muzicman82

Please Help! I have a RAID issue!

I have a 2 TB Lacie FW800 RAID box. It has four 500GB drives and they setup in RAID 0. Something happened that caused the array to become corrupt, but I am quite sure the data is all still on the drives.

Of course, I have contacted Lacie, but they suggest "simply" rebuilding the arrays which will obviously wipe the drives clean.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get the data off of these drives and rebuild the array? Is there any chance I can attach these four drives to my HighPoint RAID Controller in a desktop and view the array there?

Or is there a way to attach the drives to a desktop individually and create an image of the data in a RAW format of some sort?

They are Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives.

The data is rather important.. so the last/worst case is to just send it somewhere, but I imagine that its not cheap.

When you say "corrupt", how corrupt? Does the device show up at all when you plug it in to the computer? If so, does it display any contents at all when you try to access it? Is it laggy? What does the thing sound like? Have you tried non disk-related possibilities yet: different cable (or verifying that the one you're using is OK); different port on the computer; different computer entirely; different port on the LaCie (if it has more than one)? Could there be something wrong with this thing's power supply?

it's kinda closing the gate after the horse has bolted...but if your data is important, why are you entrusting it to a raid 0 array at all, let alone a 4 disk one?!? you do realise it's 4 times as as likely to fail a single drive, more or less?

my experience of raid 0 is that it has no benefit for every day usage and an awfully big downside - and mine never even failed on me!

Well, I work for a production company and they decided on this as the product to purchase. It's intention was to stay in RAID0+1 all the time, but a recent job came up requiring it to have all 2 TB available and the unit doesn't support JBOD. Not that it matters, but the unit is less than a year old and doesn't even have many hours on it.

The device doesn't show up in Device Manager, but I think the Lacie shuts off the PC interface when there's an error. I can attach drives to my system independently and they show up fine, but of course show no volumes.

I'm pretty sure I can use some destriping software to get the data.. any suggestions for one of them?

I run 3 seperate arrays on my M2N32 Work pro on the NVidea RAID controller.

Occassionally I have lost the array. The error message following post is usually "No array detected".

I have entered the array configuration utility and rebuilt the array without loss of data. In my case this is because before finally setting up the new array and saving the array the utility asks if I want to delete the data or not. Of course I select NO.

Hopefully yuor array configuration should work in the same way.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about de-striping utilities. I had been thinking, however, that if the individual drives function when plugged directly into your motherboard, you could try SpinRite on them, put them back in the LaCie, and hope for the best:

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

As you have seen, and possibly knew already, trusting data to a RAID 0 array is risky. If you need a large block of fault-tolerant storage, I'd look into a Drobo populated with nice, big drives:

http://www.drobo.com/

And of course, a fault-tolerant array is no substitute for backups, etc., etc.