Sign in to follow this  
vorpel

Help - Did I l lose all my data...?

Last night one of my Raid5 arrays (4x650G drives on a Gigabyte Nvidia 630 chipset - onboard Raid controller) had an issue. On rebooting the box and going into the Raid BIOS I found that one of the four drives was not in the array and the array was in degraded mode. Without initially trying to rebuild the array I rebooted the system and came up in Windows (XP SP2). The degraded array did not show up. After rebooting again and dropping the 4th drive that was not in the degraded array, I then chose to rebuild the array and added the disk back in.

Since the server is remote (i.e. not at my desk) I let the server finish coming up and tried to remote control it - no luck. Turns out that Windows XP was running CHKDSK on the array. I aborted (reboot) and brought the system up - skipping the CHKDSK. I used the Nvidia Mediashield software and found that the array was rebuilding.

Fast forward to this morning - the rebuild is complete but the array shows up in Disk Manager as an empty partition. I rebooted the system again - Windows again wanted to do CHKDSK - I skipped it, and Disk Manager is still showing an empty partition. The array shows Healthy in the Mediashield software.

So my question is - is there anyway to get my data back or is it gone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-DC

Let Windows run CHKDSK on it, so it can verify the file system is intact. That may be why the partition shows as empty.

(since a freshly initialized array should show an unused disk, not a blank partition...)

Did you rebuild the array without initialization? If you initialized the array then all your data is gone; at least in standard Areca (and I think 3ware) terminology, to rebuild an array after replacing a failed drive, you rebuild without initializing.

I'm not sure about nVidia terminology here, sorry.

Let Windows run CHKDSK on it, so it can verify the file system is intact. That may be why the partition shows as empty.

(since a freshly initialized array should show an unused disk, not a blank partition...)

Did you rebuild the array without initialization? If you initialized the array then all your data is gone; at least in standard Areca (and I think 3ware) terminology, to rebuild an array after replacing a failed drive, you rebuild without initializing.

I'm not sure about nVidia terminology here, sorry.

Thank you so much for the information. When I did the rebuild there were no extra options (the nVidia raid software is pretty primitive). I will definitely reboot and run the chkdsk.

I'll post the results when it is done.

Thanks again!

-DC

You can also try testdisk. Nice tool for recovering delete partitions. Earlier this year I accidentally delete a 400 GB partition full of data but I could recover it all in a matter of minutes. Just don't do anything else with the disks!