Cavicchi

Should I upgrade to Vista?

I ran the Vista advisor program that selected Vista Basic as the one to use. My question is if there is an advantage using that Basic version over my present XP Home Edition 32-bit, and I don't want the 64-bit version of either Vista or XP because of driver issues.

My system:

MB: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice

Video card: Gigabyte 7600 GT

Sound Card: Turtle Beach Montego DDL

What would I gain, if anything, by going to Vista Basic? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks for your help.

I ran the Vista advisor program that selected Vista Basic as the one to use. My question is if there is an advantage using that Basic version over my present XP Home Edition 32-bit, and I don't want the 64-bit version of either Vista or XP because of driver issues.

My system:

MB: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice

Video card: Gigabyte 7600 GT

Sound Card: Turtle Beach Montego DDL

What would I gain, if anything, by going to Vista Basic? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks for your help.

Despite what the advisor says, if you decide to get vista, i would at least get home premium. Basic seems to be missing a lot of things like the Aero interface & media center.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ons/choose.mspx

I don't know anything about the vista upgrade, but I always prefer to do a clean install when going to a new MS OS,

you can get the OEM (system builder?) full copies at newegg 140ish. You are supposed to buy hardware with this, and a new HD would go nicely, so you could easily go back to XP if you dont like vista by swapping your old drive in.

I don't know why it recommended Vista Basic when it said my Video card supports Windows Aero.

I do have another HD so that wouldn't be a problem. The only expense I have other than buying Vista is purchasing a new scanner that supports Vista, not a major expense at about $70 dollars.

What I don't know is if I could use Firefox as my browser. Would that be a problem?

I don't know why it recommended Vista Basic when it said my Video card supports Windows Aero.

I do have another HD so that wouldn't be a problem. The only expense I have other than buying Vista is purchasing a new scanner that supports Vista, not a major expense at about $70 dollars.

What I don't know is if I could use Firefox as my browser. Would that be a problem?

I use firefox at home fine on 32bit vista home premium. Do you have a reason to upgrade to vista? I got it because i built a new pc and decided to get the latest. I don't know how it works on 64bit.

If you dont have a direct need for directx10, MCE, 64bit, or some other vista feature its not really worth upgrading to on its own, especially since you'd have to reinstall all your software.

I use firefox at home fine on 32bit vista home premium. Do you have a reason to upgrade to vista? I got it because i built a new pc and decided to get the latest. I don't know how it works on 64bit.

If you dont have a direct need for directx10, MCE, 64bit, or some other vista feature its not really worth upgrading to on its own, especially since you'd have to reinstall all your software.

I don't need Directx10 or the other things you mentioned, but I was getting itchy to upgrade if it meant a significant improvement. Now, after doing some research and reading from the link below, I think I'll stay with XP. :)

I don't need Directx10 or the other things you mentioned, but I was getting itchy to upgrade if it meant a significant improvement. Now, after doing some research and reading from the link below, I think I'll stay with XP. :)

Heh, yeah, Vista is dissed pretty badly from almost everyone. I tried it on my brother's new (v powerful) ASUS laptop and it was pretty clear to me that it brought nothing to the table whilst being significantly slower because of all the bloat. Plus drivers problems and other bugs that still crop up (like the whole slow network transfers news, etc etc). I'll only get one copy of Vista if I absolutely must play a DX10 game in the future (Fallout 3 perhaps), but if I do get one I'm gonna get the Business Edition. I want my remote desktop and stuff.

Actually Vista is OK. If you don't like the GUI, change it. Had to do it with XP as well. Drivers are not a problem anymore on somewhat decently supported hardware. One MAJOR problem I have is that TV cards and 64-bit Windows (XP or Vista) just don't work together. Sure, the card itself will work but not the software from the manufacturer or the software to make it work with Media Center.

Personally I run Ultimate 32-bit but as soon as my TV card gets decent support under Vista 64-bit, I'm going to install Ultimate 64-bit and upgrade to 8 GB RAM so I can run more VM's.

