Sign in to follow this  
silencer51

Seagate 750GB 7200.11 noise concerns

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a Seagate 750GB 7200.11 drive for my system. Although it has the infamous SD04 firmware on it, the onboard cache was recognized correctly by the BIOS.

However:

At totally random intervals, the drive clicks as if its spinning up. Funny thing is, it did this once while I was running HDTach (!) so I guess its not a spin-up noise...

I have run all the diagnostic utilities out there, and no problems are ever reported. The drive seems to perform well.

I also ran the 'Acoustic Check' on the DOS version of SeaTools - the noise I get when using the drive is the same as the noise produced by the acoustic check, when the drive spins up.

Should I be worried? Are all 7200.11 drives like this? Should I RMA the drive?

P.S. I have 2 seagate drives running on a couple of laptops and they both click at random intervals from new but they haven't presented a problem in over 2 years...

Have you checked the SMART Seek Error Rate? Does it deteriotate and/or is very low? I have noticed with my 7200.10 750GB drives(ST3750640AS firmware rev. 3.AAE) that this noise is related to seek errors and only 3 of my 34 drives have this problem, which is quite a high incidence nevertheless. There are no read errors, bad sectors or sector reallocations and the drives pass the seatools long dst.

I went through two of these from Newegg.com they both had the same issue you listed (mine were the 500 GB ones), but they passed all the rest I ran. I didn't want to take a chance, and it was annoying to say the least, no HD in this day in age should be that loud if its only 7200 RPMS. Ending up going with the Hitachi Ultrastar instead.

I also have this exact same click sound on a couple of 7200.11 1TB drives. It is highly troubling and certainly not a sound made by other Seagate drives. I also have a seagate 80gb SATA and 2 160gb IDE drives and they don't make the noise. And for the 1TB model, the click sound occurs with drives with firmware SD04 or SD15. I returned some drives thinking they were defective but after getting an umpteeth replacement without finding one that doesn't make the noise, it seems to be just how this series of drives are made.

I also have noticed that a lot of the 7200.11 drives have reallocation counts out of the box. I've gone through 6 drives from Newegg and 2 of them had reallocation counts. Given Google's research on its massive server farms says that even a single reallocation count increases the chance of drive failure by 1400%, this is pretty unacceptable.

Incidentally, even the drives without any reallocation counts or SMART errors makee the clicking sound.