Sign in to follow this  
akmsr

lsilogic pcie scsi hba

i just stumbled onto the link in google. its a pci express x4 u320 scsi controller. single channel non raid. perfect for my asus a8n sli premiun mobo that has a x4 slot. currently running 2 maxtor atlas ii 36gb 15k drives on a lsiu320 pcix controller in a pci slot (lame i know). was thinking about getting the adaptec 29320lpe pcie x1 controller but after looking around found some negative opinions in the net that it does not work properly in xp. so now i'm looking into this lsi controller. unfortunately not much user experiences or reviews to be found in the net. anybody know any site that reviewed this card? thanx in advance.

link for the card.

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_h...20ie/index.html

at the bottom of the page there are three links for more information.

Edited by akmsr

I haven't been able to find any reviews either, but it's an interesting card. I'm in a similar situation. I have a 147GB Atlas 15K II and 300GB Atlas 10K V in my workstation running off an old Adaptec 29160 in a 32-bit PCI slot. I looked at the 29320lpe, but one thing I didn't like about it is that it's a 1x card, so it maxes out at 250MB/s. I know my drives aren't pushing that kind of bandwidth now, but if I add more, I could conceivably get that high. If I spend that much to buy a 320MB/s card, I want to get a 320MB/s limit. Otherwise, it's like running a 160MB/s card with a 32-bit PCI slot. :P The 4x LSILogic card would give me the maximum rated bandwidth, but unfortunately, I can't find any around here (France).

i spent another day looking for reviews too but no luck. in usa there are couple of places that carries the card for around ~ 200$ don't know whether they ship overseas or not. u can email them and ask. now i gotta find my mobo manual and look to see if there is any bandwidth limitation in the x4 slot i have. 'cause i vaguely remember reading something about it 2 years ago.

I went ahead and ordered the LSI20320IE. It's arriving by international mail, so it'll take a couple weeks to get here. When it does, I'll report back on how well it performs. This will be for a linux workstation, though, so I won't be able to comment on Windows driver performance.

wow, i'll be waiting for your post and experience. i'm thinking about getting one in a month or so maybe after christmas . right now in my work i'm busy. in my mobo i have a x4 slot thats open ended and asus manual says its limited to 1GB/s bandwidthwise (x2). now do they really mean 1GB/s or 1Gbps hmmm. can never really trust a company literature. its asus a8n sli premium. lets see what happens.

I didn't forget about this thread. :) My controller card got held up in customs, so it arrived a little late. It's installed now and I ran a few benchmarks.

First, the setup: the computer is a dell poweredge with a xeon 3060 CPU, 4GB RAM, running 32-bit debian linux (I plan to test it in 64-bit linux later). It's running kernel 2.6.18 (old, I know, but it's the one that comes with debian stable). There are 4 SCSI drives: a 147GB Maxtor Atlas 15K II on it's own U160 controller, and three 300GB Maxtor Atlas 10K 5 drives on the LSI controller. The controller is in an X8 PCIe slot.

I put the 3 10K drives in software RAID0 to test the throughput of the controller card. By themselves, each drive has the following read rate:

# hdparm -t /dev/sd[bcd]

/dev/sdb:
Timing buffered disk reads:  256 MB in  3.02 seconds =  84.72 MB/sec

/dev/sdc:
Timing buffered disk reads:  256 MB in  3.02 seconds =  84.83 MB/sec

/dev/sdd:
Timing buffered disk reads:  256 MB in  3.02 seconds =  84.65 MB/sec

Here's a speed test reading 8GB from the raw RAID0 device:

# dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/null bs=1048576 count=8192
8192+0 records in
8192+0 records out
8589934592 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 35.6257 seconds, 241 MB/s

And here is how fast it can write 8GB to the device:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md0 bs=1048576 count=8192
8192+0 records in
8192+0 records out
8589934592 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 54.5497 seconds, 157 MB/s

So the individual drives get about 84MB/sec sequential reads on the outer zone and 241MB/sec when in RAID0. That's an efficiency of about 96%. More importantly, it shows the card is capable of sustaining a transfer of at least 241MB/sec over 8GB.

thanx jeff for your reply. i'm busy during the holiday season at my work. so it took me a while to see your post. anyway the card looks promising. i'll get it next month i guess. thanx again for taking the time to test the card and posting results. i gotta try it in xp now. :P

Any more info on this card?

As i'm also intrested in purchasing one if it's workable in Vista64. Website has drivers (1.26.05) for Vista and should be mature enough !?.

Currently running 2x HP 15k 36g U320's non-raid on a "cough!" adaptec 19160 PCI card. (yeah I know.. but...) and all works fine in Vista 64, but soon as both drives read simultainously .. crawl, as you would expect.

Will be running (hopefully) another 2 or 3 36g's as scratch disks / prgrams for a number of applications (software raid if acceptable)

Hardware i'm currently running: (if relevant)

Intel Q6600 @3.6 (water cooled)

4gig PC6400 Geil ram

Asus P5B Deluxe

Intel ICH8R Raid (2xMaxtor Maxline III 250's)

and the rest of the normal bits n bobs we stick in there.

Cheers

sorry guys for being late with update. i got the card 2 days ago. spent only like half an hour with it. i'm moving to a new apartment by the end of the month so the pc is packed. using my laptop for posting this. here is my spec:

opty 175 on asus a8n sli premium socket 939

2 gig ddr

2x maxtor ii 36gb 15k u320 non raid

were on a lsi single channel u320 pci-x card 64bit/66mhz in a 32bit pci slot

now on lsi single channel u320 pci express x4 card in a x4 slot (motherboard manual says slot is limited to 1gbyte/s speed ie x2)

xp pro 32 bit with sp2. pagefile is split between both drives for 1gb each fixed (after reading the long discussion here @SR)

this is not a fresh install. for lack of time i just switched the controller and installed the driver. both drives are like 85% full.

first thing i noticed that when booting with the old card i used to get a warning during post saying both drives are validated for 80mb/s and the card for 320mb/s but they should be 320mb/s when the operating system is loaded. now with the new card i don't get it at all. all 3 devices are validated for 320mb/s.

i only ran hdtach once in each drive. lacking internet on the desktop can't upload the snapshot either. for STR it starts at 98~99mb and falls to 80~81 at the end of disk. for burst i get 177~191mb. thats all i know.

is there any free benchmarking software that i can get that would let me test the card for 320mb/s claim? or any technique like software raid etc. any info will be appreciated.

overall the system feels snappier (maybe wishful thinking :) ).

Thanks for the info akmsr,

Indeed it looks like it's claims what it is, 190mb burst is nice (im currently 75mb, but thats the controller, not the hd's) and i'll be purchasing this too.

hp320.png

Thats mine [hdtune]as is, so if it's faster on burst, i'll be happy.. and the results you just gave are very nice.

hp32005.png

And for [PCMark2005]

Could I ask, .. if you access both drives at same time, do they slow down to "share" the bandwidth (yeah, a bit of a n00b question but ..) or do they just plod on.. having an overall feeling of a snappier system is also good news!

Thanks

as for software, i've only got hdtune to work on vista 64 and PCMark2005

HDTune Page

PCMark2005

Winbench 99

Atto V1.3 HD Benchmark

I'm sure there are more, but I often read winbench is used in a lot of tests

Thanks again akmsr

Enjoy your move!