Sign in to follow this  
phoenix

Vista Sucks!

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated!

1. How do I make every single folder I see in Explorer appear like it did in the normal Details view in XP? e.g. name, date, type, size. No Movie Folders with thumbnails, no music or picture folders with star ratings etc. I am spending more time switching folders back to some standard view than I am actually working on their contents. I turned on classic folders but it doesn't seem to work or solve the problem. I have random folders (like those with a bunch of .gif and .jpg files that are a dump of a web site /images directory) that have star ratings for pictures when I need to be seeing file dates.

2. Is it just me or does Vista Wifi just not like hibernation all that much? Half the time it doesn't come back when resuming from hibernation.

3. Is there a way to turn off the "Vista is currently spending the next 10 minutes thinking about files it's about to copy before actually copying them" thing? I want it to be like every other OS on the planet: start copying the files, show me immediately how long it's going to take.

4. How do I switch the alt-tabbing display back to what XP had? Thumbnails don't help me when I'm tabbing between many windows of the same app. My productivity switching between windows using either the Vista alt-tabbing or new 3D tabbing is a fraction of what it used to be. Now I have to mouse to the task bar to figure out what to use.

5. While I'm at it, can the Desktop be removed from the list of "Applications" that I tab to?? I don't know what nut thought of that feature. I don't often need to tab to nothing. Maybe it's there to let people show off Dreamscene or something but in terms of getting work done it's sort of silly.

6. How do I get the start menu to behave like XP's with the accordion-like expansion to the left as I move through submenus? I take many times as many clicks to launch a program as I did in XP?

7. How do I turn off that whole search thing in the Start Menu anyway? I've spent years hitting Crtl-ESC to bring up the start menu, and I to start a browser. Not anymore. Typing -anything- with the start menu open puts what you type in some slow and new-fangled search box. Since I mostly just run the same few applications over and over, and now need to either mouse to click 'em or have to type out their names, I'm again... you guessed it... less productive.

8. When I copy files, is there a way to tell it to just copy the files and folders and overwrite everything without me having to confirm & select a checkbox for files AND folders separately?! Right now copying folders takes 4x as many clicks as it used to in XP. yet another pain.

I'm not a luddite and usually like leading edge and bleeding edge tech but honestly I've never been as unproductive with software as I am with Vista. I've a new laptop that came with it and it's hard getting things done without wanting to break the keyboard. This is an OS clearly targeted toward the least common demoninator, with questions and confirmations for every silly little thing. XP was so much nicer--it had a pretty GUI but you could still get through it fast to get the job done. Vista seems to be far more about form than function.

Oh, yet another thing.

9. I was trying to upgrade a XP PC to Vista Home Premium. Fully licensed XP, and a perfectly legal, bought-with-my-hard-earned-money upgrade key for Vista. I started the Vista install, it mysteriously froze the computer halfway through. Powered off, restarted, reinstalled but this time it told me I couldn't do an upgrade so I'd have to do a clean install. Ok fine whatever. Finish install, install 939439493 security updates, and start the activation thingy. It tells me my key is only valid for upgrades and therefore I have to purchase a better key. @#$#?#?$@?? Do I need to reinstall XP, then reinstall Vista to get this thing to work?! Because if I have to do that, then I'll reinstall XP and put the Vista key on ebay :)

AFAIK, a clean install with an upgrade is *supposed* to work. At least, it has worked on previous versions, and you had to put in you previous-version media for it to check.

I have no suggestions for how to fix Vista. I run it on my gaming PC and it feels like MS are actively trying to stop me from doing what I want. When saving a file from the web, I tried to use the pull-down menu to go to a higher-level folder. Instead I got a list of my recently-visited websites. WTF MS? Do you think I want to save the file on a website or what? How in hell is that supposed to work? Do I just type www.msn.com and my file is saved to a MSN server?

Today I wanted to copy a few files to the Vista box, so I set up a shared folder on it. Connected from my Mac, but there was only one share... "Users". Connected to that and I could see the whole harddrive. Without entering a password. With write access.

Thankfully, I have long since switched to a Mac for my primary computing needs. On that note, I bought a Windows XP license for my MacBook Pro. It totally screwed me over (Windows Update didn't even work) and now I run a pirated version with zero trouble. I guess I'm in the clear since I have my paid serial :lol:

Quick replies:

1. Same as XP. Get the folder looking right, then goto Tools>Options>View> Click on Apply to all folders. There is also a GPO, that disables per folder views. (You'll need to hunt for it, and you'll need at least Vista Business).

2. Don't know.

3. Vista sucks. Can't be done, or get used to using the command line with 'xcopy'.

4. Turn off Aero (See the MS Help on this).

5. Not that I've seen.

6. Do you mean the original W9x or 2K format, or the Luna XP menu? To get the W9x/2K menu, right click on the Start Button, select properties> Select Classic Menu.

7. No idea.

8. No idea.

9. You'll need to install XP, activate it, then Upgrade to Vista... OR Upgrade your current Vista install with the Vista CD/DVD you have (as in reinstall Vista over the top of itself)...

AFAIK, a clean install with an upgrade is *supposed* to work. At least, it has worked on previous versions, and you had to put in you previous-version media for it to check.

That's no longer the case, Vista Upgrade will search for an installed and activated Windows before it will upgrade it... (No longer just presenting the old Win CD to the installer).

For the upgrade issue, just call MS. When I've had license issues in the past using legitimate keys, I've just called MS and they have provided a new code. I've probably done that a dozen times and every time it was quite painless.

#2. I would guess that the wifi driver is the culprit - check for an updated version.

#3. The are some patches from MS that are supposed to deal with that exact issue. Don't have a link for you but look around and you'll probably find it.

#6. Not sure if it can be done natively, but I stumbled across this free tool today that looks interesting. Haven't tried it yet. http://www.vistastartmenu.com/index.html