inktri

Why isn't my motherboard detecting my PCI hba?

I've tried the LSI 21320-IS on my other computers (all Dell) and it gets detected -- I know this because the LSI bios screen shows up during startup.

On my Gigabyte P35-DS3L all I get is: "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

I reflashed the LSI adapter with LSI 21320-R firmware, which according to other forum topics allows me to run this beast on non-dell systems (Fusion-MPT_IS_FW10327_BIOS_51101_FLASH_10304.zip at LSI website), but to no success.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for the help

I've tried the LSI 21320-IS on my other computers (all Dell) and it gets detected -- I know this because the LSI bios screen shows up during startup.

On my Gigabyte P35-DS3L all I get is: "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

I reflashed the LSI adapter with LSI 21320-R firmware, which according to other forum topics allows me to run this beast on non-dell systems (Fusion-MPT_IS_FW10327_BIOS_51101_FLASH_10304.zip at LSI website), but to no success.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for the help

You need to install the LSI SCSI driver in the operating system. Did the controller card come with a driver disk?

Well, disk boot failure is one thing, but does the LSI screen not show up at all on your Gigabyte board? Cause if it does, but you get disk boot failure, then the only thing going wrong is that you need to go into your mobo BIOS setup and tell it what to boot from (on my Gigabyte X38, which is probably identical BIOS-wise, I can press enter on harddisk and in there arrange which drive gets boot priority). However if the LSI screen is not showing up at all then clearly something is off. FYI, I'm running an LSI 22320-IS (last I checked LSI's site, there was one firmware for striping and another for mirroring) on my Gigabyte X38 so there is literally no reason at all why your adapter shouldn't work on your board!

thanks for the replies

___

This is what happens on startup:

1. Gigabyte logo shows up

2. DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

The LSI screen does not even show up.

___

In my motherboard BIOS, First boot device is Hard disk and second/third are set to Disabled.

Under "Hard Disk Boot Priority", I see

"1. Bootable Add-in Cards"

and that's all. I have no IDE/SATA drives, just this LSI PCI card and 2x SCSI's.

___

And yea the firmware is correct; the LSI adapter shows up on my other computers. I used the latest Striping firmware for the 21320-R on my 21320-IS. I've read numerous other threads in which people with the 21320-IS have been successful with it.

The controller card comes with a driver but I'm trying to install the OS on the SCSI drives and boot from them. But that didn't stop me and I tried installing Windows XP, pressing F6, popping in hte CD and it still didn't work (says couldn't detect hard drives)

It's a long-shot, but have you tried putting the controller card in another slot? If that doesn't work, try disabling the SATA ports in the bios. Kind of a funny board to use with SCSI, though.

It's a long-shot, but have you tried putting the controller card in another slot? If that doesn't work, try disabling the SATA ports in the bios. Kind of a funny board to use with SCSI, though.

Just tried it, doesn't work unfortunately. I tried disabling sata boards too, and no success :(

Anyone have new ideas?

Cctually i just tested the 21320-is on my other non-dell system and it doesn't work (no SCSI bios shows up just like my computer).

Considering the lsi21320-is is sold and distributed by Dell, it must be the card. However I reflashed it with the 21320-R firmware/bios so it should work

Anyone have ideas?

Well,

You've ruled out other possibilities, so you're going to have to contact LSI somehow. Send their tech support an email (I hope they're not as useless as Adaptec), and see what they say.

Good luck.

The only other thing I can think of is that there might be some proprietary symbiotic boot mechanism between the Dell computer and the LSI card. Maybe they're sharing the boot responsibilities somehow. I remember that SymBios did this with the Award bioses from the late nineties.

Good luck.

Well I just kept on flashing it over and over with the same firmware and bios and for some reason it appears to work now :). I'm installing Windows XP. Formatting to NTFS is taking a while; I'll post back with the results

I installed XP and everything worked perfectly...

UNTIL I went to install my wireless PCI card and tapped the the PCI hba a bit in the process. By tap, I mean shifted it slightly...

now I'm getting the aforementioned error. In conclusion I'm getting a new card because I know the PCI hba is the culprit.

So by nudging the card it stopped working? Sounds kinda like it's not inserted too well... You sure there isnt a motherboard capacitor or anything like that blocking you from plugging it in fully? I ask cause on my Gigabyte board there is in fact a capacitor that is in the way of the long PCIX connector, so I had to plug my LSI 22320 into another slot.

So by nudging the card it stopped working? Sounds kinda like it's not inserted too well... You sure there isnt a motherboard capacitor or anything like that blocking you from plugging it in fully? I ask cause on my Gigabyte board there is in fact a capacitor that is in the way of the long PCIX connector, so I had to plug my LSI 22320 into another slot.

yea there's no capacitor and i'm 100% sure it's inserted properly. I have three other computers, 2 of which are Dell. My LSI 21320-IS seems to work 100% in Dells and 10% in my non-Dells. And when it does work in the non-Dells and you nudge it a bit, it stops working. Absurd

I'm just going to buy the non-Dell 21320-R and hopefully that'll work

Sounds like something could be touching the rest of the PCI connector not in the slot.

Also, may be a weird question but bear with me, what kind of video card do you have in there and do you have any spares or onboard video?

Sounds like something could be touching the rest of the PCI connector not in the slot.

Also, may be a weird question but bear with me, what kind of video card do you have in there and do you have any spares or onboard video?

just checked, nothing is touching the exposed part of the PCI connector.

I'm using a geforce 8400gs PCI-e x16 graphics card. No onboard integrated graphics card on my mobo

How many drives are connected to the HBA? Try reducing them to one or none (if you haven't already, just skimming here).

Also, with one or no drives (or even no HBA) can you get into DOS from a boot floppy? If so, find and add MSD.EXE to a disk and run it in DOS. See how much boot ROM memory each device is taking. I remember reading a similar problem a while back, with an LSI card and a GeForce 4 MX.

Turns out the video card was taking about 63 of the allowed 128k, during runtime. The problem with this is that the LSI BIOS took 64k at initialization (but then shrank to between 2-16k at runtime, depending on detected devices). So the LSI@64 + the GF4@63 + plus other stuff (e.g. system BIOS, boot LAN if turned on) exceeded the 128k limit.

The user switched the video card to a more co-operative Radeon 8500 (39k) and the problem was resolved.