Sign in to follow this  
OliverBGD

Finally I got MTRON MOBI 32GB

mtronmobi32gbol4.th.png

The test was done on ICH9 so it is a bit slower but with a hardware raid card it should give you a perfectly straight line with perfect 80MB/sec. The Vista boot is not 10sec like they said but it is twice as fast. Mine loads from first bar until all the start-up programs load (O&O Defrag, NOD32, COMODO Firewall, Norton Ghost, Windows Sidebar) in 16 seconds.

It is very snappy, from internet browsing to opening adobe premiere; and the best thing everything is on one drive (page file, temporary files, OS, APPZ etc..) without slowing it down. My PC has no fan's at all (fanless PSU), so with this little thing I constantly have to look at the HHD led to see it work since I'm so use to hearing my 7200.11 and raptors work. It is also very very small and light, I thought I got scammed when I got the box because it felt like there was nothing in it.

How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking? I've noticed quite a bit of variance in the online prices for these

$699+shipping but even on EBay they sell for that much and more :( not much you can save on them at the moment since its new technology and they are 2nd fastest SSD now

It's a nice drive, but if you would have waited a couple week or so the 2nd geneneration SSD's are coming out (actually if you live in the UK they are already out) - This probably means price drops for the current models, and better performance for newer models

OCZ has released 2nd gen SSD (it's a rebadged Samsung)

32GB, 120MB/s read, 100MB/s write -MRSP $500 ($1099 for the 64GB)

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36441/135

(Note the listed one on Newegg is 1st generation, they won't be getting them for a few weeks yet)

Cheers

It's a nice drive, but if you would have waited a couple week or so the 2nd geneneration SSD's are coming out (actually if you live in the UK they are already out) - This probably means price drops for the current models, and better performance for newer models

(Note the listed one on Newegg is 1st generation, they won't be getting them for a few weeks yet)

Cheers

Yes I've seen the new OCZ not sure when it'll be released. Memoright released 120MB write and read (fastest SSD for now), and I was hoping that all the new SSDs would cause drop in old SSD prices, but unfortunately it didn't happen. What actually happened was that the Memoright SSD was much higher in price while MTRON kept its price. So I got tired of waiting...

But in reality extra 20-30MB won't make a difference to me since I'm using it for an OS+APPZ disk and considering that 8 x MTRON PROS in Raid 0 (800+MB/sec read write) increased the load time of OS by 1sec I don't think it'll make a huge difference between MTRON and new OCZ which is only 20-30MB faster.

That's a recipe for never buying any computer equipment. :)

Do you have a chance to perform some write performance tests?

Especially 8k blocks would be very interesting.

Here are Atto-256 bench results: (Done in Vista 64bit with NOD32, O&O Defrag, Norton Ghost, Comodo Firewall running in background)

attohn9.th.jpg

Thx.

Wow. Did they include some caffein in the flash cells? ;-)

This results looks basically very similar to my 150GB Raptor at 64k and higher. Below, my Raptor is typically faster at small block size reads,

the Mtron drive to my very surprise at writes. But i think, in large sequential writes of small blocksize (like database logfiles or data tablespace files)

the Raptor would be faster.

Imagine what these little beasts in a RAID0 setup on a raid controller with some cache could do. Wow.

But for common notebook usage, this Mtron drives seems to be a very very good alternative to 7K100 or 7K200 drives if HD space is not the biggest point.

=> It seems to be a very nice drive for my X60s.

Btw: To my knowledge, the Mtron 7000 Series is even faster.

Thx.

Wow. Did they include some caffein in the flash cells? ;-)

This results looks basically very similar to my 150GB Raptor at 64k and higher. Below, my Raptor is typically faster at small block size reads,

the Mtron drive to my very surprise at writes. But i think, in large sequential writes of small blocksize (like database logfiles or data tablespace files)

the Raptor would be faster.

Imagine what these little beasts in a RAID0 setup on a raid controller with some cache could do. Wow.

