Sign in to follow this  
moshglock

WD1001FALS and WD7501AALS performance data: When?

Yesterday I noticed that Newegg finally listed the WD1001FALS. ...Just 3.5 weeks after WDC announced that they would be available "next week." ...Still no word on when the WD7501AALS will be available.

I am dieing to buy new disks, but I want to see true performance data for these new WDC drives before I make my decision on what to order.

Has anyone seen performance reviewed any where??

Thanks,

Nick

Alls I know is that Maximum PC was going to have a review "yesterday" last month, so something obviously happened with the drives to delay them...

Hitachi just announced their new 1TB drive too FYI, so we'll see which comes to fruition first. WD pulled a bit of a F1 with their new drive taking so long :)

Interesting. Both drives trade benchmark blows. Certainly no performance reason to choose one over the other.

That's pretty much what I took from it. The only sway factors that I see are brand preference or price per gig.

Interesting. Both drives trade benchmark blows. Certainly no performance reason to choose one over the other.

That's pretty much what I took from it. The only sway factors that I see are brand preference or price per gig.

I would guess that Western Digital would be improving performance with newer firmware updates?

What about noise/heat/power ?

vs the 5400RPM WD1000FYPS/WD10EACS ?

(I suppose the black caviar is more performant ?)

It' s for a 8*1TB drive array with areca controller (24/7 homeserver/download, so silence & powersaving needed)

Samsung F1 looks nice but is it really reliable now ?