trx

does using AAM prolong HDD lifetime?

You would think so, but I doubt there is a substantial enough difference to worry. The difference between 8ms and 12ms on the actuator bearing is pretty small I would bet. Dunno what other factors might change.

I wouldn't use AAM to extend the life of my HDD, if you want my opinion. ;)

Best thing to do is just keep a current backup going.

Guest 888

I just thought about mechanical forces in the head's arm caused by speeding up and braking. In principle, every saved millisecond may save some over-critical metal-structure tensions or even molecular-forces otherwise caused there.

And we know... There still are some reasons why the fastest actuators (10k rpm and 15k rpm pro-hdd's) are made of better metal and constructed more strong. The acceleration of hdd arm is one of the fastest accelerations in man-made mechanical world... Billions of times of such accleration cycles - it's not easy to withstand without any microdeformations...

Good point. I am learning about stress and strain in materials right now.

Reducing stress in the head arm would probably be beneficial, though I'm sure the arms are made to withstand the normal seeking for years.

id say yes, though i think most drives only implement two levels in aam... 0 and 255... at least a few years ago.

if performance doesnt matter, it would not be a stupid idea imho. :)

but, as ther others said, you shouldnt rely on it ofc ;)