Guest 888

Seagate FreeAgent Pro - eSATA too slow

The fix has been out since August? That's even better! Seagate Tech Support told me it existed, but wouldn't give it to me because it was still "testing". GOD DAMN YOU SEAGATE!

My Freeagent Pro is doing about 60MB/s.

However...it disconnects from the system after awhile, and the only way to bring it back seems to be by pulling the powercord and replugging it. VERY annoying.

I can't make a full format on the 500GB drive (it disconnects after half the time, and format fails).

How do I prevent the drive to disconnect using eSata?

After running the update my drive still reports firmware 3.afk. My first set of speed tests were in 58 range but now they are back down to a snails pace. Anyone who gotan offer to exchange for an internal drive how did you do it. They tell me they can not do that.

This thing sucks. :angry:

"Student" might not be curteous, but I appreciate the info.

I've not hooked up to the drive by eSATA yet, but I have eSATA connectivity on the way. I ordered it when I noticed thaat the USB 2.0 isn't all that fast.

Even though it's not the fastest solution, the price and capacity made it a winner in my book.

Thanks to everybody that contributed to this thread. I just wrote up my experiences on this topic into a blog posting here:

http://blog.noegruts.com/2007/12/seagate-f...a-problems.html

Hopefully it will get indexed and others won't have to struggle with this for so long...

Just an FYI...

I'm not having any problems writing to the drive, nor am I experiencing any disconnects over eSATA.

I use an ST117R SATA controller card in my system (since my older mb does not have native SATA support)... http://www.lycom.com.tw/ST117R.htm

It uses a Silicon Image SiI3114 Rev 2 controller chip. I have 2 internal Seagate SATA drives and the FAP connected to it. Since I updated the FAP's eSATA interface firmware, it's been working great. BTW, that card is dirt cheap, and maybe that or a card like it could fully solve your eSATA issue.

After running the update my drive still reports firmware 3.afk. My first set of speed tests were in 58 range but now they are back down to a snails pace. Anyone who gotan offer to exchange for an internal drive how did you do it. They tell me they can not do that.

This thing sucks. :angry:

3.afk is the revision of the firmware on the physical hard drive itself located within the FreeAgent Pro's case, not the eSATA interface, which has its own firmware. The update I posted previously upgrades the eSATA interface firmware on the FreeAgent Pro from v0.34.0010, dated February 26, 2007, to v0.34.0011, dated March 9, 2007. The only way to see that version info is through the Oxford Updater. FYI: the Oxford Updater is NOT a Seagate product. It is a product of Oxford Semiconductor, which is the company that makes the eSATA interface on the FAP.

Edited by JTee

JTee, aren't you scared your data might get corrupted considering that March 9 firmware is a beta?

Well, with any new hard drive I purchase, I do some testing until I'm convinced that the drive is good (not a lemon) and that I'll not lose data. I've done a lot of testing on the drive and so far, it has not corrupted any files. By testing, I am dumping torrents there, dvd disc images, file archives and so far there hasn't been any issue. Also remember that the firmware we are talking about is for the eSATA interface, not the hard drive itself. The fact is that most external firewire enclosures use Oxford chipsets and its likely that most of the eSATA enclosures are using Oxford chipsets as well... and those Oxford eSATA interfaces are probably using the same March 9th firmware (or newer), otherwise they will have the same speed issue. That said, I believe the beta warning you are referring to was a warning about the Oxford Updater program itself, not the March 9th eSATA firmware. They recently updated the Oxford Updater to deal with USB and eSATA. Previous versions were for firewire only. I know this because I have 4 firewire enclosures I've been using the Oxford Updater for years. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I'm not having any problems.

JTee -- question for you on the firmware update.

Do you recall which firmware file you used for your update? The current bus status identifies a U931DS device but the folder with bin files for that device is empty. The updater instead opens a UF924DS window and there are four choices that give me an invalid checksum error.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt

JTee -- question for you on the firmware update.

Do you recall which firmware file you used for your update? The current bus status identifies a U931DS device but the folder with bin files for that device is empty. The updater instead opens a UF924DS window and there are four choices that give me an invalid checksum error.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt

Aha! I found the correct firmware - it didn't copy into the program file with all the others in the data folder but was still in the unzipped installer file.

I received my second RMA'ed ST307504FPA1E2-RK FreeAgent Pro 750GB with eSATA/USB2.0 back from Seagate yesterday.

