Sign in to follow this  
cn

Seagate bare drive warranty reduction

In all fairness, I don't believe they've shortened the warranty because they "have no faith" in particular lines, but because with companies everywhere trying to reduce operating costs, going to 3 years made the most sense. Since drive failures follow a bathtub curve, truly bad designs end up costing the company a lot of money, regardless of warranty length.

Just my opinion but it is about faith. Or stronger: knowledge.

If they think they can bump it up to 10 years they surely will do so because it makes great advertising.

The fact that they need to reduce operating costs by reducing from 5 to 3 years proves the drives get to many RMAs.

Afterall if drives aren't RMAed within 5 years dropping to 3 years won't make a $1 diffrence in operating costs.

3 years tells me that the RMA curve starts to get steep at that point.

Aside from enterprise drives (which remain 5yr), my desire to buy any Seagate desktop drives has just gone down to zero... not that it was all that high to start with.

Just my opinion but it is about faith. Or stronger: knowledge.

If they think they can bump it up to 10 years they surely will do so because it makes great advertising.

The fact that they need to reduce operating costs by reducing from 5 to 3 years proves the drives get to many RMAs.

Afterall if drives aren't RMAed within 5 years dropping to 3 years won't make a $1 diffrence in operating costs.

3 years tells me that the RMA curve starts to get steep at that point.

That's wrong. There are bookkeeping/administrative costs associated with long warranty coverage, whether people RMA drives or not.

Also, there WILL be drives RMAed between 3 and 5 years, even if the failure rate is unusually low. Considering Seagate sells millions of drives, even a 0.1% yearly failure rate between 3 and 5 years represents about 30,000-50,000 drives (assuming every failure is RMAed, which isn't remotely true.)

Someone else mentioned the bathtub curve. Remember the 75GXP? If I recall, most of those failed within the first year. Certainly most of the ones that failed, failed within the 3 year warranty period.

If Seagate really does release a fantastically bad batch of drives (fit to compare to the 75GXP), then rest assured, most will fail in the first year.

That's wrong. There are bookkeeping/administrative costs associated with long warranty coverage, whether people RMA drives or not.

Also, there WILL be drives RMAed between 3 and 5 years, even if the failure rate is unusually low. Considering Seagate sells millions of drives, even a 0.1% yearly failure rate between 3 and 5 years represents about 30,000-50,000 drives (assuming every failure is RMAed, which isn't remotely true.)

Someone else mentioned the bathtub curve. Remember the 75GXP? If I recall, most of those failed within the first year. Certainly most of the ones that failed, failed within the 3 year warranty period.

If Seagate really does release a fantastically bad batch of drives (fit to compare to the 75GXP), then rest assured, most will fail in the first year.

I'm rather miffed about the warranty reduction but let's face it. None of the other manufacturers have brought their warranties of their entire desktop drive series back to 5 years like Seagate did. Either they're all incredibly dumb or it's only a small minority of us with which the 5 year warranty actually made a difference. Sadly I think it's the later.

Edited by Nil Einne

I'm rather miffed about the warranty reduction but let's face it. None of the other manufacturers have brought their warranties of their entire desktop drive series back to 5 years like Seagate did. Either they're all incredibly dumb or it's only a small minority of us with which the 5 year warranty actually made a difference. Sadly I think it's the later.

That's probably true. Honestly it's not even a big deal to me. I've already pretty much retired my 160GB 7200.9 which is only 3.5 years old, still has warranty left. It just got too small. I'm even quickly filling up the WD3200AAKS that I bought to replace it. :blink:

That may be the biggest reason Seagate cut warranty, especially with the recent jumps in capacity, more and more drives are being retired long before the 5 year warranty is up.