Buzz

New motherboards rarely have PCIe X4 slot

I see todays motherboards from rarely have a PCIe X4 slot. Everyone has PCIe X16 slots offcourse, and usually a regular PCI and PCIe X1 slots, but no X4. So what do you do when you have a X4 card?? Like a SAS controller in my scenario. This is especially true for the AMD platforms out there, but also a lot of Intel chipset boards are lacking a X4 slot.

If you can't use a PCIe X16 slot instead, it suck big time. Both my Asus 939 boards have X4 slots in addition to the X16 and X1 slots.

Ok so i founbd out that in theory it should work, but youre not guaranteed anything.

It should work, but with X16 you may run into a problem b/c its primarily used for graphics.

In my old DG965WH, I have used x1 and x4 and currently using an x4 but that mobo has built-in video.

I see todays motherboards from rarely have a PCIe X4 slot. Everyone has PCIe X16 slots offcourse, and usually a regular PCI and PCIe X1 slots, but no X4. So what do you do when you have a X4 card?? Like a SAS controller in my scenario. This is especially true for the AMD platforms out there, but also a lot of Intel chipset boards are lacking a X4 slot.

If you can't use a PCIe X16 slot instead, it suck big time. Both my Asus 939 boards have X4 slots in addition to the X16 and X1 slots.

hmm. i think the x4 slot in your asus boards aren't really x4. they take x4 cards alright but according to their manual its limited to 1Gbps.

Thanx :) Seems cind of sluggish though. I would prefer a 4x slot like my old 939 boards from Asus has.