Do not consider Vista Basic. Home Premium if you want multimedia stuff, Business if you need to use it in Active Directory and/or access the machine through remote desktop and Ultimate if you want it all. And only upgrade to Vista for a good reason.

Two good questions. If you have to ask I think the answer is "no". I know from my experience installing vista that the answer to both questions is "no!"

On a personal level, I was turned off as soon as I knew I'd have to throw away my soundcard :P It was only after that, that I got a chance to check out Vista on my bros comp and realised that I was totally not missing anything :P

I like vista home premium on my new machine. Other than just after install windows update trashing a driver, its been completely stable. I bought all new parts to build a new vista machine.

I really like media center(included in home premium), hadn't gotten to play with that before since i only had XP Pro, and not XP MCE.

I don't have anything bad to say about vista, i've had it installed since ~august last year.

The hauppauge vista driver support for a HD tuner i have from them is craptastic. Every other game or app i've tried to install works perfectly though.

Vista home premium 32bit, Intel dp35dp, E6850, 4gb ram, 8800GTS640, WD Raptor + WD 1TB, DVICO Fusion5 Gold ATSC Tuner.

I have been using vista 64 home premium for a while, and its nice. Definitvly a lot of "arg" stuff from xp fixed.

Simple things like the type ahead finding of startmenue items, or the much better S3 mode alone make it worth it.

No huge changes (this isnt Win98->Win2000), but many small details are better. I did change from XP-Pro, though, so i might be missing some stuff thats there that was not in XP home.

(although for me it was 64 because i wanted to use my full amount of RAM. its seems to be a bit future unproof to change to a 32bit OS at this point of time. You can get more RAM than it can handle for $80...)

I have been using vista 64 home premium for a while, and its nice. Definitvly a lot of "arg" stuff from xp fixed.

Simple things like the type ahead finding of startmenue items, or the much better S3 mode alone make it worth it.

No huge changes (this isnt Win98->Win2000), but many small details are better. I did change from XP-Pro, though, so i might be missing some stuff thats there that was not in XP home.

(although for me it was 64 because i wanted to use my full amount of RAM. its seems to be a bit future unproof to change to a 32bit OS at this point of time. You can get more RAM than it can handle for $80...)

The only reason I haven''t gone to 64-bit is drivers. I know my Sound card doesn't have 64-bit support--and I don't want to change my Sound card. Otherwise, for what I do on a computer, 32-bit operation is fine for me.

If you have to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, avoid it.

Also, be warned that vista's boot by default is awfully slow (slower than Win2000) if you don't have recent hardware (read: dual-core CPU strongly advised) and it requires at least 2GB for proper operation (read: browsing the web, typing a letter or simply using the explorer, dang it), wich leaves you 0.5GB free because of caching (it's a new by default "feature").

If you play games or do other memory hungry tasks (Photoshop, ....) you would have to upgrade to 3/4GB.

I bought a new laptop in october with vista Pemium and 1GB of RAM.

I was initially surprised by the not that slow speed, considering what I had read (as explained before), up to the point where I ran my firewall and virus scanner, which took it's toll by which time I "upgraded" to XP. Laptop is plainly useable now, and faster than it would have ever been under Vista, and that's for a brand new PC.

Edited by jamieshea

If you have to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, avoid it.

Also, be warned that vista's boot by default is awfully slow (slower than Win2000) if you don't have recent hardware (read: dual-core CPU strongly advised) and it requires at least 2GB for proper operation (read: browsing the web, typing a letter or simply using the explorer, dang it), wich leaves you 0.5GB free because of caching (it's a new by default "feature").

If you play games or do other memory hungry tasks (Photoshop, ....) you would have to upgrade to 3/4GB.

I bought a new laptop in october with vista Pemium and 1GB of RAM.

I was initially surprised by the not that slow speed, considering what I had read (as explained before), up to the point where I ran my firewall and virus scanner, which took it's toll by which time I "upgraded" to XP. Laptop is plainly useable now, and faster than it would have ever been under Vista, and that's for a brand new PC.

I am staying with XP and no longer thinking about upgrading to Vista. I don't have a dual-core CPU and no plans for building another computer at this time.