Sign in to follow this  
paulsiu

Formatting a 500 GB USB hard disk takes days!

Hi,

Recently, I purchased a SATA 500 Gb drive and hook them up to a USB 2.0 to Sata interface. In Vista's disk manager, I did a format on the drive, but after 12 hours, it was still 15% complete.

Is there a problem with the drive or does formatting always take so long. Note that I am not taking about quick format but the standard format. Is this because I am doing this through usb.

Paul

sounds like its running much closer to USB 1.1 speeds, instead of USB2.

(500,000,000,000 * 0.15) / 12 / 60 / 60 = ~1.7MB/sec. USB1.1 is about 1.5MB/sec. should be getting 20-40MB/sec instead.

Problem appears to be Vista related. I have two laptops, both running Vista. A 33 Gb copy from one USB 2.0 HD to another takes 80 mins on a XP machine and 10 hours on a Vista machine. The XP machine is definitely slower (it use an Athlon XP while the laptops are Turions and Memrom class Celeron.

There appears to be a USB issue with Vista.

Paul

Problem appears to be Vista related. I have two laptops, both running Vista. A 33 Gb copy from one USB 2.0 HD to another takes 80 mins on a XP machine and 10 hours on a Vista machine. The XP machine is definitely slower (it use an Athlon XP while the laptops are Turions and Memrom class Celeron.

There appears to be a USB issue with Vista.

Paul

Vista works fine with usb2, you may need to track down drivers from the manufacturer / chipset manufacturer to enable full usb2 support however.

Vista works fine with usb2, you may need to track down drivers from the manufacturer / chipset manufacturer to enable full usb2 support however.

It appears not be be a usb 1.1 issue. I took a look at the device manager and the usb comes up with "enhanced" in the name, a sign that the drivers are usb 2.0.

It did not actually took 8 hours to copy. After waiting a bit, the time goes down to something more reasonable. I do notice that the copying speed was roughly a bit below 3 Mb/s, I thought that was somewhat slow. Copying appears to be faster under XP.

Paul