Sign in to follow this  
DrStrange

When is SATA III expected?

Does anybody know when SATA III is expected? I read a few old articles which said that it was due in 2007 but I don't see any talk about it.

With Penryn, Phenom, X38, MCP72, G92 and R680 all due between now and Q1 '08 and my rig over 2 years old, I figure I could wait for SATA III if it was definitely coming in '08.

Does it really matter? Current day drives aren't saturating SATA I. Maybe when SSD drives mature a bit and start entering the mainstream but that won't be for another year or two.

Does it really matter? Current day drives aren't saturating SATA I. Maybe when SSD drives mature a bit and start entering the mainstream but that won't be for another year or two.

That's true but SATA II drive offer more of a boost in performance over SATA I. Maybe SATA III drives will come with more cache thus making them better.

That's true but SATA II drive offer more of a boost in performance over SATA I. Maybe SATA III drives will come with more cache thus making them better.

...and when they do, they will be compatible with SATA I and II

Guest 888

The major real effect your SATA2 or SATA3 drives are offering over conventional SATA is more power consumption, nothing other. Higher clocking is significantly more energy-hungry thing.