HMTK

Raptor or something else?

I'm considering buying a drive to replace my 80 GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA drive from which I boot. A 74 GB Raptor sounds nice but what would be as good for a boot disk for the same money? I don't really need the storage space...

I'm considering buying a drive to replace my 80 GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA drive from which I boot. A 74 GB Raptor sounds nice but what would be as good for a boot disk for the same money? I don't really need the storage space...

For me personally Raptors have lost their charm. Regular 7200rpm drives are now fast approaching their speed, in terms of read/write speeds and IOPS. Sure the Raptor will seek faster but at the end of the day its the IOPS that matter. So I mean don't get me wrong, you're not gonna find a faster drive unless you go (SA)SCSI - which would be more expensive by far - so if you want the best you can buy for that price, go for the Raptor. To me though I'd just feel ripped off at this point. The Raptors haven't had any fundamental changes done in years. You can also get like two current gen 320GB drives at the price of one 74GB Raptor! And you could RAID1 them for redundancy or RAID0 them for a little performance boost (very much nearing or surpassing the Raptor).

My proverbial 2 cents.

For booting, I'd go with a SCSI hard drive. Just for booting my fujitsu 18GB has served me very good. I paid like $200.00 long time ago. You can find it now for like $53.00 here:

http://www.computergiants.com/items/one_it...;zmap=MAS3184NC

For backups, images, mp3s, pictures, dvd videos, docs, apps I always use WD regular IDEs. I just got me 2 500Gb for my external enclosures. I also got a Seagate 500GB just for extra space on my PCLinuxOS machine.

If you aren't doing disk intensive work, just stick with what you have. A Raptor won't make much difference to how fast your system will be, or your productivity, but you will waste a lot of time transfering data and swapping drives.

Seriously, how much difference is saving something inconsequential like 16 seconds a day in load times going to make to your day?

I've got little patience so I'd really like to wait less when logging in and starting apps. I don't know how much a new disk will help. Anyway, SCSI is out of the question, too expensive. I don't live in the States...

I'll update my sig so you can see my current system. I need the 80 GB SATA disk for another pc so I need to replace it anyway.

I've got little patience so I'd really like to wait less when logging in and starting apps. I don't know how much a new disk will help. Anyway, SCSI is out of the question, too expensive. I don't live in the States...

I'll update my sig so you can see my current system. I need the 80 GB SATA disk for another pc so I need to replace it anyway.

SCSI isn't necessarily expensive if you go second-hand (think ebay). However, an article on Storage Review a while ago compared the Raptor ADFD to the current generation (at the time) of SCSI drives. For single-user scenarios, it beat all of the SCSI drives anyway. AFAIK since then only the Cheetah 15K.5 has come out, and it has poor single-user performance as is traditional for the Cheetahs (they aren't made for that after all). So yeah, Raptor is still king for single-user scenarios of one drive. The good single-user SCSI drives were the Maxtor Atlas 15K IIs and the Fujitsu MAU/MAX (same drive, MAX was just an update to lead-free design). Maxtor is all gone, and last I spoke to Fujitsu they will have their perpendicular recording 15K 3.5" drives out at the end of October, so that's really the only thing on the horizon that might surpass the Raptor. Not to mention it's been a helluva while since WD updated the Raptor!

What's to stop tweaks on the SCSI controller to help better single task performance? Flat out toe to toe most of the modern SAS drives will decimate a 150GB Raptor.

Heck one of my worst `upgrades` were going from a 36GB MAU to a 150GB Raptor. Given the MAU was on a slightly more powerful controller and the MAU's caching was optimized for single operations via the HBA but the different was very noticeable.

SCSI, don't wait on any operations or your time. I swear the difference between my SCSI drive and my Raptor 150 ADFD is like night and day and I've had the same install on my SCSI drive for about 2-3yrs; installing apps, reinstalling apps, removing junk apps, ...basically a bunch of clutter and crappy apps that after time cause the drive to slow down and comparing it still to my Raptor, i'll spend the money on my SCSI set up 10x again. O' btw, the Maxtor Atlas SCSI drive i have is an older generation drive... the new ones are faster and nowadays cheaper. I could probably get a 147GB Fujitsu 15k drive for less than the 37GB drive im using now...

then again its your time and money... you make the choice