Sign in to follow this  
jakeo

Is storagereview.com still actively review drives?

I have noticed that storagereview.com has not posted a review since april of 2008. There appears to have been only two articles this year as compared to six articles by this time the previous year.

I am saying this because I have been one of the many quiet readers that have enjoyed storage review over the years and have tried to pass on to as many people as possible what a great resource it is for drive information and communicating the importance of the hard drive in the overall performance of any machine.

I just thought there should be some open communication/announcements about this. Rather than having readers like myself simply wonder what happened. I've just gotten so used to finding the latest drives and performance information here on storagereview, I have taken it for granted over the last 9-10 years or so. Rather than just quietly moving to other sites to pick of the necessary storage information, I thought I would write this post.

I simply assume that there has been a reduction in staff at storagereview.com and/or Eugene has had other personal/professional commitments that necessitate a reduction in the amount of drives reviewed and articles written.

I don't want this post to be simply a "nag session", so I wanted to end it by stating how thankful I am to storage review and Eugene for the vast amount of drive information that I have learned on storagereview.com

thanks

jakeo

hard drives dont get released frequently, and storagereview.com often takes some time to publish results. the april review was actually pretty exceptional, in that they reviewed a drive basically as it was being announced. i have faith more reviews are forthcoming.

rektide

> I have been one of the many quiet readers that have enjoyed storage review over the years and have tried to pass on to as many people as possible what a great resource it is for drive information and communicating the importance of the hard drive in the overall performance of any machine.

That is me, too! I also hope storagereview continues to lead the way as it has done in the past.

There's also a few new drives in the DB that never got an official review, the Samsung F1 and I think the Seagate Cheetah NS as well... *shrugs* Not quite sure why they never got an actual review. (actually maybe the Cheetah NS did get a review?)

Guest Vantage72

It would be nice to see a roundup of the latest notebook harddrives. I think a lot of people are waiting for this.

The new Hitachi 7K320, WD3200BEKT, Seagate 72200.3 and OCZ Core SSDs.

Yes, thanks Eugene for an amazing source of info. ;) I have cited your reviews countless times. Hopefully you can recruit some other reviewers to take the burden off yourself, although they would have to duplicate your testbed.

I wonder how SSDs will change the landscape of storage though. It really reduces the variables when you have millisecond access times and flat transfer rate speeds.

storavereview is sort of dead it seems.

I can't enter my drives in the reliability survey because they aren't listed as an option. Entire Seagate 7200.10 and 7200.11 families are missing! Same goes for WD 6400AAKS. Sad

Basically only the forums seem to really be alive

Donation link

That was too hard to find. What happened to the "Donate!" link on every page, Eugene? Bring it back!

As for staffing, SR used to be run by Eugene and Davin. I've not heard anything of Davin for years - he doesn't review drives or post to the forums, but for all I know he may do stuff in the background like generating the website, managing finances, securing review samples. There are a few voluntary editors that proofread Eugene's articles, and people like Continuum who moderate the forums, but as far as reviews go, it seems to be a one man band - and that man also has a day job, AFAIK! Spread the word, buy stuff from advertisers, and everywhere you go say "I saw it on StorageReview.com", petition drive (and SSD) makers to send review samples, write to your MP, congressman, president, monarch... the higher the profile (and profit) the site has, the more chance we can get at least Eugene working on it full time! At present, it seems to be more of a public service, labour of love type website - maintained just so that there's at least one website out there getting drive reviews right!

There is stuff forthcoming, but it takes a while to come through. It seems only the most exciting products are getting full reviews at the moment, because Eugene has to ration his time. It used to be that performance database results came out a few days before the full review write-up, but in some cases that seems to be all we're getting. I guess if you can see for yourself that it's not as fast as the competition, what more needs to be said?

This does impact the usefulness of the reliability database, due to the rule about only including drives that have been reviewed. Maybe we should drop that rule, though I'm sure there were good reasons when it was originally implemented.

Me? I believe SR has a future, and these forums (this community) help to keep it going through tight times. As long as people notice when new stuff appears, and still respect it as an authoritative source of information, and it manages to review at least the cream of the crop in the various market segments, then it's got a good chance of keeping going. But I agree, it would be nice to see more reviews, and in some ways it's a vicious circle. Hopefully SSD reviews will revitalise this site a bit. It comes down to how much people care about storage performance.

Donation links need to be everywhere. Any time someone feels like they got some value, they should feel comfortable to paypal a buck to the site.