Think

Has WD bit off own hand?

With the release of the WD RE3, it seems that it's not only superior in performance but much for cost effective?

Test results by BlackDragon24 at AMDMB :

Western Digital 2 x 250 GB RE3 RAID 0 ICH9R 128k stripe.

re3RAIDarray.jpg

The RE3 drives are remarkable, especially when you but them up against a solution that costs 4 times as much like the velociraptors:

2 x 300 GB Velociraptors RAID 0 32K Stripe ICH9R

hdtach.jpg

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=456791

I suppose the Velociraptors are extinct.

With the release of the WD RE3, it seems that it's not only superior in performance but much for cost effective?

I suppose the Velociraptors are extinct.

STR doesnt matter nowadays. Nobody is buing velocirators because of it, at least.

Edited by imsabbel

what would perform better (more concerned with access time than sustained transfer speed)

2x640gb WD Black or 2x320gb WD RE3 ?

All else being equal, if you put the same amount of data on two drives with the same areal density, the drive with 2 platters will have better access time than the drive with 1 platter because the data will occupy half the width of the platters* on the 2 platter drive.

If you are concerned primarily with access time (which is, after all, the primary predictor of storage performance), a single drive will perform better than 2 in RAID 0. RAID 0 slightly increases access time because you can incur rotational latency waiting for the stripe to come around.

KC

(access time fanatic who runs 2x Seagate 15K.6 300GB SAS in RAID 0 -- eat my dust, SSDs)

* "half the width" metaphorically speaking, since we are talking about circular tracks