Sign in to follow this  
gameson

does it hurt the HD to reformat and reinstall OS a lot?

During my debugging when I built my PC, I re-format and re-install Vista on my Hitachi T7k500 like at least 10 times to find out the root cause of the problem. During one of these session, it appears BSOD with some msg regarding address (I wonder if it's memory address or HD sector address)...

I am a bit worried, I think it's fine, but need to confirm.

Thanks.

Also, I tried using chkdsk by right click the HD then go to tools and choose chkdsk. It checked HD during the bootup and tell users the report, however it was too fast and that means I have to sit in front of the monitor to find out as whether it has bad sector or not, it will go reboot again. So how do I get the report?

You need to disable the auto-reboot upon completion. I'm not quite sure how to do this in Vista.

I wouldn't worry about it, many of the evaluation and sample systems here get reformatted and reimaged more than twenty times a day for weeks on end and the drives are still fine.

During one of the sessions, I couldn't install Vista properly as it got BSOD during installation. On some other point, can't even reboot XP after copying files into the HD (the one before asking for CD key).

Is the HD OK?

Thanks.

There are tests one can run to test check the drive, usualy you can download them from the drive's maker. As well, I would look into running memtest86 to see if the error isn't in memory rather than hdd corruption.

I wouldn't worry about reinstalling many times. It's no different as far as the drive is concerned compared to any other access.

Hard drives are designed to seek an outrageous number of times. I'm wary of even supplying a guess, since I could be many orders of magnitude off. My guess is an average hard drive performs at least billions of seeks before failure.

Edited by K15