Sign in to follow this  
gfody

Raptors come home after 2.5year deployment!

Hello, you may remember back in Dec 05 when I put these 40 WD Raptors into a production SQL server

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=21408

Shortly after deploying the first server we deployed a 2nd, identical server with another 40 raptors. Together they performed very well as our main database servers under constant heavy load 24-7 for 2.5 years! I'm happy to report that we never lost a single drive! There are 4 hot spares that never saw a single IOP! Out of 80 drives, 24-7 intense use for 2.5 years - 100% survival!

Let this be a testament to the quality of raptor drives!

They will be going into some of our workstations around the office and maybe some will go on ebay..

000_0195.jpg

000_0196.jpg

:droolies: You are my new hero!

That's nice to know that they have held up that long. I had one of the first gen 74GB raptor and it just died on me last week. They sent me an updated revision which feels faster then the original.

Donating any? :c)

I'm happy to report that we never lost a single drive! There are 4 hot spares that never saw a single IOP! Out of 80 drives, 24-7 intense use for 2.5 years - 100% survival!

You fool! You could have run two 40-drive RAID0 arrays!!! (just kidding, of course) Nice to know the Raptors held up as well as they did. That was an impressively powerful server you built in 2005. What did you replace it with?

Edited by Jeff Poulin

Spending that much on a database server, I hope your new DB server uses RAID 1+0 and involves a SSD for DB acceleration of "hot" indexes, log files, and other areas of contention. Using a SSD in this way can dramatically improve DB performance.

This is definitely one of the times where you should spend time analyzing the data access patterns in your DB so you can optimize performance for your particular workload.

You fool! You could have run two 40-drive RAID0 arrays!!! (just kidding, of course) Nice to know the Raptors held up as well as they did. That was an impressively powerful server you built in 2005. What did you replace it with?
WOW. So what next?

Well, a lot has happened since that server went into production. Our small startup company was acquired by a much larger database technology company. So, we had some room to breathe with the replacement servers as far as the budget goes. We ultimately went with Dell servers and multiple MD1000s per server loaded with 15k SAS drives. There's a thread here if you're interested: http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=24663

Spending that much on a database server, I hope your new DB server uses RAID 1+0 and involves a SSD for DB acceleration of "hot" indexes, log files, and other areas of contention. Using a SSD in this way can dramatically improve DB performance.

Believe it or not this server was built on the cheap. The goal was to get the most performance possible for the least amount of money. At the time the Areca SATA raid controllers were the only way to get the new Intel IOP chips and these raptors were much, much less any enterprise SAS drives. Old-school wide scsi wasn't an option because of the low performing IO processors. SSD was of course way too expensive. :D

WOW. So what next?

Well, a lot has happened since that server went into production. Our small startup company was acquired by a much larger database technology company. So, we had some room to breathe with the replacement servers as far as the budget goes. We ultimately went with Dell servers and multiple MD1000s per server loaded with 15k SAS drives. There's a thread here if you're interested: http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=24663

Believe it or not this server was built on the cheap. The goal was to get the most performance possible for the least amount of money. At the time the Areca SATA raid controllers were the only way to get the new Intel IOP chips and these raptors were much, much less any enterprise SAS drives. Old-school wide scsi wasn't an option because of the low performing IO processors. SSD was of course way too expensive. :D

I understood the goal. I was merely commenting on the fact that, for the cost of several of the Raptors, you could have gotten an inexpensive SSD (possibly even nonvolatile) and used it to accelerate the application as well, and you might have realized higher performance by doing so.

I wasn't implying purchasing an uber-expensive SSD.