Sign in to follow this  
Sean1

SSD Reviews?

I'm pretty amazed at the total lack of SSD reviews. You can find virtually every HDD on the market here, usually before they are even for sale in stores.

So far i only see 2 SSD drives on the benchmark boards, though the bar for the .1ms response time is displayed incorrectly. But if you click on the drives to read their review they are non existant.

Going to newegg, you can find a fairly large selection of affordable SSD drives already, SLC and MLC. Sizes with SATA or SATAII connectors ranging from 32gb up to 128gb. Prices seem to be falling very quickly too. I believe the price is now low enough that people that would normally consider drives like the velociraptor are looking into SSD's instead.

Are SSD's going to be reviewed here, or will the site just slowly die over the next 5 years as SSD's start replacing HDD's as the primary storage medium for computers?

I think there's only two SSD worth to be considered,

the ones from Intel, and the ones from Samsung.

I don't find them particularly "affordable".

The fusionno also allow "top performance", but their price are just

prohibitive.

I'll just wait that SSD become mainstream, or die.

Maybe you would like to donate a couple of SSD's to Storagereview for testing? They're quite affordable and all that...

I think there's only two SSD worth to be considered,

the ones from Intel, and the ones from Samsung.

I don't find them particularly "affordable".

Neither are all those 15k SAS disks.

And i guess you miss the whole _point_ of reviews:

To show _that_ only a few of the tons of SSDs that are around are worth it.

A review isnt pointless just because the subject of the review isnt worth the money.

Your argument is basically that you dont need reviews because you read reviews somewhere. With that mindset, you could just scrap all other hd reviews on this site, too.

Your argument is basically that you dont need reviews because you read reviews somewhere. With that mindset, you could just scrap all other hd reviews on this site, too.

exactly. honestly thats what i have had to do because i'm not getting the information from this site. Though i prefer the testing methodology here at storage review over other sights.

Anandtech has done a really good SSD review lately including the Samsung MLC, SLC and the new Intel MLC drives. They show why you should avoid the myriad of Samsung MLC/JMicron SSD drives. Before i read this review, i was honestly about to waist $300 on one of those MLC/JMicron drives. These are the sorts of reviews i expect to see from storage review, not anandtech.

Also i found some good SSD benchmarks at Benchmarkreviews.com. One thing i liked at this site was the large array of drives they have reviewed, even including very cost prohibitive drives from companies like Mtron and Memoright. As well as the less expensive ones from all the samsung MLC/JMicron clone SSD's. But i'm a bit mixed about this site. On the one hand they seem to be the only review site on the net that has noticed that "all Intel ICH9/9R and ICH10/10R chipsets featured on 3- and 4- series motherboards exhibit a bandwidth limit defect for most SSDs of approximately 80MBps when not operating in ACHI mode (BIOS configuration)". But they seemed to have missed the horrible write performance of the Samsung MLC/JMicron combination SSD that anandtech picked up on in their recent review.

One other thing i found at yet another review site was the fact that SSD performance seems to drop a bit the more you fill the drive up. Though i forget which site caught that.

===

This is all stuff i expect storage review to have already figured out, and have already reviewed drives based upon. This is supposed to be THE PLACE ON THE INTERNET for all storage reviews, and right now it really isnt.

This is all stuff i expect storage review to have already figured out, and have already reviewed drives based upon. This is supposed to be THE PLACE ON THE INTERNET for all storage reviews, and right now it really isnt.

I hear you... The site admins have travelled along other paths the past years and noone else has taken over. Personally I can understand that their priorities have changed.

This review just hit today. The ioDrive from Fusion-IO. One PCI-E SSD. 800MB/S sustained throughput. 100,000 random IOPS. The link is http://www.dvnation.com/Fusion-IO-IODrive-...ive-Review.html

DV Nation has links to TONS of independent reviews at http://www.dvnation.com/news.html . This month's Computer Power User Magazine has an awesome multiple SSD review spread. The last issue of MaximumPC Magazine has a bunch of high-end gaming PCs powered by SSDs of various brands.

