Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix1997

Poor STR performance with ST318404LC

I have a few of these drives now. HDTach gives me this:

8.7.png

Similarly, IOMeter gives me about 8.0MB/sec for 64KB sequential reads with a single drive. With 6 of these drives, I can get at most something like 35MB/sec (all drives on the same cable). However, I can get over 1200 IOPS (again, 6 drives) when set to 2KB random reads with a 128 I/O queue depth.

The drive's manual, and also an old review on SR, indicate the STR should be something like 25-40MB/sec across the drive. I've tried two different controllers (29160 and 39160) and two different cables. Both controllers are syncing at 160. I am using an 80 to 68 pin adapter, however, with all the 80 pin drives I've gone through, I've never seen a drive get slowed down by that much.

I've tried Seagate's Enterprise Seatools on the drive, and I can change several settings on it, like desktop/server performance mode, read/write cache, and so on. I can even flash the firmware on the drive. Do I need to restart or power down and up again to see these changes reflected on the drive? Or is this a firmware issue?

I have a few of these drives now. HDTach gives me this:

8.7.png

Similarly, IOMeter gives me about 8.0MB/sec for 64KB sequential reads with a single drive. With 6 of these drives, I can get at most something like 35MB/sec (all drives on the same cable). However, I can get over 1200 IOPS (again, 6 drives) when set to 2KB random reads with a 128 I/O queue depth.

The drive's manual, and also an old review on SR, indicate the STR should be something like 25-40MB/sec across the drive. I've tried two different controllers (29160 and 39160) and two different cables. Both controllers are syncing at 160. I am using an 80 to 68 pin adapter, however, with all the 80 pin drives I've gone through, I've never seen a drive get slowed down by that much.

I've tried Seagate's Enterprise Seatools on the drive, and I can change several settings on it, like desktop/server performance mode, read/write cache, and so on. I can even flash the firmware on the drive. Do I need to restart or power down and up again to see these changes reflected on the drive? Or is this a firmware issue?

check to make sure your read/write caching is enabled on the drive, make sure you're using the right cable (twisted to flat with an LVD terminator) and lastly inspect every connector on the cable for bent or touching pins.

some oem drives have their firmware flashed with the drive's cache being intentionally bypassed. you'll know if this is the case after you check the cache settings.

I turned on write caching and read caching, and changed to desktop mode, but I can still only get about 8MB/sec from the drives. However, sequential write performance seems to be okay: on one drive I can do 23-28MB/sec; with four drives this increases to 92-95MB/sec.

I turned on write caching and read caching, and changed to desktop mode, but I can still only get about 8MB/sec from the drives. However, sequential write performance seems to be okay: on one drive I can do 23-28MB/sec; with four drives this increases to 92-95MB/sec.

It seems that you're using the asynchronous mode on the harddrives. Modify your adaptersettings, use the highest synchronous mode available, then retry.

As I don't know your adapters capabilities and options, it is usually possible to do the setup on boot by pressing ctrl+a for example (some adapters use ctrl+c, ctrl+g). Either way, these option should be displayed on boot up