Cavicchi

E8400 runs 1.9 GHz at idle?

I was about to place my order for this CPU when I read a comment on Newegg that said the E8400 runs at 1.9 GHz idle and goes to 3.0 GHz when a load is put on it. This sounds kind of weird to me. What do you all think about this? Is it true? The processor is rated for 3.0 GHz.

Edited by Cavicchi

That's with Speedstep enabled (AMD's equivalent is PowerNOW! or something)-- it reduces processor frequence and voltage at idle to reduce power consumption.

Perfectly normal.

Thanks guys!

You want it to drop down the speed when its not needed, this reduces the power consumption & heat that it outputs.

When a load is put on it, the speed ramps back up - it ramps up so quickly you will never notice outside of running cpu-z or something and

seeing that its running below the rated speed. Fire up super pi or something and you will see it runs at the rated speed.

Thanks guys!

You want it to drop down the speed when its not needed, this reduces the power consumption & heat that it outputs.

When a load is put on it, the speed ramps back up - it ramps up so quickly you will never notice outside of running cpu-z or something and

seeing that its running below the rated speed. Fire up super pi or something and you will see it runs at the rated speed.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. All of you have put my mind at ease. I ordered the E8400 along with other stuff for my new build.

You guys here are really great, and that's what makes this forum so special.

If you're running Windows XP, make sure your power management in the control panel is set to "Minimal Power" management, otherwise the speedstep doesn't get used.

Don't remember what Vista does, or if it enables it by default.

I will be installing Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my new build, so that information would be useful. Perhaps someone else knows how I could check for it.

Just install vista, it ought to work by default. You can verify this with cpu-z - if you aren't doing anything it ought to read below the rated speed.

I know i certainly didn't have to do anything to enable it, and judging by the # of forum posts by people complaining about their cpu's running 'slow' online, most people don't have to do anything for it to work either :)

Just install vista, it ought to work by default. You can verify this with cpu-z - if you aren't doing anything it ought to read below the rated speed.

I know i certainly didn't have to do anything to enable it, and judging by the # of forum posts by people complaining about their cpu's running 'slow' online, most people don't have to do anything for it to work either :)

:D

Thanks, I will check it out when the new build is finished, if Vista allows me to check it out. ;)