Buzz

Adaptec 3405 boot problem

Hey all!

I have a Asus A8N-SLI Premium board running as my server (Win 2003 Std).

The onboard SiliconImage controller is disabled.

For disk drives i have 2 Seagate 250GB in Raid 1 on an Adaptec 3405 SATA/SAS controller.

OS boots with no problem, except for when i install my Tekram controller also wich i use for my LVD tape drive (and only that).

With the Tekram installed i get a disk error and the board refusing to boot. I can boot on DVD-ROM or floppy though.

I have checked the motherboards BIOS and it is the Adaptec controller that is listed as boot disk. The Tekram is not listed at all.

Also, if i put the OS onto a third disk connected to the onboard ATA controller i can boot with both Adaptec and Tekram controller installed.

Anyone know how to solve this? I really need the tape drive for backup :(

Oh, and another thing.

When both controllers are installed, Symantec Ghost can't find the Adaptec Raid volume and such i can't ghost images to/from that Raid volume. However, if i remove the Tekram controller, Ghost both see the Raid volume and can ghost images to/from it without problems.

Try disabling the BIOS on the Tekram controller. You don't need if you're not booting with that controller. Maybe it's just the BIOS that is conflicting with the Adaptec RAID.

Try disabling the BIOS on the Tekram controller. You don't need if you're not booting with that controller. Maybe it's just the BIOS that is conflicting with the Adaptec RAID.

You can disable the BIOS? Didn't know that. Will trie that if i can figure out how :)

Bummer... I am used to Adaptec controllers and you can disable the BIOS on many of them. BTW, I use an Adaptec 29320 for my tape drives and it does not conflict with the Adaptec 5805 RAID card.

Hm, well then i might have a solution after all. I have bought a used Adaptec 29160LP 1CH U160. Should be on its way in the mail by now. Hope this will work instead of the Tekram then :)

29160LP has arrived and my server now boots with both controllers installed :) But only if my tape drive (Tandberg SLR7) is not connected. :(

The 29160LP BIOS post will show up first aswell as opposed to the Tekram showing up second to the 3405 Raid's BIOS.

If the tape drive is connected the 29160LP won't show it's post screen (only 3405 Raid's BIOS will show at post/boot)and windows device manager shows the 29160LP as a device wich has trouble starting. :huh:

Edited by Buzz