Sign in to follow this  
HMTK

It's getting quiet on the forums...

It appears over time, the regulars have been moving on to other site(s), to be replaced by more transitent posters... I guess just a changing of guard.

But personally, when most of the Q's being posted were answered last week, (new posters not bothering to read up on previous posts), it the content does get a little stale for my liking.

It may have something to do with the decrease in the number of reviews being done on the primary site. For the past couple of years the main site has done very little in the way of news and reviews. It's a shame, because the users here are a great concentration of storage knowledge.

I agree with the last two posts, as well as I'm still pissed at the great SR meltdown of 2002 where an upgrade went bad and wiped all the posts away.

But the lack of current reviews, people moving on(or growing up depending how you look at it) and that darn melt down was just a recipe in the making.

:ph34r:

Edited by mitch808

Are people leaving SR?

I've been looking at the cursor blinking for the last few minutes trying to think of a proper response.I'm not sure there is one.The Meltdown as one poster called it was indeed a sad day.I do miss the China thread for those of you who remember that.Maybe the passion for a like of a better word is gone.I check out the site daily but find little I want to respond to.I'm not being critical by saying that,it's just me.Things change and people move on.Big Buck Hunter,HMTK ,and some guy out of Hong Kong who had a way with words made for some great topics.There was someone from Australia that was from a town there that I visted on R&R from Viet Nam(now you know I'm an old joker).I have a poster on my shop wall put out by Western Digital on the launch of the first VelociRaptor where they quoted Storage Review on the new drive.What the site had to say was important to their marketing.A lot of history and some good memories from SR.It's a whole new world out there today and a entirely different Internet.The only thing that has remained the same is my horrible spelling and typing.Sorry to ramble on,just wanted to respond in some way. :rolleyes:

I first showed up after the meltdown, but it still seemed pretty active and healthy at the time, and I learned loads by hanging out on the forums and posting when I thought I knew the answer. Nowadays I check the forums about once a month, and it doesn't take long to catch up.

Trouble now is that new site content is so rare that people have stopped bothering to check for it, and aside from the VelociRaptor, there have been no really exciting developments in spinning disks for a while. For some reason (probably lack of samples from manufacturers), SR hasn't done any SSD reviews, which is a shame, because we've seen that the first units weren't all they were cracked up to be, and I'm sure a thorough review from SR could have saved a lot of people from making bad purchases.

It's not too late yet, though; a (somewhat late) review of the Intel SSDs, and picking up on the forthcoming "fixed" SSDs from other vendors, just as the technology is starting to become affordable, could stir up the interest this site needs to keep it going. From the track record of the past couple of years, though, I don't honestly expect that to happen.

Still, hopefully the site is covering its costs, and the few reviews that do show up still put the rest of the web to shame for methodology, thoroughness and relevance. The forums are still the best place for storage related questions (IMO), though you're more likely to wait longer for a reply than in days of yore. Long may SR live!