I'm pretty amazed at the total lack of SSD reviews. You can find virtually every HDD on the market here, usually before they are even for sale in stores.

So far i only see 2 SSD drives on the benchmark boards, though the bar for the .1ms response time is displayed incorrectly. But if you click on the drives to read their review they are non existant.

Going to newegg, you can find a fairly large selection of affordable SSD drives already, SLC and MLC. Sizes with SATA or SATAII connectors ranging from 32gb up to 128gb. Prices seem to be falling very quickly too. I believe the price is now low enough that people that would normally consider drives like the velociraptor are looking into SSD's instead.

Are SSD's going to be reviewed here, or will the site just slowly die over the next 5 years as SSD's start replacing HDD's as the primary storage medium for computers?

I just called DV Nation who does have a few in stock. They are selling the 80gb model for around $3000. So yea.... And here i thought Intel was overcharging when i heard their 80gb MLC models' MSRP was set at $599.

Also, the IO Drive wont work with any 32bit OS's, Vista support is currently lacking AND you cannot use it as a boot device. Though the last 2 of those 3 quibbles should be fixed by the end of the year, or so they say.

Edited by Sean1

Nah, you're just not used to SSD pricing.

Until the OCZ Core series and the new Samsungs (which OCZ just slaps their sticker on), $3000+ was the going rate for a 64GB SSD with decent performance. If you wanting ant-like 5KB/sec writes for small cluster sizes then you could get away cheap, aside from that, well you had to pay to play...

Nah, you're just not used to SSD pricing.

Until the OCZ Core series and the new Samsungs (which OCZ just slaps their sticker on), $3000+ was the going rate for a 64GB SSD with decent performance. If you wanting ant-like 5KB/sec writes for small cluster sizes then you could get away cheap, aside from that, well you had to pay to play...

Well, not to mention the plain truth: Value based pricing.

If the benches are really true (and i guess they could. Just looking at the board makes you realize they did quite some effort to get it fast), then this board yould replace at least a 6 rack-HE worth of SAS disks if IO is the limiting factor. 3K (or 5K for the 160GB version) would be an absolute steal, even if it would have to be replaced after.

But on a totally different level: Noticing that ALL flash HDs (even the biggest ones) are just relatively small boards, i think making them PCI-E cards would be the most sensible thing in the long run, as soon as OS compatiblity has improved.

I mean, why bother siphoning the stuff through SATA if you can just put it into the board? Intel shows us that even now, SATA is starting to get limited. Plus the Disks are so small that you cannot use standard bays anyway (1.8" is the same price and capacity as 2.5"...).

Convenience, plus the fact that multichannel SATA is dirt cheap to implement...

As someone who has seen the durability of SATA vs. PCI-e connectors proven many times, SATA is much more durable and tolerant of mistakes in current incarnations.

As someone who has seen the durability of SATA vs. PCI-e connectors proven many times, SATA is much more durable and tolerant of mistakes in current incarnations.

You are the first person i have ever seen that had something good to say about the durability of sata connectors.

You are the first person i have ever seen that had something good to say about the durability of sata connectors.

I had 2 friends who broke SATA connectors off of drives by merely trying to plug it in SATA cables. Drives are naturally gone.

I have to check twice if the cable is staying plugged in to the motherboard AND to the drive each time i touch something inside the case. Motherboard plug is always loose, it never stays fit, moves sideways giving the impression that it will come off any moment. Ditto for the hard disk. They come off so easily. You can get them securely connected on a fixed drive, but if you are shuffling drives every once in a while, you are out of luck.

I can say, by far, this is the worst implementation of any kind of fitting on a computer part. Year 2008.

Notice I said current incarnations. The original exposed SATA connector and cabling did, indeed, suck.

SATA2 adds the external surround for some additional friction locking and is a huge improvement. And locking SATA connectors do exist-- although as 6_6_6 has noted locking cables may actually be a terrible idea given I'd rather have the cable pop off than the connector snap.

Furthermore this is compared to PCI-e, which is-- relatively speaking-- much more easily damaged.

SATA2 adds the external surround for some additional friction locking and is a huge improvement.

