sabrewulf165

wtf... P5B Dlx / ICH8R RAID 0 fails on every power cycle?

I've been running a 2-disk RAID 0 on my P5B Deluxe with some leftover drives recently and running Windows off of it. Hadn't had to turn off my machine for several days but I recently installed a new storage drive so I powered off for that. Upon powering back on, the Intel RAID BIOS reports both RAID 0 member disks as "offline."

Annoyed, I recreated the array and restored the image of it I had made with Acronis. Fine, whatever. However, the next time I powered my machine down, the problem repeated itself. So I recreated and re-imaged again, then immediately shut down Windows to see if the problem would manifest itself for a third time, which of course it did.

So what the hell? I don't have gobs of experience with RAID, but I'm *pretty* sure that power-cycling the machine isn't supposed to bork your array... is the ICH8R RAID BIOS that flaky? Or the P5B Deluxe?

Any input is appreciated. The two drives I'm using in RAID 0 are different models, if that matters.

Other system details - E6600, 8800GTX, P5B Deluxe, 4x1GB XMS2 6400, Seasonic M12 600W

Edited by sabrewulf165

Wich version of Intel raid drivers do you have? Latest is 7.6, this one solves most problem similar to yours.

Already using 7.6 :(

In case it makes a difference, the two drives I'm using are a Maxtor 100GB (can't recall the model # off the top of my head) and a WD2500JS. The performance of the mismatched drives in RAID 0 is surprisingly good, but I don't know why it would matter for the reliability of the stripeset. It seems to be a controller issue, although I read of one other user having a similar problem who said that changing SATA cables fixed his issue. I'll try that tonight, but any further input would be appreciated.

Try to use port 3-5, see here for more infos: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-025783.htm

I had similar issues in the past (in mirroring), it seems this controller is a pain in the ass :(

Well last night I swapped the ports that the disks were on. Before I had the 250 on port 0 and the 100 on port 1. Now the 100 is on port 0 and the 250 is on port 1. I imaged the 100 in single-drive config and then used the Intel Matrix Storage Manager in Windows to migrate that across the second disk to create my RAID 0. Hardly the way I would prefer to do it as it took an hour, but I was willing to give it a shot. So far I've powered off and back on 4 times (including once where I overclocked a safe amount just to try to screw up the RAID) and thus far the RAID hasn't died.

Not sure whether this will hold, or which of the two things I did differently fixed it, but I guess I shouldn't complain. Still don't have much faith in this controller anymore, but since I'm not using the RAID for anything important, I guess it's no biggie.

Edited by sabrewulf165

What happens if you switch them back to the original ports? If it fails will it work without reimaging when you put them back to the present ports?