But for common notebook usage, this Mtron drives seems to be a very very good alternative to 7K100 or 7K200 drives if HD space is not the biggest point.

=> It seems to be a very nice drive for my X60s.

Btw: To my knowledge, the Mtron 7000 Series is even faster.

Mtron 7000 is faster but not worth twice the price of MOBI since MTRON 7000 (PRO) has been shown to only achieve 110MB writes instead of teh advertised 120MB writes, thats only 10MB faster on writes compared to MOBI. Also two MOBI 16GB will cost you as much as one MTRON 7000 16GB, but you will get a muc faster setup if in raid 0 :)

Well the question is then will it use the cache? From my understanding if a drive has cache and will connect to an HBA the drive sacrifices its cache and uses that of the HBA. The MTRON drive doesn't use any cache so will putting it on a card with cache might not do any good. Not sure here just theorizing.

Why should this disable the drives cache? In a good HBA setup, you can choose that if a controller accesses a disk drive

directly or through its cache. In last case, you have a kind of 1st level (on HBA) and 2nd level (on drive) cache..

Even for MTRON, it will do much good things. Cache consists of fast DRAM, the MTRON in comparison slow flash cells.

At writes, the HBA can collect small database block writes and flush them collected in bigger blocks to the drive.

And for reads, the MTROM "suffers" the SATA interface where the HBA is typically connected via PCI-E or PCI-X.

mtronmobi32gbol4.th.png

The test was done on ICH9 so it is a bit slower but with a hardware raid card it should give you a perfectly straight line with perfect 80MB/sec. The Vista boot is not 10sec like they said but it is twice as fast. Mine loads from first bar until all the start-up programs load (O&O Defrag, NOD32, COMODO Firewall, Norton Ghost, Windows Sidebar) in 16 seconds.

It is very snappy, from internet browsing to opening adobe premiere; and the best thing everything is on one drive (page file, temporary files, OS, APPZ etc..) without slowing it down. My PC has no fan's at all (fanless PSU), so with this little thing I constantly have to look at the HHD led to see it work since I'm so use to hearing my 7200.11 and raptors work. It is also very very small and light, I thought I got scammed when I got the box because it felt like there was nothing in it.

Wow! 1ms access time! and almost 80MB constant transfer rate! This is amazing! It must be very nice to play with these fast little guys.

32GB is plenty for a booting partition. I use a 7GB booting partition on my Fujitsu SCSI 15K hard drive and it is super fast. I still have like half free of the 7GB partition. On the rest of the drive I have ghost and Acronis images to rebuild from a disaster.

This type of hard drive would be the perfect choice for a silent pc. It seems like the proccessor's fan is the only one making noise at this point. Oh, and the case's fan. :D

Have you guys heard of or used this thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/32GB-2-5-SATA-MLC-SSD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

32gb 120mb/sec read and 30mb/sec write.. and "only" $250

seems like the perfect candidate for SSD RAID to me

Take a close look at the stats.

Its MLC.

While flash lifetime can be great with good write leveling, MLC is generally about 2 orders of magnitute less dureable.

But also cheaper (virtually all cheap thumb-drives and sd-cards are made of it)

Have you guys heard of or used this thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/32GB-2-5-SATA-MLC-SSD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

32gb 120mb/sec read and 30mb/sec write.. and "only" $250

seems like the perfect candidate for SSD RAID to me

Take a close look at the stats.

Its MLC.

While flash lifetime can be great with good write leveling, MLC is generally about 2 orders of magnitute less dureable.

But also cheaper (virtually all cheap thumb-drives and sd-cards are made of it)

For a laptop it will probably be fine... I'm annoyed that all the newer SSDs are only coming out in SATA, I want a 128GB 2.5" PATA SSD for my current laptop. It's going to be a while before I see a new laptop that offers any compelling reason to upgrade.

Still a bit too much :(

I need a price half to move to SSD (I need 4x 64gb drives for under 2k euros).