Sign in to follow this  
inktri

Is my SCSI U320 Configuration set up properly?!?!

I am a complete noob who has just purchased a U320 drive. Can someone tell me if my setup is correct (ie. terminator in right place)?

_____

Four Items:

1x U320 SCSI Drive (http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.f7da5b80da420cb0483bad24eac4f0a0/)

1x 68-80pin adapter (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300174452449&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020)

1x 68-68pin cable (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270189215134&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017#ebayphotohosting)

1x SCSI U320 PCI adapter/controller (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270190884626&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017)

_____

So basically the setup is as follows:

1. has a terminator, 2. is connected to the 68-80pin adapter, 3. is connected to nothing, 4. is connected to the SCSI controller/adapter

scsi68ml4.th.jpg

p1030026iz3.th.jpg

p1030027wp3.th.jpg

_____

Additional Questions:

1. Below is my setup... did I put the terminator in the right place? Do I need to put anothoer terminator somewhere?

2. Can the middle male 68-pin connector be left like that?

3. Do I need to put jumpers on my 68-80pin adapter to assign the hard-drive an SCSI id? There's only one hard drive in my configuration

_____

Thank you for the help

Edited by inktri

That should do fine, the terminator's in the right place. Typically, one end of the cable should be terminated, the other end connected to the SCSI controller. Whether the connectors in the middle are connected to drives or not, really doesn't matter.

The jumpers labelled ID3 to ID0 specify the SCSI ID, in binary, with ID3 being the MSB, and ID0 being the LSB. With no jumpers on those pins, the ID of the drive will be 0.

That should do fine, the terminator's in the right place. Typically, one end of the cable should be terminated, the other end connected to the SCSI controller. Whether the connectors in the middle are connected to drives or not, really doesn't matter.

The jumpers labelled ID3 to ID0 specify the SCSI ID, in binary, with ID3 being the MSB, and ID0 being the LSB. With no jumpers on those pins, the ID of the drive will be 0.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Just a few more questions:

1. So can I just not put any jumpers in and have this one-drive configuration work?

2. If I decide to connect my PCI adapter/controller to the middle port (connector #3 in the pictures) will I have to put a terminator in #4? Will I experience faster transfer rates if I do so (because the cable is shorter)?

Edited by inktri

1. So can I just not put any jumpers in and have this one-drive configuration work?

2. If I decide to connect my PCI adapter/controller to the middle port (connector #3 in the pictures) will I have to put a terminator in #4? Will I experience faster transfer rates if I do so (because the cable is shorter)?

1: If you don't put any jumpers on the drive will be treated as SCSI ID 0, which by default is normally the SCSI ID that the controller will boot from. So yes, it should be fine.

2: As far as I know it's a bad idea to plug the controller in to the middle of the cable. It should be at the end, with the terminator at the other end. Even if you got a shorter cable (and your cable is pretty short) it should not affect the speed particularly. SCSI is designed to allow for very long cable lengths.

Edited by Lawdrich

1: If you don't put any jumpers on the drive will be treated as SCSI ID 0, which by default is normally the SCSI ID that the controller will boot from. So yes, it should be fine.

2: As far as I know it's a bad idea to plug the controller in to the middle of the cable. It should be at the end, with the terminator at the other end. Even if you got a shorter cable (and your cable is pretty short) it should not affect the speed particularly. SCSI is designed to allow for very long cable lengths.

great, thanks for the help