Sign in to follow this  
jpoku

Best approach to PC repair/data salvage

Hello all,

I stumbled across this forum through the usual google search! It seemed like it would be a good place to ask for help on this though:

Any recommendations on how to fix my PC while having the best chance of data recovery?

The problem is as follows:

Yesterday, my PC gave a sudden 'click' while logging into windows and the blue screen came up and rebooted the PC at which point the system reports it can't find 'C:\windows\system'

At first I thought to just do a repair with a windows CD as recommended but while I was sat listening again there was a 'click' and again at random intervals. I realised it was coming from one of the hard drives. Obviously just a matter of time till it really dies on me.

The downside to all this is it turns out there are actually 2 drives in a Raid 0 stripe so my initial idea to just take the drives out and put them in another PC seems like a no go.

I'm not sure the exact model of the hard drives I think they are Seagate Barracuda 250GB but because they're in a hardware Raid stripe the seagate tools don't pick them up!

Any suggestions the best way to go with this to try and make sure I at least get a chance to backup the data before they die? I was going to risk doing the windows repair and then just mad dash to copy everything on to an external USB but i've no idea if that's too risky!

I know the drives are working at the moment as there's a linux OS on there too and that works fine, but I keep hearing those 'clicks' now and then!

Thanks for any info!

A click? Are the drives clicking (which is bad) or is it something else?

The exact sound seems to be coming from at least one of the drives. The closest I can describe it as is a bit like when windows puts the a HD drive into standby (for powersaving). It's a noticeable *click* then a short humming sound as though the drive is 'spinning down'. It does this fairly randomly, but it seems like it's at least once every 15 mins.

The only thing I can think of is that the drive is failing. Could it be something else?

As it's a raid0 though, data will be lost accross the whole stripe if just one drive goes.

Make sure you have a good power supply and the power connections are secure. I have had a couple of Pc's come in that the power connection would cut out for a fraction of a second then kick back in giving a click.

Putting the OS in raid 0 is a bad idea for most systems.

If your data is important to you find a good shop and take the pc there.They do computer stuff all day.You can learn later .Protect your data. ;)