Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix1997

Selecting an OS drive for a 24/7 home server.

I have a machine that's running 24/7 performing the following tasks:

Prime95

BitTorrent (Linux ISOs and stuff :) )

File Server via shared drives

I was wondering whether to use the 18GB 10K SCSI drive that's being used as the OS drive now, or to put the OS on a 750GB SATA drive that'll be arriving shortly on a small partition, and use the rest of the drive for data storage. The reason I ask is an older 3GB drive I had the OS on previously, failed after about a year of 24/7 operation. It started off with parity errors on the controller which progressively got worse and worse.

The drive isn't going to be hammered unless I'm doing a backup onto DVD-R; 99.9% of the time the highest load the drive will see is maybe 2MB/sec, sequential. Would the 10K that hasn't failed me yet be more reliable than a new 750GB SATA drive?

Use the 750GB, it'll probably consume less power, if power consumption is an issue.

For reliability... depends more on how the drive is handled. If it's never been dropped or tossed around, then the 750GB should be ok...

Use the 750GB, it'll probably consume less power, if power consumption is an issue.

For reliability... depends more on how the drive is handled. If it's never been dropped or tossed around, then the 750GB should be ok...

Sweet, thanks!