Sign in to follow this  
slimeballzz

Is "RAID" edition hard drives worth getting?

I plan on setting up a RAID 5 array for mainly storage and was wondering if paying the premium for raid edition hard drives is worthwhile or am I better off spending less and sticking with regular hard drives?

I plan on setting up a RAID 5 array for mainly storage and was wondering if paying the premium for raid edition hard drives is worthwhile or am I better off spending less and sticking with regular hard drives?

The Raid edition may contains important features as a way to limit the time of error recovery that a disk spend in case of a read/write error. If you don't limit this response time (<7s usually), the raid card will drop the disk even if only 1 sector was concerned by an error. Desktop edition benefits from a long error recovery process.

Anyway, I am almost sure some desktop edition allows to set this kind of time limit.

In a Raid edition, you may although have TWO connectors (sas/sata/fc/...) allowing 2 raid controllers to access the same disk offering a HCA redundancy

In a Raid edition, you may although have TWO connectors (sas/sata/fc/...) allowing 2 raid controllers to access the same disk offering a HCA redundancy

Thank you for all the input.

I'm assuming it probably wouldn't be worthwhile for me to get the raid edition if it's for a home storage/media server?

Nope, probably not, unless you plan on high-end hardware RAID (e.g. Areca ARC-1231, 3ware 9650SE, Adaptec 5405, etc...). :P

I did have the ARC-1231 in mind..

Can you recommend a RAID card with at least 12 SATA ports and PCI-E that is not as high end?

...at least 12 SATA ports and PCI-E that is not as high end?

Contradition in terms...IMHO. The market just kind of assumes that if you are using 12 disks for anything, you are serious about your storage.

And if you are using any RAID form at all, then the RAID version may be to your benefit. As mentioned above, the time out for read failures is usually differrent, and there may also be performance tuning differences designed more for server workloads.

Of course, the sheer expense of many of these RAID editions kind of works against the very concept of Redundant Array of INEXPENSIVE Disks...lol. So the price difference just may not be worth it...certainly you can get by with out them.