arga

Samsung 1TB HD103UJ: HDDScan problem (476 green blocks)

Reset the drive size with ES-Util or whatever it is (it's been discussed on this forum many times when a drive size gets reset to 32MB) and then test it again?

Reset the drive size with ES-Util or whatever it is (it's been discussed on this forum many times when a drive size gets reset to 32MB) and then test it again?

Here's one thread (discussing ES-Tool and MHDD on the Ultimate Boot Disk for fixing the problem):

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?...c=26970&hl=

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot.

I think I have solved the problem.

I have been posting here too:

http://forum.hddguru.com/samsung-1tb-hddsc...turn-t9764.html

Yes, after running the Secure Erase, and getting a "success" message, the size of my 1TB disk went down to 32MB!!

I ran Samsung's ESTOOL from a floppy. I ran a diagnostic. It found Bad Sectors, and suggested to do a Full Erase. Thus, instead of doing "Set Max Adress", I deleted the MBR and made a Low Level Format. Oviously, that didn't work.

Then I tried to Erase using HDDScan, but didn't work either.

Then I ran the DOS program MHHD>command NHPA, trying to set the Native LBA adress, but that didn't work either.

Then I tried HDD Capacity Restore Tool, suggested by forum member "rchadwick" in the other forum:

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/200...y-Restore-Tool/

And this worked like a charm. Its a very simple Windows utility.

And then, I could run HDDScan, and guess what? The number of green blocks was decreased by a factor of 5!!

Here are the results:

21compareaftereraseul6.th.png

Now I would like to know if my hard disk's structure is ok or not, after doing so many crazy things... but first I have to go to sleep :)

@continuum:

I see you have edited my first message in this thread, as I asked you, thanks.

but somehow the image doesn't work now.

The image at the beginning of this thread should be this one:

hddscancompqn8.th.jpg

Edited by arga

arga, this graph is not looking good to me. I have never seen a drive like that. I have 40+ drives here, i am taking hte inventories of drive fitnesses and none has a constant pattern of ups and downs like yours.

Something is not right. Faulty platter, faulty head, i dont know what. I hope some experienced members can enlighten us.

If i were you, i would do whatever you did with secure erase and send the drive for RMA saying the drive is dead. If you are persistent, they will give you a new drive i am sure.

I doubt the shop has the facility to verify drives thoroughly. Just set a master password and return it back saying you can't access it. They can see master password is set though if they check.

I hate when you have to deal with the people like these. The drive is faulty. Perhaps Samsung could have fixed it with a little effort. Why to force people to happy fellow it up to claim the warranty that is rightfully theirs?

There are DOS utilities to force slow sectors marked as bad but i have never tried this. If drive is at that stage, i would not trust my data with it. But it might work for you to claim a bad sector warranty.

Edited by 6_6_6

Hi 666:

yes, there is a constant pattern of "slowdowns".

These slowdowns correspond to the areas where the green blocks are concentrated.

They are located at 5%, at 10%, at 15%, etc

The shop has replied to me that they can try to do the RMA thing with Samsung,

but they don't know if Samsung will accept it.

Well, I don't know what to do, because the disc has improved a lot. A couple of

aditional erases and its perfect, I think. But of course, I will have to keep an eye on it

at the beginning to see if it gets worse again.

What I did was simply to run the Secure Erase of the University of California, but I chose not to erase the special areas of the disc. Then the disk's size was 32MB.

About forcing bad blocks, yes, in the hddguru forum, I was also suggested this idea:

the DOS utility MHDD can do that, and then I could RMA the disk. Now I have several ideas that you guys have told me.

I am going to test the drive a little more.

arga, with all this playing, you are aware that you will probably spoil the drive anyway. right?

Just few days ago i just corrupted a perfectly good drive. Format, scan, verify, etc... and at the end of the day the drive started developing bad sectors all over (my md5 sums never failed on that drive before and its graph was excellent).

@666:

oh, no I wasn't aware. Not many experts giving input.

Is HDDScan risky? I usually do surface scans in all my disks from time to time (read verify scan).

I am doing the Erase thing just in this drive. It was bad anyways...

@arga: Regarding the downsize to 32 MB: Please read the whole message before trying the solution :-)

Solution is possibly: Please update your mainboard BIOS to the latest available. There was a bug with Gigabyte boards supporting 1 TB drives correctly.

