xSAKx

3ware 9650SE-8LPML vs. Areca ARC-1220

I need to order one of these on Monday. I'm setting up a new 8 drive raid 6 array. Hoping for problem-free operation this time. I will probably never buy a HighPoint card again.

Anyways. I've been trying to find NICE head-to-head benchmarks featuring both of these cards - to no avail. I'll keep looking, but I'm not having much luck. I've also been reading the forums posts all over the net to try to get a feel for which card is better. There is really no consensus. I've heard a lot of claims that the 3ware 9650SE is faster (uses a faster processor supposedly and also performs better in raid 5/6 than the Areca), but then I've heard claims that the Areca is faster than the 3ware.

Anyone else wind up in a situation deciding between these 2 cards? I would love to hear some real knowledge/experience/insight into the raid 5/6 performance of these two cards. Something is also to be said about overall stability, data integrity, etc. Really, the main purpose of the array is failsafe (hence raid 6 as opposed to raid 5) storage. But I would also like to go for speed too. I'm going to bench the array vs. my onboard array and see which will give me faster reads for stuff like games :)

Thanks ahead of time for any help. I'm leaning towards the 9650SE right now, but I'm still open to any better insight into this.

I need to order one of these on Monday. I'm setting up a new 8 drive raid 6 array. Hoping for problem-free operation this time. I will probably never buy a HighPoint card again.

Anyways. I've been trying to find NICE head-to-head benchmarks featuring both of these cards - to no avail. I'll keep looking, but I'm not having much luck. I've also been reading the forums posts all over the net to try to get a feel for which card is better. There is really no consensus. I've heard a lot of claims that the 3ware 9650SE is faster (uses a faster processor supposedly and also performs better in raid 5/6 than the Areca), but then I've heard claims that the Areca is faster than the 3ware.

Anyone else wind up in a situation deciding between these 2 cards? I would love to hear some real knowledge/experience/insight into the raid 5/6 performance of these two cards. Something is also to be said about overall stability, data integrity, etc. Really, the main purpose of the array is failsafe (hence raid 6 as opposed to raid 5) storage. But I would also like to go for speed too. I'm going to bench the array vs. my onboard array and see which will give me faster reads for stuff like games :)

Thanks ahead of time for any help. I'm leaning towards the 9650SE right now, but I'm still open to any better insight into this.

What is the application, what will it be used for?

I'am also interested in this matter. At the moment, I'm running an ARC-1220 (old release with 128MB and 6 7200 WD-drives @ raid5) and I'm not sure what to do:

a ) Upgrade my 1220 to 8 150GB Raptors

b ) wait for a new SATA Raptor (some rumors are going arroung regarding Raptors with 300GB or 15k rpm)

c ) go for SAS with the new ARC-1680, 2GB Cache and a bunch of Savvio's 10K.2 or 15K-Drives.

Purpose are general store and database. Guess, option C would be best for IOPS performance (Oracle e.g. uses typically 8k blocks)

which is my main focus. IOPS @ random writes are far more important for me than sequential throughput.

At the moment, option B is my best friend, because waiting doesn't cost much money like options A or C.

Edited by sasfan

My application is mostly data storage. It will be a workstation mostly, and occasionally be a server for a small network (when I'm working on other computers and need a place to dump data or grab data). So, really, files will just be sitting there mostly not being accessed. There won't be any intense applications accessing the array at all really.

If I ever get free time, I might actually fire up a game (haven't done so in years), that's about it :)

So really, I'm after best possible security with this one. Best reliability - all of that.

My application is mostly data storage. It will be a workstation mostly, and occasionally be a server for a small network (when I'm working on other computers and need a place to dump data or grab data). So, really, files will just be sitting there mostly not being accessed. There won't be any intense applications accessing the array at all really.

If I ever get free time, I might actually fire up a game (haven't done so in years), that's about it :)

So really, I'm after best possible security with this one. Best reliability - all of that.

Then go 3ware but make sure your mobo is compatible with the board you get; there other some weird IRQ issues that plague certain motherboards which result in poor (< 5-10MiB/s performance).

Justin.

Then go 3ware but make sure your mobo is compatible with the board you get; there other some weird IRQ issues that plague certain motherboards which result in poor (< 5-10MiB/s performance).

Justin.

Also buy a replacement card as a spare so when it fails you'll be okay.

My mobo is a DFI LP UT P35-T2R -- I haven't seen anything about compatibility problems with the 9650SE...do you know of any with Intel P35-based boards?

As for the spare card -- great advice, but I don't currently have spare $$ to throw at such a luxury :(

I read a lot of posts regarding P35 (and even X38) boards have a lot of troubles especially with the Areca controllers. Areca support told me that they did't test these chipset.

That's why i thought a long time about upgrading my NF4 (with Opteron 170) board which runs very smooth with my ARC-1220.

So i got a "good old" 975X (P5W64 WS Pro) with a Q6600 and 4*1GB RAM. Runs perfect with my ARC-1220 since first turn-on. It wasn't even necesary to

reinstall XP, just removing AMD processor and Nvidia chipset drivers and install Intels 975 drivers.