Sign in to follow this  
phoenix

Vista Start Menu, how to get back to XP

Help! In versions of Windows previous to Vista, there was no funky clunky searching replacing the start menu. This made keyboard shortcuts very easy. For example if I wanted to start Internet Exploder, I only needed to hit the windows key then the "I" key on the keyboard, and boom, it was launched. I could do all sorts of these things in less than a second from developing some finger memory.

Then came Vista. The windows key brings up the Start menu, but hitting I starts up some clunky search thing. After a couple of seconds I have a list of everything that began with "I" and now I have to up arrow/down arrow through it or use the mouse to pick which one I want. It's incredibly annoying. I've been using XP lately and realizing what a step backward Vista was for me in this regard.

Is there a way to turn off all the Vista start menu searching crap and make it behave exactly as it did in XP? Where if I want to run an .exe I type Windows-R? Email is Window-E? Hitting any key with the start menu open highlights the first item that begins with that letter--and launches it if it's the only thing on the start menu's "home page" that begins with that letter?

Vista can go back to the Windows XP/Windows 2000 interface, kinda sorta. I'm not near a Vista box at the moment but it was stupidly easy to do. Yes, Windows-R loads a run prompt on my Vista x64 box at work. :P

Practicing your google-fu to find this out might be easier and faster than waiting til tomorrow. :P

I've been using XP lately and realizing what a step backward Vista was for me in this regard.

I actually find Vista to be far superior than XP in this regard. I now have nearly instantaneous access to every installed program (and documents too, if I choose) right from the keyboard. Try typing in a few more letters and Vista will instantly (at least on my machine) narrow down the results. It will also prioritize the stuff you use more often up at the top.

For instance, if I tap the Windows key and hit just "i", the first choice is "FastStone Image Viewer". The second choice is "Internet Explorer". If I typed "in" instead, Internet Explorer would have been the default. If I want Firefox instead, I type "fir". OpenOffice Writer? Type "wri". DVD Decrypter? "dv". DVD Shrink? "sh". etc., etc. It does real-time matching on the words in the program name, so it's quite easy to find exactly what you need with just two or three keystrokes.

Now if you're an extremely slow typer :blink:, or just prefer something more efficient, create QuickLaunch icons for your most-used apps. This is the same QuickLaunch that's in XP, where small application icons appear on the task bar, usually on the left side of the screen, just next to the Start menu. With Vista, the Win+1 through Win+9 shortcuts are linked to those icons. In my case, Cygwin is the first icon in the QuickLaunch folder, and thus Win+1 fires up a Cygwin shell. Firefox is the second icon; that's Win+2. Photoshop is Win+3, Bridge is Win+4, etc.

Email is Window-E?

I don't know what version of Windows you're used to, but Win+E always opened up a new Explorer window... this has not changed with Vista.

I guess old habits die hard. I've never used the XP start menu and I doubt I'll use the Vista start menu. It's not bad but I like to use what I'm used to :) Now Office 2007... that's horrible!

BTW anyone know how to make Vista use the classic Windows 2000 search?

Right click on the taskbar, go to Start Menu... you can do some customizing there. I forget what else you need to change, but I have my Vista behaving mostly like XP.

And Window-E is an explorer window.

I normally do Window-R then type in the first few letters of the program I need to run, that's my habit at least...