Guest 888

Seagate FreeAgent Pro - eSATA too slow

Oh geez. Thank you so much. Those assholes. Why would they do that?

BTW I was unable to load your blog (I dunno why but just so you know I tried at 9:30 Califiornia Time) to check if you mention that link or not. Because of that, I went one the google cached version, searched 'update1' and found someone's post way near the bottom. I think it would be more helpful if the link actually in your blog was the correct one, or at least you mention that they changed it, and 'The correct url is here:', or something like that. Of course, I was looking at the cache so you might have already done that.

Thanks again!

Holy Jesus! It actually worked! Thank you so much neogruts, as well as everyone else on this forum. For others' benefit, I will now tell about my experience (READ IT IF YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR DRIVE!).

I have made a simple image in paint containing a 'before the upgrade' HDTach image, and an 'after the upgrade' HDTach image. Please go here to view it:

http://ethanredirect.110mb.com/firmwareupgrade.html

It is fairly easy to understand. Basically once neogruts pointed me to the right link - because instead of keeping the file called http://support.seagate.com/rightnow/downlo...SATA_Update.zip

happy fellowing seagate changed it to:

http://support.seagate.com/rightnow/downlo...ATA_Update1.zip

- I simply downloaded the file, did exactly what the PDF instructions said, and upgraded the firmware. I plugged it back in on my eSATA to SATA cable (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200092), which works beautifully BTW, and booted up windows xp.

On a sidenote (I WOULD DEFINITELY READ THIS!!!):

I have another computer in the house - a brand spankin new Windows Vista machine with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (for those who care - OCZ 2gb ram, Intel E6750, Antec 550w, system drive 300gb SATA,). It's 4 sata ports are all controlled by the Intel ICH9 south bridge. Updated all the drivers I possibly could for the board (if i recall correctly one big intel exe which basically installs everything you need) and occasionally after copying files for a while the drive would disappear entirely from windows (about 20-30 min usually I think). NOW KEEP IN MIND THIS WHOLE PARAGRAPH I AM TALKING ABOUT BEFORE THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE. I took it to my other computer - an older one running windows xp with an asus p4p800 deluxe with an ICH5R i believe, copied all the same files (12 gigs or so) for 1 hour and a half - NEVER DISCONNECTED ONCE!!!! This was BEFORE THE UPGRADE! So, I don't now what was happening on the other machine - but if you're having trouble, I would DEFINITELY test it out on an XP machine for around an hour - just start a massive copy process of around 10-15 gigs. It could also be some problem with the FreeAgent communicating with the ICH9 southbridge in the other motherboard (so try your drive on a totally different motherboard).

Also go on the website of your motherboard's manufacturer, find your motherboard, and download the CHIPSET DRIVERS!!! That will make sure the device that actually runs your sata drives is up to date. You could also install them off the CD that came with your motherboard (although they might not be the latest drivers). Maybe it's even some problem with GigaByte boards - I have seen people complaining about their FreeAgent Pro that have GigaByte boards so maybe that's it. I don't know. But basically, the drive worked PERFECTLY on my other machine - it was just not as fast as I thought it could be.

I have not yet tested the drive AFTER upgrading the firmware on that vista machine.

So as I was saying, I booted up XP once I did what the Seagate PDF told me, and ran another HDTach. AMAZING!

My 'Average Read' went from 40 to 55 MB/s (Mega bytes per second) - AWESOME, and no more was my drive giving me some weird 'sequential read' pattern which looked like a hand giving me the finger! It actually looked like a real hard drive! It even started to curve at the end (that, for some reason, was really relieving). My 'Random access' went down by 1 millisecond (though likely that was just coincidental).

So there you have it people! My drive is now actually competitive with other external drives! WOOHOO!! All because of a firmware upgrade which happy fellowing seagate won't even say exists!!! (AT LEAST not plainly on their real SUPPORT website where people ACTUALLY go when they need help!) Instead they make you email happy fellowing tech support (who btw have not emailed me back (I emailed them 3 days ago).

Anyway, I hope someone can find something useful from all this.

aMeR1CaN aUsSiE

I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro 750GB USB/FW400/eSATA drive that wasn't recognized through eSATA. It was working well with USB and (the additional) FireWire400 module.

