Cavicchi

Running SATA as PATA

I discovered that my newly purchased motherboard, Gigabyte EX38-DS4, runs SATA as PATA if not doing RAID. While I intend to use two hard drives, the second one is for backing up manually. I prefer the manual method rather than a RAID setup, mainly because performance suffers and a virus could knock out both drives.

Since I have to run SATA as PATA with this motherboard, I do not get the 300Gb transfer rate, only PATA rate. Will I lose any performance running SATA as PATA?

I guess this sounds strange, running SATA as PATA, so let me throw in that the hard drives get connected to SATA ports but BIOS has to be configured for drives to run in PATA mode, unless you do RAID, or maybe AHCI, not sure about the latter.

I discovered that my newly purchased motherboard, Gigabyte EX38-DS4, runs SATA as PATA if not doing RAID. While I intend to use two hard drives, the second one is for backing up manually. I prefer the manual method rather than a RAID setup, mainly because performance suffers and a virus could knock out both drives.

Since I have to run SATA as PATA with this motherboard, I do not get the 300Gb transfer rate, only PATA rate. Will I lose any performance running SATA as PATA?

I guess this sounds strange, running SATA as PATA, so let me throw in that the hard drives get connected to SATA ports but BIOS has to be configured for drives to run in PATA mode, unless you do RAID, or maybe AHCI, not sure about the latter.

Someone has told me PATA/IDE is just native SATA mode, and I will get the full transfer rate of my disk, which would theoretically be 3Gb/s.

Use AHCI if you are going to put vista on the machine. Thats "sata" mode. XP doesn't have the drivers for it built in though, so you may have trouble installing it. Vista works fine with AHCI.

Use AHCI if you are going to put vista on the machine. Thats "sata" mode. XP doesn't have the drivers for it built in though, so you may have trouble installing it. Vista works fine with AHCI.

I will be installing it on Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I am also installing a SATA optical drive, and I heard there could be a problem with SATA optical drives and AHCI. So, I was thinking it best to avoid any issues and not use AHCI, which I think also needs that F6/floppy install. Since I am not doing RAID, why would I need AHCI? Also, in the BIOS it says installing in OS higher than Windows 9X/ME to use SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode (intel ICHR9 Southbrige) Enabled--Allows for SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode.

Put it into AHCI, you should be fine. AHCI is required for NCQ support and whatnot on the ICH9R.

I guess this sounds strange, running SATA as PATA,
It's not PATA "mode" per se-- it's still SATA, they just get "displayed" in BIOS like PATA drives.

Put it into AHCI, you should be fine. AHCI is required for NCQ support and whatnot on the ICH9R.
I guess this sounds strange, running SATA as PATA,
It's not PATA "mode" per se-- it's still SATA, they just get "displayed" in BIOS like PATA drives.

Is there any advantage for me to install with AHCI when not doing RAID? I discovered Vista SP1 has a hotfix for the SATA optical problem, so that's no longer an issue. If I do use AHCI, will I need to install a driver using F6/floppy?

I contacted Gigabyte tech support because my board does not have that small heatsink on the back as shown in review pictures and on Newegg, and I asked about the PATA/SATA issue. I was told the heatsink was only for reference design and not production models. Also, I was told the only advantage using AHCI would be for hot plug in Vista.

"As I understand it, with Vista I get NCQ even without AHCI."

No you don't!

Why are you bothering to ask questions if you are not prepared to listen?

"As I understand it, with Vista I get NCQ even without AHCI."

No you don't!

Why are you bothering to ask questions if you are not prepared to listen?

Well, I asked on the Gigabyte forum and was told with Vista I do get NCQ. I even called Gigabyte and was told the only difference is I won't have hot plug/swap.

I don't hold Gigabyte engineers in high regard, countless design flaws in past products does not inspire confidence in their ability, and I'd say their Level 1 techs manning the phones would be as clued in as an inebriated badger.

I don't hold Gigabyte engineers in high regard, countless design flaws in past products does not inspire confidence in their ability, and I'd say their Level 1 techs manning the phones would be as clued in as an inebriated badger.

Well, the moderator on a Gigabyte forum also told me that as well. In fact, I asked about the difference on two Gigabyte forums and was told by both moderators and a supposedly knowledgeable person the only thing I lose is Hot swapping/Hot plug.

Since it sounds like you are installing vista, just use AHCI. Vista has built in support for AHCI, even in the installer. It will work fine without any intervention on your part.

The only reason to use the IDE mode is if you are using an older OS without support for AHCI.

Since it sounds like you are installing vista, just use AHCI. Vista has built in support for AHCI, even in the installer. It will work fine without any intervention on your part.

The only reason to use the IDE mode is if you are using an older OS without support for AHCI.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is a driver has to be installed during the loading of OS for AHCI, and not heard/read it's different for Vista.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is a driver has to be installed during the loading of OS for AHCI, and not heard/read it's different for Vista.

Your understanding is wrong. Vista has it built in.

Vista has built-in support for NCQ, but moderator on Gigabyte forum says driver for AHCI must be installed during installation of Vista.

Edited by Cavicchi

Vista has built-in support for NCQ, but moderator on Gigabyte forum says driver for AHCI must be installed during installation of Vista.

I mean, driver is needed for using AHCI. NCQ is supported in Vista without AHCI. There appears to be no reason for using AHCI if not doing RAID.