data

2 150 WD Raptors Raid 0 VS 1 Ultra 320 146 15k Cheeta

I am considering purchasing a Cheetah 15.5 Ultra 320 ST3146855LW SCSI drive for @ 265 USD The thought of 2 150 WD Raptors in Raid 0 sounds interesting: I've never tried a RAID system. My current game machine setup involves an Adaptec 39320 controller with a 37.6 Ultra SCSI drive that is out of room. I mostly game and need more space. I am trying to future proof my game machine that will only run games nothing else, so @ 150 GB would be all i need for the next, i don't know, a while i guess. The question is what would run/load/perform faster for that average amount of price, the RAID 0 Raptor 150's or 1 ST3146855LW 15K Ultra 320 Cheetah?

Seagate = 5yr warranty! Can add to my SCSI setup,

WD = New experience, negate the purpose of my current SCSI setup (which I love)

Decisions Decisions...

thanks for your inputs :)

data

Edited by data

I am considering purchasing a Cheetah 15.5 Ultra 320 ST3146855LW SCSI drive for @ 265 USD The thought of 2 150 WD Raptors in Raid 0 sounds interesting: I've never tried a RAID system. My current game machine setup involves an Adaptec 39320 controller with a 37.6 Ultra SCSI drive that is out of room. I mostly game and need more space. I am trying to future proof my game machine that will only run games nothing else, so @ 150 GB would be all i need for the next, i don't know, a while i guess. The question is what would run/load/perform faster for that average amount of price, the RAID 0 Raptor 150's or 1 ST3146855LW 15K Ultra 320 Cheetah?

Seagate = 5yr warranty! Can add to my SCSI setup,

WD = New experience, negate the purpose of my current SCSI setup (which I love)

Decisions Decisions...

thanks for your inputs :)

data

Despite their age, the Raptors outperform the Cheetah in single-user I/O, which is what counts for a desktop setup. So yes, I am saying that even one Raptor is better than a Cheetah 15K.5. Feel free to look for the Cheetah 15K.5 review on storagereview, it's there and you'll see what I mean. Furthermore, Seagate SCSI drives have always been targetted for servers and as such have always had very low single-user I/O scores, coming way short of other models. The 15K.5 for example doesn't even come close to last-gen drives from Fujitsu and Maxtor. Would be fantastic if storagereview could test out the new Fujitsus (like the MBA series) but I've stopped holding my breath for fear of dying.

Ok, so i bit the bullet on purchasing 2, 150 Raptors for a Raid Array. I am new to setting up and configuring a Raid Array. Are there any tricks to getting really fast performance?

thanks everyone,

data

I second that. RAID0 will result in really minimal performance gains for most games but may be a bitch to maintain and doubles your risk of DATA loss.

Windows files on 1 disk. Games on another disk is the way forward I reckon.

Edited by student

Yup I've seen a few articles over the years showing that game performance is at least as good as, if not better, when separating the Windows and games drives, rather than using RAID0. Although frankly, games only use the drives during loads basically, so it's nowhere near as vital a component as other parts. And as for cancelling one Raptor and using the existing SCSI, sounds like a reasonable way to save some money. Chances are though that the Raptor is faster than your existing SCSI drive, so it's your call on whether you want the second Raptor or not. In your shoes I'd probably use the existing SCSI for the OS and the Raptor for games etc.

Yup I've seen a few articles over the years showing that game performance is at least as good as, if not better, when separating the Windows and games drives, rather than using RAID0. Although frankly, games only use the drives during loads basically, so it's nowhere near as vital a component as other parts. And as for cancelling one Raptor and using the existing SCSI, sounds like a reasonable way to save some money. Chances are though that the Raptor is faster than your existing SCSI drive, so it's your call on whether you want the second Raptor or not. In your shoes I'd probably use the existing SCSI for the OS and the Raptor for games etc.

Ok, I'm gonna try that. I'll just format the drive and install games on it. I use to think there had to be an OS on the storage drive... yeah, go ahead and laugh :) but beyond that, both drives where shipped last night so I'd have to return the one... If I'd of known ahead of time I would of bought one huge a** drive that is comparable to the Raptor/and reasonable priced and put my game pc in that type of configuration.

Thanks for the help people :)

Cheers,

data

You have a 'gaming rig' based on a Netburst / Rambus combo, powering a VGA card that starred in Jurassic Park. Your current drive is 36GB & finally out of room. This tells me you're not a bit torrent freak. The SCSI disk you were looking at is $265, & I don't know exactly what 2 Raptors cost but I'd wager they're somewhere in the $350 - $400 range.

Call me crazy, but here's an idea. Get yourself a real cheap disk. Hell, $50 gets you 160GB & increases your current capacity by a factor of four. 2GB of DDR2 is another $40, bringing us to $90. A Radeon 3850 is about $180. You can use a $90 P35 board to warm your new $80 E2180 for a grand total of $440, or about $40 - $60 more than 2 Raptors.

Of course all this is moot if all you play is Quake 2.

maybe he's asking about a new hd for his new system? though i must say i can't believe u can game in 36Gb...i haven't had a drive that small since...well i don't remember! i can easily fill 500 without breaking a sweat...i just don't believe in uninstalling lol.

hah, i know, this system im on now is ancient! :D no, its for my game rig... which is, I'm embarrassed to say, ancient too... well, in the PC world

hah, i know, this system im on now is ancient! :D no, its for my game rig... which is, I'm embarrassed to say, ancient too... well, in the PC world

But looking at the current price situation, following is true, too:

Buying 4Gbyte of Ram and a 500Gbyte 7200rpm will fwill help a lot more than spending the same amount of money for a raptor (and no memory).

But looking at the current price situation, following is true, too:

Buying 4Gbyte of Ram and a 500Gbyte 7200rpm will fwill help a lot more than spending the same amount of money for a raptor (and no memory).

hmm...actually...well i dunno what your budget is like, but i tentatively disagree on the ram part. the raptor is a fine drive, though as suggested, i'd have a serious look at what is available in newer models for similar money, as you're likely to get much larger capacity and performance that is close enough for desktop usage.

i just wouldn't buy the RAM...you really should upgrade if you want to play more recent titles. a HD is fairly portable from system to system, but RAM almost never is, especially if it's RDRAM lol! you can put together a fairly decent system for about $900 apparently - crytek did it apparently.

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=c...5Build-your-own

so i'd buy the new HD if you need it, and then start saving.

My sig is not my gaming machine.

I am not upgrading my game machine platform for a while, atleast 1-2yrs when Nehalem comes down in price, thats if AMD doesn't offer anything better for the dollar.

Game Machine:

AMD FX60 @ 3Ghz

2GB PC3200 @ 500Mhz

ATI X1900XTX

37.6 15K Ultra 320 Maxtor*OS*

Adaptec 39320 Ultra 320 Controller Card

And @ 300GB storage from 2 WD Raptor 150's *Games*

My sig is not my gaming machine.

I am not upgrading my game machine platform for a while, atleast 1-2yrs when Nehalem comes down in price, thats if AMD doesn't offer anything better for the dollar.

Game Machine:

AMD FX60 @ 3Ghz

2GB PC3200 @ 500Mhz

ATI X1900XTX

37.6 15K Ultra 320 Maxtor*OS*

Adaptec 39320 Ultra 320 Controller Card

And @ 300GB storage from 2 WD Raptor 150's *Games*

ah! in that case, i would save and buy a new gfx card when you need it :). that's usually the first thing to get outdated unfortunately :(.