inktri

Burst rates vs. continuous rate... 33 mhz PCI slot... U320 drive

I just bought this hard drive:

http://www.scsi4me.com/hitachi-ultrastar-1...hard-drive.html

Problem is I only have a P35 motherboard which only has PCI slots (32-bit), as opposed to PCI-x slots (64-bit)

Therefore the maximum theoretical transfer rate is 133 mb/s. I realize this bottlenecks the hard drive's burst transfer rate, but does it bottleneck the hard drive's continuous transfer rate?

What is the importance of burst transfer rate in a web/file server setting?

Will my hard drive's continuous transfer rate be hindered by the fact I'm using a regular PCI slot?

Thanks for the help, sorry for not knowing much

With a good controller card in a regular PCI slot, you'll get a maximum burst transfer rate (BTR) of 120MB/sec or so. Few hard drives have a sequential transfer rate (STR) above this, I think only the 15K.5 and 15K.6 do. I don't know about the new Fujitsu MBA3 series though. If the BTR is greater than the STR, then it won't be a limiting factor.

BTR probably won't matter much in a web or fileserver setting, unless the same data's being requested over and over again, and the drive's smart enough to cache it. If it's big enough to fit in the drive's cache, the OS will probably cache the data anyway.

I just bought this hard drive:

http://www.scsi4me.com/hitachi-ultrastar-1...hard-drive.html

Problem is I only have a P35 motherboard which only has PCI slots (32-bit), as opposed to PCI-x slots (64-bit)

Therefore the maximum theoretical transfer rate is 133 mb/s. I realize this bottlenecks the hard drive's burst transfer rate, but does it bottleneck the hard drive's continuous transfer rate?

Will my hard drive's continuous transfer rate be hindered by the fact I'm using a regular PCI slot?

Thanks for the help, sorry for not knowing much

unfortunately my p35 mobo only has PCI, PCI-e x16, and PCI-e x1 slots :(... i can't find any x1 scsi adapters for less than $100

what kind of sustained transfer rates will i achieve with this 32-bit interface and this hard drive (in hd-tune)?

here are the specs of my hard drive:

Capacity 300gb

Rotation Speed 15000rpm

Platter Size 3.5"

Access Time 3.6ms

Cache 16mb

Raw Transfer (MAX) 1441mbit/sec

Sustained Speed (MIN) 72mb/sec

Sustained Speed (MAX) 123mb/sec

Op. Shock 30g/2ms

Non-Op. Shock 250g/2ms

Idle Noise 3.5db

Form Factor 1"

a sustained speed close to 123 mb/s? significantly less because of the low overhead?

thanks for the replies

unfortunately my p35 mobo only has PCI, PCI-e x16, and PCI-e x1 slots :(... i can't find any x1 scsi adapters for less than $100

what kind of sustained transfer rates will i achieve with this 32-bit interface and this hard drive (in hd-tune)?

here are the specs of my hard drive:

Capacity 300gb

Rotation Speed 15000rpm

Platter Size 3.5"

Access Time 3.6ms

Cache 16mb

Raw Transfer (MAX) 1441mbit/sec

Sustained Speed (MIN) 72mb/sec

Sustained Speed (MAX) 123mb/sec

Op. Shock 30g/2ms

Non-Op. Shock 250g/2ms

Idle Noise 3.5db

Form Factor 1"

a sustained speed close to 123 mb/s? significantly less because of the low overhead?

thanks for the replies

Assuming nothing else shares the PCI bus (e.g., NIC) you should see close to the drives peak, but don't put any other drives on the BUS or it will cut performance in half.

None in your case.

Assuming nothing else shares the PCI bus (e.g., NIC) you should see close to the drives peak, but don't put any other drives on the BUS or it will cut performance in half.

You mean total STR? That doesn't equal performance.

Edited by Olaf van der Spek

so if I have, say, a TV Tuner in another PCI slot, my hard drive transfer rates will be slower than if all other PCI slots were empty?

If you are watching TV on it, yes.