Originally purchased new in June, RMA'ed in August after giving up on getting it to work with eSATA. (To be fair, it did work for awhile on its USB 2.0 interface, but I would've stayed with my existing Maxtor external drives if I'd wanted a theoretically-slower USB interface; I wanted a faster eSATA interface). Multiple tries with three different brand x1 PCIe eSATA cards and multiple brands of eSATA cables on an AMD cpu homebuild with no eSATA on mobo, and then on a newer second Intel C2D Quad homebuild with two eSATA ports on the mobo backplate. First replacement unit had same system lock-up and random going-offline problems, as did this third unit (the second RMA replacement). First two units were factory-sealed and marked as new; the third unit was marked "Refurbished".

I have wasted way too much time and money on return UPS charges and multiple eSATA cables and PCIe eSATA cards. Life is too short. :blink:

Seagate's won. I give up. My spirit is broken. :wacko: This pig will become a very stylish doorstop. When it gets cold here in another few weeks, I'll plug its power brick in again, and it'll serve as a wonderful stand-alone space heater and night light. <_<

In post-mortem, though,... during this five-month fiasco, I've purchased two new OEM internal WD SATA-II drives (one 750GB the other 1TB) and put them in APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 & eSATA External Enclosures. Both spun up the first time on the eSATA interface, they run very quiet and cool in these cases, I integrated them easily into XP Pro, and they've worked flawlessly since as rotating daily archival backup depositories. B)

i flashed mine, its still 40-45 MB/s as per HDTach.

what gives? do i need to extrat a different firmware from that package, and if so, which one?

Stop wasting your time. They don't work and will never work. I have given up Seagate refuses to send me an internal drive I could actually use in a seperate external inclosure. The drive I flashed only gave me the faster speeds for about a week and now it is back down to 40MB/s

Anyone know a lawyer?

You could always rip the drive out and put it in an external enclosure. That bumps up the average eSATA STR to around 60MB/s. You are going to invalidate your warranty though.

Did you buy yours from them? I did not.

DC SnDVl, Seagate said they would have offered me a refund if I hadn't have ripped out the disk from the Freeagent enclosure... how hard did you moan?

Does anyone know a good technical reason why Seagate might deliberately make their external disks slower. Less vibration, heat creation and so forth?

Hi,

I don't know if their disks are slower. My experience says otherwise. I have a FreeAgent 320GB external drive. The base was heating up intensely. And my laptop had also slowed to a crawl. I uninstalled all the Seagate software that came on the drive: the FreeAgent Tools and the Backup utility. And voila, no more slow down, no more alarming heat up. Windows is perfectly capable of writing to this drive without involving Seagate's software. Windows also has a backup utility.

B) Slightly off topic but how much load does the eSATA put on the system vs. USB 2

I noticed that there was very little load with FireWire vs USB2 on the previous generation external Segate Drives. Of course you can't get them at the BestBuy only eSATA.

Bill

Hey guys. Just wonderin' if anyone can help a poor guy out. I just bought one of these stupid drives and threw out then my Mom threw out the box. Now I'm totally screwed.

My HD Tach has a really weird pattern (not the usual curve), but it has a BURST SPEED like that on neogruts blog AFTER HE UPGRADED HIS FIRMWARE:

http://blog.noegruts.com/2007/12/seagate-f...a-problems.html

HOWEVER the AVERAGE READ is like that on his BEFORE HE UPGRADED HIS FIRMWARE.

Here is a link to an image:

(you might have to refresh it if it says forbidden-they don't want hotlinking)

And now, that firmware that some of you said worked, some didn't, has disappeared. Supposedly it's here:

http://support.seagate.com/rightnow/downlo...SATA_Update.zip

Think again.

Just for fun, I'd like to get that utility to try and see what firmware my drive has now. So maybe one of you has a copy of

FA_Pro_eSATA_Update.zip

still on your computer, and you could post it on this forum, or rapidshare it, or whatever. OR if you don't happen to have that file still hanging around, at least could someone lead me to that Oxford utility so I can see what firmware I've got.

Thanks!

Edited by account4me2

And now, that firmware that some of you said worked, some didn't, has disappeared. Supposedly it's here:

http://support.seagate.com/rightnow/downlo...SATA_Update.zip

Think again.

Check out the comments on my blog entry. Looks like Seagate renamed the firmware download. It is currently available here: http://support.seagate.com/rightnow/downlo...ATA_Update1.zip

Edited by noegruts