Zorg_DK

Samsung F1 1TB access time at 25 ms - How do I fix this?

Dear all.

I recently purhased the new Samsung F1 1TB drive. When I run HD Tune or Sisoft Sandra it show that the access time on the drive is around 25 ms. I know it is supposed to be around 14 ms.

Why is that? I quite disapointed as this is a very expensive harddrive.

I'm using the AW9D-MAX on latest bios and latest chipset drivers installed. OS is Win XP Pro. I have two other drives: Samsung 250GB and Seagate 40GB - They both report accesss time around 14 ms.

Look at this screenshot:

http://peecee.dk/index.php?lid=1&aid=1...mp;noresize=yes

Is it possible that my harddisk is defect?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for your reply. I just ran the HUTIL utility in dos, and AAM was set to disable. I changed it to fast, but it makes little difference on the access time - right now it says 22,1 ms (it fluctuates a bit in HD Tune).

I just ran a diagnostic in the HUTIL app. Out of 10 tests it failed "check m.c." and "simple surface scan" with a "ecc error". I did not run a complete surface scan (it seemed like it would take forever).

Can I conclude the disk is defect?

Can I conclude the disk is defect?

Based on the combination of the poor performance and the errors, something certainly seems to be defective. My guess is if it fails HUtil, you can RMA it.

M.C. perhaps stands for "maintenance cylinder" - that is the part of the disk surface on which is recorded unique drive data (e.g. data which is gathered from physical measurements made during manufacturing) relating to the very individual characteristics of the drive (e.g. head widths, fly heights, optimum write currents, etc.) The maintenance cylinder is usually read every time the drive boots up. (A drive might operate rather poorly, or at least non-optimally, without its particular maintenance cylinder data.)

Hi all.

I returned the disk to the store where I bought it. I got a new disk right away - Excellent service.

However this new disk report ecc error at check m.c. The other drive had two errors though.

The new disk has an access time of about 22ms in HD Tune and HD Tach.

This is starting to get very annoying.

I wonder if these errors are going to be a trend? Some users are reporting the same problems at NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...N82E16822152102

I'm considering these 3 drives for my new build next month. Decisions, Decisions...

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A35155) 1TB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB

There seems to be quite a few other reports surfacing on the Internet of M.C. Check errors reported by HUTIL. (Older software for Samsung drives apparently confirms that "M.C." is "maintenance cylinder" though at least one internet report indicates that Samsung support may have indicated "M.C." could stand for "motherboard controller.)

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&am...%26as_qdr%3Dall

The older software screenshots can be seen here (scroll down to the word "maintenance" for the Samsung HDD Test screen shot):

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...%26as_qdr%3Dall

A Babel Fish translation of the corresponding Korean Text is below:

- Check of Maintenance Cylinder: To the Disk general use own house the place where it comes to share in the Data segment which it uses and the Maintenance segment which controls physical information of the Cylinder of the HDD (or Track), the Head and the Sector, the item which it sees diagnoses the fault of the Maintenance segment.

Yes, it seems a lot of people are experiencing problems with this dis.

Apparent a new produktion batch will arrive in January 08 with slightly better performance.