I have those SATA2 connectors on my motherboard. But my cable is still lose inside that. It always moves.

I am afraid to use the cables with clips to tell you frankly. Each time i want to remove the cable, it feels like it is going to take the whole motherboard out with it. You can't catch them properly, and you cant understand if they are properly unlatched. Besides, SATA port on the drive is open from the bottom... and that clips is very very risky there. It is very simple to render the drive useless.

And locking SATA connectors do exist-- although as 6_6_6 has noted locking cables may actually be a terrible idea given I'd rather have the cable pop off than the connector snap.

continuum, those incidents were cables without clips. They broke off the connector while trying to plug that in. It is open at the bottom, and a bit of downward pressure can probably break them as was the case of my friends.

Furthermore this is compared to PCI-e, which is-- relatively speaking-- much more easily damaged.

Yes you are right. But a card would not be taken out of the mobo as frequently as a cable. Therefore it wouldn't be such an issue i believe.

How often does a hard disk get replaced in a normal system? Almost never... The SATA 1 connector is flimsy indeed but the SATA 2 connector with it's shroud is ok if used with decent cables. In some cases you really need cables with angled connectors. The HP business class pc's I used, had angled cables. Optionals hard disk drives usually came with 2 or even 3 different SATA cables. One straight and 2 differently angled cables.

How often does a hard disk get replaced in a normal system? Almost never...

Why almost never? We are all enthusiasts here. We plug/unplug, remove, shuffle drives all the time. Better than spending half a day backing up a TB drive to external USB drives.

And definitely much better than running WD Sync (happens automatically) on your WD passport drive... changing your system... bringing your passport drive back to copy your data to your new system... only to find out that WD Sync is not backup tool... and it synced your external drive to an empty drive and effectively erased all its contents without asking your confirmaion... And wait, no you cant do data recovery... coz WD Sync encrypts files.

I dunno about you, but the number of reseats a typical PCI-e slot or a SATA cable sees in its lifetime are typically very, very low.

It is open at the bottom, and a bit of downward pressure can probably break them as was the case of my friends.
We do this thousands of times a week here and have generally zero of these failures in a month. I would say it's not an issue with a modicum of training.

I love how this thread started as, “SR sucks! Review SS drives or fall into the voids of inequity,†to the finer arts of SATA connections.

Love it.

I love how this thread started as, “SR sucks! Review SS drives or fall into the voids of inequity,†to the finer arts of SATA connections.

Not so off topic considering that an SSD review was posted and that Fusion had PCI-X connector. I don't think it would warrant posting a new thread and besides, forum activity has been low, so this is an opportunity to talk about various aspects of SSDs without opening bazillion of topics that will get 1-2 responses. Besides, SSDs come with SATA connectors, dont they? So all is related to SSDs but i would agree that it strayed away from 'no SSD reviews on SR'... but it is still SSDs :)

I had 2 friends who broke SATA connectors off of drives by merely trying to plug it in SATA cables. Drives are naturally gone.

I have to check twice if the cable is staying plugged in to the motherboard AND to the drive each time i touch something inside the case. Motherboard plug is always loose, it never stays fit, moves sideways giving the impression that it will come off any moment. Ditto for the hard disk. They come off so easily. You can get them securely connected on a fixed drive, but if you are shuffling drives every once in a while, you are out of luck.

I can say, by far, this is the worst implementation of any kind of fitting on a computer part. Year 2008.

From a performance perspective, SATA or SAS add significant latency delay. Now, this delay may be measured in tens to 100 microseconds, which is nothing at all for a hard drive where the minimum latency is 4ms (4000 microseconds). But for flash devices, all that extra overhead is in the way. Its a protocol and design that is optimized for high latency devices.

yes, it is very strange that Eugene acts as if SSD's do not exist, or that het does not care about them.....

As for testing, HMTK, he can easily get some samples as others do, so your reply is very very strange.....

Jeff

WTF... you're replying to a thread over half a year old.

he can easily get some samples as others do

Define "easily". I think easy is different for a relatively small site like SR than it is for, say, Anand.