Moogen

Best app for data recovery

Lost some pics and a pst file (jpgs) and trying to recover (vista/XP), what's the best app out there to help me recover.

TIA

M

Is it using NTFS? If it is, I've used Restorer2000 (www.restorer2000.com) and it's worked well for me - and not too particularly expensive - especially if you really need the data.

depends on your setup and extent of the damage - ontrack is good r-studio is better for serious stuff

Ontrack's site says the software should only be used when hardware is functioning properly, not if it's failing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a drive is failing, why would you have any use for recovery software? :blink:

depends on your setup and extent of the damage - ontrack is good r-studio is better for serious stuff

Ontrack's site says the software should only be used when hardware is functioning properly, not if it's failing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a drive is failing, why would you have any use for recovery software? :blink:

Formatted or deleted partitions, corrupt MBR, ... Easy Recovery has helped me with failing drives as well but of course YMMV.

especially if your drives are failing. if you don't have anything valuable on there then by all means (don't know why you'd need to recover it then), however 9 out 10 people would prefer some data restored over no data restored.

you'll be surprised with what r-studio can do. it even works with broken arrays.

especially if your drives are failing. if you don't have anything valuable on there then by all means (don't know why you'd need to recover it then), however 9 out 10 people would prefer some data restored over no data restored.

you'll be surprised with what r-studio can do. it even works with broken arrays.

I would think for a failing drive something like Norton Ghost would be fine.

I would think for a failing drive something like Norton Ghost would be fine.

Depends on the state/type of failure of the drive.

Being able to "go in for data extraction" works particularly well especially if you know that the drive has failing bearings, failing armature controller, and/or bad sectors.

Ghost would have quite a number of issues with that (possibly with the exception of failing bearings).

Just being able to go in, copy the stuff that you want to save, and then discarding/replacing the drive is like what wfn said "some recovery is better than none at all".

I'm going to presume that the original poster's hard drive is failing and/or near-death, which means (for all practical intents and purposes) that he/she only has one shot of being able to go in for the data extraction once before the drive is completely written off.

I've used Restorer2000 (for NTFS disks/partitions) and it works great. Very easy to use.

I have to say Ive used the ontrack data recovery before actually plenty times on both failing drives and good ones that had been deleted...

But now more commonly Ive been using DataGetBackNTFS and RAIDreconstructor for recreating raids not even on raid controllers.

DataGetBack has had some AMAZING results.

It even recovered files from an SD card that somehow lost its pictures....it got every single one back uncorrupted.