I contacted Seagate support about the eSATA interface not being recognized on my and they sent me the link for the firmware update. I performed the firmware update (U931DS) and the updater said it was successfully done (according to the screenshot in the instructions in the PDF file). Now the drive doesn't power on through USB or eSATA. :( I changed the interface module to FireWire400 and it works fine. But it doesn't power on with USB or eSATA even if I press the power button. I've contacted support again, but if anyone has seen this issue and has a solution for it, it'd be much appreciated. I never thought an external drive would be so much hassle. :( I could've bought a drive with FW800 instead of eSATA.

Thanks for your time! :)

I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro 750GB USB/FW400/eSATA drive that wasn't recognized through eSATA. It was working well with USB and (the additional) FireWire400 module.

I contacted Seagate support about the eSATA interface not being recognized on my and they sent me the link for the firmware update. I performed the firmware update (U931DS) and the updater said it was successfully done (according to the screenshot in the instructions in the PDF file). Now the drive doesn't power on through USB or eSATA. :( I changed the interface module to FireWire400 and it works fine. But it doesn't power on with USB or eSATA even if I press the power button. I've contacted support again, but if anyone has seen this issue and has a solution for it, it'd be much appreciated. I never thought an external drive would be so much hassle. :( I could've bought a drive with FW800 instead of eSATA.

Thanks for your time! :)

In my experience it it easier to get it started on the USB interface.

I would try this:

Turn on your computer with the power disconnected from the seagate drive, and the usb cable disconnected.

Once it's fully booted up, plug the usb cable into your computer and the drive.

THEN plug in the power.

It should turn on at this point. If not, try pushing down on the little power button in various places around it - I have often been pushing directly on it with no result, but then if I push AROUND it, it usually works.

Now, if you did that exactly as I said, and your drive is okay, it should have worked. If not, respond to these:

Once the computer was in windows, you plugged the usb cable in, THEN plugged the power in, did the drive light up orange?

If nothing happened when you plugged your drive POWER in, did you try to push the button to make it turn on?

With the esata/usb connector installed, can you EVER get it to power on - go orange - (even when not in windows)?

Tell me how it goes.

Hello every body

I have a same problem as techkey with a little difference.

I contacted Seagate support about the eSATA interface not being recognized on my device and they sent me the link for the firmware update. I performed the firmware update (U931DS) and the updater said it was successfully done. Now if I press the power button the drive doesn't power on through FireWire, but it power on, with USB or eSata ,although cannot transmit any data.

Please let me know if any of you, have the original firmware has been put originally on this device by Seagate if so send me a link of this file or email it to : nima4d@gmail.com

[Portions Redacted]

To: discsupport@seagate.com

Subject: RE: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 02611920 [ ref:_00D00hhzl._50030Ne2AW:ref ]

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:47:08 -0700

Thanks for your follow-up on Support Case #02611920.

Curiously, the eSATA firmware update is indeed available on the Seagate website, at the following URL:

Link to firmware update

Carefully following the instructions outlined in the embedded .pdf, I have successfully upgraded the firmware on my FreeAgent Pro 750. The drive now appears to be functioning as expected via an eSATA connection. I am able to read and write High Definition (HD) video files to and from the drive.

Kindly close out this support ticket, making note of the availability of the firmware update.

Respectfully yours,

> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:24:32 +0000

> From: discsupport@seagate.com

> Subject: Regarding Your Seagate Case # 02611920 [ ref:_00D00hhzl._50030Ne2AW:ref ]

>

>

> Thank you for contacting Seagate.

>

> I understand you are looking for firmware for your external drive.

>

> The thing is, our regular external drives do not have firmware updates. I understand you have provided some links, which I have taken a look at, and while it may be true some issues may arise while using the drive with eSATA, there are no such thing as a firmware update for the external drive.

>

> For the time being I would probably suggest you make sure your eSATA drivers are up to date on the computer. I would strongly suggest you get the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website as those should be the strongest you can find for your machine.

>

> If you have any additional questions you may call us during your regional business hours listed below.

>

> Regards,

>

> Jean-Philippe D.

> Seagate Tech Support (French/English)

> 8am - 11:30am CT ; 1pm - 6pm CT

> Monday - Friday

> 1-800-732-4283

> Web: www.seagate.com/support/index.html

> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/seagatesupport

> Twitter: @AskSeagate

> ref:_00D00hhzl._50030Ne2AW:ref