xSAKx

9650SE + P35 board compatability problem?

I bought a 3ware 9650SE-8LPML PCIe controller

I also have a DFI LP UT P35-T2R motherboard

The computer will NOT boot or even post for that matter when I install the 3ware card. Upon power-on, I get NO signal to the monitor. I've tried clearing the cmos, disabling all onboard devices, unplugging all devices (even USB keyboard and mouse), and I've tried various bios settings. There is a PCI express setting, with choices of x1 x1 or x4 NC ("no card" I'm guessing it stands for).

This is driving me nuts. This computer runs AWESOME, everything runs perfectly, except now for this expansion card. I've heard of people having problems with x4 cards in a x16 slot in P35 and X38, etc Intel motherboards. Is this the problem I'm facing? And is there no solution? Great...scratch the idea of hardware raid, or try a different vendor?

The only devices I have in expansion slots are 1) PCIe MSI 8800 Ultra in slot #1 2) PCI SoundBlaster Audigy 4 in slot #5 (PCI slot #2). I removed the soundblaster when I first tried the 3ware, and it didn't work. I've tried the 3ware in both x16 slots. The only x16 slot I did not try it in, is the one occupied by the 8800 ultra video card.

I am pissed. I made the assumption that INTEL would have their !@#$ together with this chipset. It's a very nice chipset indeed. Why the problems? Is the mobo vendor to blame?

Anyone with a similar problems on a DFI and/or P35-based board?

I updated the firmware on the 3ware card, using another computer (which booted up fine and worked fine with the card).

That did NOT fix my problem -- my computer still will not post when the raid card is installed.

I don't know if the chipset (Intel), motherboard (DFI), or adapter (3ware) is to blame here. But a problem definitely exists. I doubt anyone else has gotten this card to work with this motherboard. If so, then the only other device I can think of that's causing the problem is the graphics card. I have to pull the graphics card out to fit an aftermarket heatsink anyhow, so maybe for shits and giggles I'll give it a try and see if that was the problem. Either way, this card is going back and will have to be exchanged for a competitor's card. How unfortunate -- it was supposed to be a very fast and, more importantly, reliable card.

Technically I have 4 open SATA ports (2 left on the ICH9R and 2 on another onboard controller) open, but I will not be using these for raid. I have 8 enterprise sata drives that I'm intent on running on a hardware raid controller, raid level 6.

This is really disappointing.

I updated the firmware on the 3ware card, using another computer (which booted up fine and worked fine with the card).

That did NOT fix my problem -- my computer still will not post when the raid card is installed.

I don't know if the chipset (Intel), motherboard (DFI), or adapter (3ware) is to blame here. But a problem definitely exists. I doubt anyone else has gotten this card to work with this motherboard. If so, then the only other device I can think of that's causing the problem is the graphics card. I have to pull the graphics card out to fit an aftermarket heatsink anyhow, so maybe for shits and giggles I'll give it a try and see if that was the problem. Either way, this card is going back and will have to be exchanged for a competitor's card. How unfortunate -- it was supposed to be a very fast and, more importantly, reliable card.

Technically I have 4 open SATA ports (2 left on the ICH9R and 2 on another onboard controller) open, but I will not be using these for raid. I have 8 enterprise sata drives that I'm intent on running on a hardware raid controller, raid level 6.

This is really disappointing.

Call 3ware/open a case with them?

Your motherboard-- like many desktop boards-- doesn't fully implement the PCI-e specification, and hence doesn't boot with non-video-card in the second PCI-e slot.

've heard of people having problems with x4 cards in a x16 slot in P35 and X38, etc Intel motherboards. Is this the problem I'm facing? And is there no solution? Great...scratch the idea of hardware raid, or try a different vendor?
Not just x4 cards but non-video cards in general...

Try a different motherboard. Abit's IP35 Pro is a board known to work with hardware RAID cards in the second PCI-e slot, as is Gigabyte's GA-X38-DQ6.

I assume you had the PCI-e slot set for x4 operation? You said the board worked in another MB, which board did you try it in? IIRC the guys on xtremesystems.org-- err, no, it's more likely to be 2cpu.com forums-- are trying to maintain an informal list. FWIW I have a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 with an Areca ARC-1680 that works fine in it.

I'm PISSED right now.

I just sent the 3ware care back yesterday, received my HighPoint 3520 today (I was hoping it would work). It does the same thing -- no boot, no post.

I spent $550 and $420 on these cards respectively. I spent $260 on the motherboard, which is by far the MOST I have ever spent on a workstation board. To have it not work to specifications...to the point it won't even post when I install expansion cards? WTF. I guess I should have read more before I purchased it. I would just assume these days, since PCIe has been out for so long, everything would be implemented correctly and working.

SOBs.

Other than this problem, this motherboard is quite nice, tweakable as hell, runs fast as hell, very stable. But the fact that I can't use expansion cards is unacceptable and unforgivable.

Thanks for the reply, Continuum. I'm glad someone finally chimes in with some help.

I realized right away that I would need to get a new mobo. I'm not going to tolerate stupid BS like this. I will look into those two you recommended. Thanks again.

Your motherboard-- like many desktop boards-- doesn't fully implement the PCI-e specification, and hence doesn't boot with non-video-card in the second PCI-e slot.

What part of the specs has not been implemented? And why not? Just laziness?

I'm not part of the PCI SIG, so I don't have access to the documentation. However, lack of support for BIOSes other than video cards seems to be the main issue. Head over to 2cpu's storage forum and see how many people have had issues getting non-video cards to work in the second PCI-e x16 slot of their boards (be it x4, x8, or true x16 electrical)-- it's, sadly, pretty common. Quite a few reports of this on Ars and other forums as well, 2cpu forums merely has the best list.