ewart

RAID 10 Performance Slower than single disk on ICH9R

I am having the same issue (Raid 10 slower than non raid). I am running Asus P5K Premium & Seagate 7200.11 (ST3500320AS) drives.

My first question to mervincm, under the Intel Matrix Storage Manager only 1 of the 4 drives has "Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled" showing as Yes. The drive that has it set to Yes was a replacement drive and hence not bought with the original 4. I cant see anyway to change this setting. The windows and IMSR write cache settings dont seem to have any impact on the Hard Drive specific cache setting shown under the drive level properties shown the in the Storage Console. How do i change this setting?

Raid 10 - No Write Cache

Raid10-nowritecache.jpg

Non-Raid drive

NonRaid.jpg

Raid 10 - Write Cache

Raid10-writecache.jpg

These results don't look so bad, but using ATTO to benchmark (which includes write speeds) paints a bleaker picture.

Based on this I'm thinking write cache is the way to go, but i've had it on before and any crashes or failed shutdowns usally results in 4 hour Verify and Repair process.

I am having the same issue (Raid 10 slower than non raid). I am running Asus P5K Premium & Seagate 7200.11 (ST3500320AS) drives.

My first question to mervincm, under the Intel Matrix Storage Manager only 1 of the 4 drives has "Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled" showing as Yes. The drive that has it set to Yes was a replacement drive and hence not bought with the original 4. I cant see anyway to change this setting. The windows and IMSR write cache settings dont seem to have any impact on the Hard Drive specific cache setting shown under the drive level properties shown the in the Storage Console. How do i change this setting?

Raid 10 - No Write Cache

Raid10-nowritecache.jpg

Non-Raid drive

NonRaid.jpg

Raid 10 - Write Cache

Raid10-writecache.jpg

These results don't look so bad, but using ATTO to benchmark (which includes write speeds) paints a bleaker picture.

Based on this I'm thinking write cache is the way to go, but i've had it on before and any crashes or failed shutdowns usally results in 4 hour Verify and Repair process.