If you are now familiar with setting the drive to its max native size via ES-Tool and don't mind a small experiment, you could do me (and yourself) a favor:

As your 1 TB disk is empty, you won't lose any data. Now before updating the BIOS to the latest version (which version do you use at the moment?), put the 1 TB drive as the only connected hard disk to your board and boot one or two succesful boots (just past the POST screen where the PC tells you that it can't find an OS). Then see if the disk is again shrinked to 32 MB. I would be very interested in the result.

Afterwards, update the BIOS and set the disk back to full size with ES-Tool.

Thanks in advance (I hope you try it)

what exactly is a "Secure Erase"? if it is risky, what makes it "risky"?

Is, maybe, the head applying a stronger-than-usual magnetic field to the media?

Can this magnetic field cause damage to the media? Can the head itself be damaged because of the high current involved?

Usually a secure erase overwrites the disk not with zeros but with random numbers. In most cases not just once but several times.

Do you want try what I asked you?

I read the CMRR docs and they say that the drive can also alter the G-list. That is new to me:

Secure erase is a positive easy-to-use data destroy command, amounting to “electronic data shredding.†Executing the command causes a drive to internally completely erase all possible user data record areas by overwriting, including g-list records that could contain readable data in reallocated disk sectors (sectors that the drive no longer uses because they have hard errors).

I have just finished ERASING the drive again, this time with MHDD.

MHDD reports a correct capacity (1TB). It seems this time it wasn't shrinked to 32MB.

Also a MHDD message says that it has been ERASED using BIOS functions.

Edited by arga

Usually a secure erase overwrites the disk not with zeros but with random numbers. In most cases not just once but several times.

Do you want try what I asked you?

doesn't seem that this should damage the media. Just several writes to a sector, with the usual magnetic field...

Hey, 666, maybe the bad blocks you are getting are not bad blocks really. Maybe you screwed up some settings in your hard drive...

OK, not altering the G-list but accessing it and locating the remapped sectors. I got it wrong.

ok, so it simply erases these bad sectors that were deleted, isn't it?

The CMRR Secure Eraser offered me to erase special diagnostic areas of the disk, HPA and DCO.

I didn't know the meaning of these areas, so I refused to erase them. I don't know if this had something to do with the "shrinkage" to 32MB.

Also there was offered an "Enhanced" version of the Secure Erase, but I decided to use the "standard version".

Secure erase just uses drive's firmware built-in erase mechanism. I wouldn't call it risky.

arga, it is not about what commands are being issued. You are playing with lots of tools that access drive's internals. A bug in any of them about your controller, your BIOS, your drive, etc... Or a bug in the drive's firmware...

Well, if you are fiddling too much, you surely are likely to break it. It has happenned to me in the past too. I turned a perfectly good drive into a damaged one by fiddling too much with it using different tools.

Edited by 6_6_6

Now connect the 1 TB drive as the only hard drive to your board. It could have to do with the BIOS and I am very interested if the HPA is changed and the drive is cropped to 32 MB again.

@666:

very wise words. You are right, chances are very high that some paramenter could be toggled by error, cause an irreversible situation.

Another guy in the hddguru forums said something similar, but he didn't elaborate.

Also, he says that the green blocks that I have "fixed" will reappear soon. It is very possible. If a virgin platter has slow sectors is because the media has this natural tendency. If I correct it writing fresh bits, it is possible that they are corrected temporarily, but it will finally tend to the "natural" status.

Now connect the 1 TB drive as the only hard drive to your board. It could have to do with the BIOS and I am very interested if the HPA is changed and the drive is cropped to 32 MB again.

@weaker:

You are right!! It happened!!

I connected the drive as primary master, only drive.

Mode Compatible.

Rebooted a couple of times.

Then I looked at the capacity:

In BIOS: 33MB.

In ESTOOL: 31 MB (LBA: 65134)

ESTOOL diagnostic: Bad sector, erase recommended.

And my mobo has no BIOS with a fix for this. This means I cannot use this drive as primary master.

I didn't intend to use it as primary master, but anyways, gives me a bad feeling. Just imagine the disk is full of data and some day, for any reason, the drive is cut to 31MB!! will I lose the data?