said that I've heard quite a few reports of issues with ddr3, and conbined with you statement of windows not installing, try running mem test on the machine as well.

If you didn't think it is drive related, why did you have to swap 3 drives on it, install OSes on them, risk corrupting perfectly fine drives and try salvaging your data then?

Proper troubleshooting (each step assumes previous one passed):

1. Check RAM.

2. Test drives on a different, working system (a friend's, collegue's, computer shops)

3. Plug in a different native port.

4. Change cables.

5. Change PSU.

If you still could not figure out the problem, you have a faulty motherboard.

Simple.