StoX

2TB Western Digital 3.5-inch single-disk (WD20EADS)

2TB Western Digital 3.5-inch single-disk (WD20EADS).

Just Google for it!

Done that. So? No official release, no data spec, no shop to buy, no availability date, no test, no review, no preview, no user experiences, not even a (Photoshopped) picture.

Edited by worxland

Done that. So?

Worxland, you didn't find StoX's other posts supporting his own rumors?? That's odd - perhaps Google is having server problems this morning.

Welcome back, StoX. Hey, do you have other details on the Samsung F2 for us, btw? It's o.k. if the details are from .cz pages - that's where I usually get my technology news anyway.

From http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...%26as_qdr%3Dall

" When we asked directly in the WD, we received a "standard PR answer No. 5" that "Western Digital comments on the marketing of the product only when it is able to realistically deliver."

It's o.k. if the details are from .cz pages - that's where I usually get my technology news anyway.

Remember, last year Samsung F1 data was seen first on German webshops - months before the actual HDD was on sale. So leaked info can appear anywhere, see this link, where I too thought the F1 to be hoax Link.

Nevertheless this current WD-thingy is a little too weak on info to be realistic.

It's o.k. if the details are from .cz pages - that's where I usually get my technology news anyway.

Remember, last year Samsung F1 data was seen first on German webshops - months before the actual HDD was on sale. So leaked info can appear anywhere

Yes - you're right, the Samsung F1 leaked data and the Samsung F2 leaked data both first appeared on German web sites, if I remember correctly....

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=26287

Hmm. Platter capa would be interesting. I can't image that WD would just double the count of platters due to higher energy demand.

Not very good for a "green" drive.

2TB 3.5-inch drive in the near future (early 2009), very possible.

Current Seagate 1.5TB drive already few months old, it is very possible that 2TB will be available soon. AND I think those drives will have between 3 to 5 disks.

At this moment, one thing that is uncertain is who will be the first to ship 2T.

Hitachi has good chance if they use 5 disks (just like their first 1TB drive).

Samsung also has good chance just because they shipped first 1TB with 3 disk.

BUT who knows...

Hmm. Platter capa would be interesting. I can't image that WD would just double the count of platters due to higher energy demand.

Not very good for a "green" drive.

as if "green" would have anything to do with ecological nowadays :)

I think 3 platter 2TB drive should be out soon. As early as 1st quarter of 2009.

Seagate's 1.5TB has been out for few months already and 2.5" mobile drives reached 500Gb with 2 platter. So, ~630Gb/platter for 3.5" desktop drive should be possible.

Info is still a little too thin for me to consider this a valid rumor-- at least as far as anything vaguely concerning a real release date.

Also, if it turns out like the Samsung F1, which was a little too far ahead of the curve and you can't get enough parts to build the drive in real shipping volumes, then the actual release and ship dates may not matter all that much til the problem parts in question (we don't even know what those might be) get time to catch up...

Info is still a little too thin for me to consider this a valid rumor-- at least as far as anything vaguely concerning a real release date.

Well, Czech shops listed more details/specs - still nothing on GB per platter or internal transfer rates, but:

the weight of this disk will be 0.69 kg and idle power consumption 4 watts.

Consider the fact that the other WD green line products with 2 platters (500/640) have a weight of 0.60 kg/2.5 w idle power and those with 3 platters (750/1000) have an official weight of 0.63 kg/2.8 w idle power , one can conclude that an additional platter adds 0.3 kg, so a 5-platter design would add up to 0.69 kg and consume well over 3, maybe 4 watt idle.

Other sites say that WD this time uses 2 TiB= 1.86 TB= 372 GB/platter, so this - to me - seems to be quite realistic. It could take >1-3 months until real market availability, the prices right now are almost twice as high as for the Seagate 1.5 TB drive - and I strongly doubt that WD would offer considerably better transfer rates than the Seagate.

WD doesn't currently have any 5-platter architectures.

This doesn't preclude them from developing one, of course... but given that most of the market has shifted away from such architectures to 4-platter ones at most, I think it's modestly unlikely.

I'll be more interested when enough info leaks out to get a firm release date. You remember the Samsung F1 availability nightmare right? it wasn't 1-3 months, it was more like 6-9 months, and even longer for a reliable product...

And hey I'd love to be proven the pessimist here. :)

Back-up of these capacities anyone?

Lost 2nd 7200.11 1TB in as many month; spoiled by prior brand experience lulled into false sense of security

I just lost a 1.5TB Seagate. Where are they getting their MTBF numbers? Mine is 800,000 hours or so. Is Seagate selling lemons?

You're seeing drives fail right at the early part of the failure curve, it's expected that most drive failures occur then, or much, much later. Kinda sucks, I know. (also if you bought it from a typical internet retailer you may be the victim of poor packaging causing failures)

Now if you bought 100 drives and they all failed immediately the you might have some useful data. ;)

^^ What he said. 1 or 2 failures can't be used to conclude anything at all. The 7200.11 could be the most reliable hard drive ever made, but some would/will still fail. To the people that had them fail, they would be unreliable hard drives. :P

I just lost a 1.5TB Seagate. Where are they getting their MTBF numbers? Mine is 800,000 hours or so. Is Seagate selling lemons?

We have had a horrible time with Seagate drives breaking with minor use and being too noisy. No seagate for us ever.

Hey

has anyone seen a review of the new Samsung F2 EcoGreen?

It is now available in Europe.

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a387810.html

The HD502HI should have 500Gb on one platter.

This new Samsung drive does indeed have a 500 GB-platter architecture, BUT only 5400 rpm. The drives specs say internal transfer rates read 102 MB/sec write 101 MB/sec. And the price: just about 50 EUROs - the Samsung 640 GB ist considerably faster (7200 rpm), bigger (+140 MB) and above all a bit cheaper. It might be a choice for a supersilent pc, but otherwise completely uninteresting.

Specs (Toms Hardware France)

Commercially available single platter drives with suggested capacity only confirms industry is miles ahead of market with a calculated and profitable strategy to milk as much revenue from consumers with yesterday's technology as possible. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, hype is just that.

Here is a hd tune result on the single platter Samsung 5400rpm 500GB

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotli...tc_samsung.html

Hey

has anyone seen a review of the new Samsung F2 EcoGreen?

It is now available in Europe.

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a387810.html

The HD502HI should have 500Gb on one platter.

This new Samsung drive does indeed have a 500 GB-platter architecture, BUT only 5400 rpm. The drives specs say internal transfer rates read 102 MB/sec write 101 MB/sec. And the price: just about 50 EUROs - the Samsung 640 GB ist considerably faster (7200 rpm), bigger (+140 MB) and above all a bit cheaper. It might be a choice for a supersilent pc, but otherwise completely uninteresting.

Specs (Toms Hardware France)

uhs: "Other sites say that WD this time uses 2 TiB= 1.86 TB= 372 GB/platter, so this - to me - seems to be quite realistic. "

To me, it seems to be quite... BULLSHIT

2 TB = 1.819 TiB

2 TiB = 2.199 TB

First, you mistook TiB for TB and TB for TiB. Second, you used 1.024 in power of thr33 where as you should have used power of four. Kilo (1), mega (2), giga (3), tera (4)... Four.