waprold

WD Caviar Green Power 1000GB - WD10EADS

the GP drives run at 5400rpm. Typically they run very quiet with little vibration and little heat, though the comprimise is with less performance.

SPCR did a really good review of its acoustics and vibrations: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article786-page1.html

For benchmarks though you'll have to look elsewhere, but its likely to be on par with 2.5" 7200rpm drives (maybe a tad faster), and slower than your typical 3.5" drives because they all run at 7200rpm and this one runs at 5400rpm.

A RE2-GP edition of the WD10EADS? No, not that I've seen yet. Given that most high-end RAID setups have extensive onboard controller cache I would not be surprised if WD skipped such a drive.

WD10EACS = 4 platters, 16MB buffer

WD10EADS = 3 platters, 32MB buffer

Anyone have any idea:

1) When WD10EADS will be available? WD says its available now but I can't find it anywhere.

2) When WD will launch a larger GreenPower drive? I'd love to see a 1.5TB model, especially now that the $/GB on the Seagate 1.5TB is nearly identical to the WD10EACS drive (at Newegg this morning).

I would say in the next month or so, lots of stores have it listed for preorder, and I have customer samples here. (well, had)

I'm assuming you're referring to WD10EADS, not a larger GP drive, right?

How were the samples? Do tell.... :)

They were exactly the same as the WD10EACS in the uses we were testing. Our customers didn't notice a damned bit of difference either...

If you mean actual benchmarks, no, I cannot provide those.

But newer WD10EACS (rev. 00D6B0) have 3 platters too. So, ist cache size the only difference?

But newer WD10EACS (rev. 00D6B0) have 3 platters too. So, ist cache size the only difference?

I didn't realize that...thanks for pointing that out.

Is there a way (ie, with software) to determine if a drive has 3 platters or 4? I'm curious which models I have but don't want to open up all the computers.

I didn't realize that...thanks for pointing that out.

Is there a way (ie, with software) to determine if a drive has 3 platters or 4? I'm curious which models I have but don't want to open up all the computers.

v1 WD10EACS-32ZJB0

v2 WD10EACS-00ZJB0

v3 WD10EACS-00D6B0

00D6B0 is 3 platters

Ender17, did your v1 and v2 drives bench the same?

'cause the -32 and -00 are the only difference, and traditionally the -xx is only a code number that changes for customer/OEM names so performance should be the same....

Regarding the new WD10EADS - has anyone received a production model yet? It appears they're available on some sites but not at Newegg nor the WD store yet. But according to CDW, they're being dropped shipped out of WD's warehouse.

Regarding the new WD10EADS - has anyone received a production model yet? It appears they're available on some sites but not at Newegg nor the WD store yet. But according to CDW, they're being dropped shipped out of WD's warehouse.

I'm surprised that sites such as newegg and zipzoomfly still don't carry this drive? What's the holdup?