Sign in to follow this  
6_6_6

DELETING 1.1 GB from WINDOWS folder: Howto

Now your machine is 1 GB lighter.

1GB cost from $0.5 (HDD) to $4.5 (SSD)

I don't spend 5mn to claim 1GB...and anyway, I avoided Vista piece of crap.

==> I used to spend some time on NLite XP customization to remove a lot MORE GBs on ALL my installations !

1GB cost from $0.5 (HDD) to $4.5 (SSD)

In some scenarios 1GB might be more than that. Might require upgrade to a higher capacity drive.

I use nlite to remove crap too. However, this is for already existing installations. Say... your cousin... or average goon with preinstalled laptop, or those who back up the very fonts they are trying to delete to save space from OS partition to windows folder and complain when the program with source code in a topic that reads 'DELETING 1.1GB FROM WINDOWS FOLDER' deletes them. It might clean up their mess.

I don't use it. But have friends who find it useful and asked me to put on the net.

I did some testing and the program deletes 1.1GB nett. Those are not hardlinks as others suggested. You will have 1.1GB more to your free space.

I also tested hard links and they are not taking space. So most of WinSXS being hardlinks is bullshit too.

The program deleted all these from WinSXS folder and others said those are hard links that program deleted and they don't take up space. Whatever fonts are deleted, 1.1GB gone from that drive after running the program.

Works with Win7 and 2008 Server R2 as it is. 1 GB gone. No hardlinks, no junctions. Nett 1GB of files.

Here is a single exe that will do it all. Just download it anywhere and run it.

delete_crap_full.exe

NOTES

1. If there is a file callled files_to_delete.txt in your root of windows partition, it will use that file. If not, it will create one with the defaults.

2. It will create the files REMOVED_files.txt and FAILED_files.txt as above. REMOVED_files.txt will include how much space it deleted at the end.

3. If you want to see the outcome run the exe from a COMMAND PROMPT.

4. This one will use only the SYSTEM DRIVE. If you have Windows at C:, it will delete from C: only. If you dual boot, you cannot use this to delete from the other partition. Use the other exe or run the script.