Trance-Fusion

Which HD is Good?

Ok Guys, here is my list that I have narrowed down too. All these are 500GB HD's and I need to know which one fits my needs and once again my need are the following things:

Not To Hot

Good Performance

Quiet

So if you guys can tell me which HD or HD's I should look at, it will really help me out. Then that way I can start to do my research and reviews on the HD's. Also if you guys have your own recommendations, please share them with me.

Maxtor (My Old friend) Maxtor Basics ATA 100 Hard Drive Kit - 500GB (Part # L01Y500)

Western Digital - WD Caviar SE16 (Model WD5000AAKS)

Seagate HD - Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 500GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive

Samsung SpinPoint T166 (Model HD501LJ)

I was also just thinking, Do I really need a High-End HD for storage. I mean I am already gona buy the Raptor for my Main OS Drive. Why buy a expensive storage drive. What's your guys opinion in this. I was look at spending $100 and $120 being the max. Do I really need an expensive drive for storage?

THX for all the help!

Samsung. There's very little doubt about that. Well, I don't know for sure what kind of drive 7200.11 is but judging from previous generation, it ain't any good. Also, results for AAKS is lacking so YS is used for comparison. linky

As you see, Hitachi lead but Samsung isn't bad performer either. It's also almost as cool-running as Hitachi. And when it comes to noise, Samsung just might be the best HDD around. linky

It is worth mentioning though, that even Samsung has it's Achilles' heel: vibration. To benefit from low and pleasant idle character the vibration has to be decoupled (i.e isolated from the case), otherwise you'd have a buzzing computer with resonating side panels...

I did a bunch of research a few weeks ago in the hunt for a 500Gb drive for my HTPC that I am currently refreshing. I settled on the Samsung.

Noise and heat were first and second priority and the Samsung is by far the best for those. Performance was important as well but not paramount. However, I was impressed with the Samsung's performance in that it was near the top of the charts on every single benchmark. Many of the other drives are the fastest on a couple of the tests, and then not so good on others. I prefer consistently decent performance across the board.

I've done most of the initial setup with the parts sitting on my kitchen table and I have to say that it is definately a very quiet drive. Once I'm ready I'll strip down the old HTPC and put all the new stuff in the case at which point it'll be interesting to see just how quiet the system is. I think it'll be noticably better than the old one. Hopefully the vibration of the Samsung won't be an issue, but even if it is I can resolve that.

You asked for opinions on specific hard drives, including

Maxtor (My Old friend) Maxtor Basics ATA 100 Hard Drive Kit - 500GB (Part # L01Y500)

Well until very recently Maxtor was my old friend, but I'm revising my opinion after having a 160GB maxtor fail about 2 months ago and a 500GB maxtor fail about 10 days back.

I was also just thinking, Do I really need a High-End HD for storage. I mean I am already gona buy the Raptor for my Main OS Drive. Why buy a expensive storage drive. What's your guys opinion in this. I was look at spending $100 and $120 being the max. Do I really need an expensive drive for storage?

Unless you access the storage very frequently and want very fast response, it does not make sense to get an ultra fast drive for storage.

Personally I would rate reliability as the most important feature to look for.

In my case I've recently had a 160GB drive fail (after 2 years) and a 500GB fail (after 30 days) , both located in a somewhat hot drive bay where 80GB drives lasted for years without failure. Both were Maxtors, a brand which I've previously had good experience with, but I'm now beginning to wonder.

Speaking of heat, maybe high capacity drives are more sensitive (??) and if you have not already done so I'd install drive temp monitoring software like HDD Thermometer (freeware).

Well guys after reading your comments, I am reading that if I want Coo and Quiet HD, I should go with Samsung. But I will give you more info on what these HD's will be used for.

1 HD will be The Raptor (Main HD)

1 - HD will be used for frequently for Storage Purpose

And the other drives I put in will be for Sometime Usage. They will hold my Multi-Media Files. (Like Eps of Anime, TV Shows, Stuff like that).

So what is your recommendation now?

P.S. Fusion

I've been using the 400 GB version of the Samsung (HD403LJ) for almost 2 months now and am really happy with it. The HD501LJ got 79% 5 eggs from Newegg's reviewers. The bad reviews were mostly DOAs.

Do you even need a Raptor? If just want it for extra speed using everyday applications like Word, Email, watching videos, I think you will be v. disappointed and not really see any performance benefit over using a current generation 500gb model like the Samsung HD501LJ.

What do you use your PC for? Unless you do video editing / multimedia editing or something else that involves large files / intensive disk activity, you will do just as well using a single Samsung HD501LJ. Actually, I suppose having a two disk system is also good if you like to tinker with your system alot. You can play with different OS's and installations all you want without worrying about your document files.

Remember that the performance figures here are representative. Translated to the real world, the 20% better test performance of a Raptor 150GB over the Samsung HD501LJ in the Office Drivemark = a 1 second quicker load time for something like Word, or a fraction of a second shaved off the execution of a complex command. Will you really notice this when using your PC?

Do I really need the Raptor, well in my opinion I think I want to give it a try. I wanna see the performance of the Raptor. The usage of my PC will be Vista OS, Office, Adobe Photoshop and couple of there Multi-Media Apps. Of course I will be doing the normal things. Surf Web, DL, Listen Music, Burn CD/DVD's and other things. One of my biggest problem right now is Boot Up Time and When I launch Apps, some of them take a while to load. For example, Photoshop, Word and couple of others. I want to elimate that slowness.

Just to give you guys some info on the the system I am building:

Cooler-Master Stacker 830

Intel Based Quad-Core 45-nm Processor

Intel or Asus Motherboard (X38 Chipset)

4GB Plus of Ram

Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB or 640MB

One Raptor HD (Main)

2 - 3 Storage HD'S

Corsair HX620W (Just ordered, will be here tomorrow)

One DVD-Writer and One DVD/CD-RW Combo

Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard with the new MX Air Mouse.

Logitech Z-5500 Digital Sound System

And whatever else I am forgetting. But you guys get the picture. I want my Main HD to be Quick in Accessing Stuff and I don't want to see the slowness in my system, like I do now. Now if any other HD will do what I want, then please let me, if not, then these are the reasons I want the Raptor. Thx for all the input guys. You are really helping me out!

P.S. Fusion

Edited by Trance-Fusion

For the uses you stated (unless you have huge photoshop files), you will see very little difference in performance between a Raptor and something like a Samsung HD501LJ. Give both a try as your main program disk and you will see what I mean.

I use a Fujitsu MAU 36GB as my main system disk and the difference between that and my Seagate 7200.8 250GB is minimal when running Windows XP and regular programs. The difference is low enough for me to wonder if I am imagining the difference.

I think, judging from the performance figures the real world difference between a Raptor and Samsung HD501LJ will be similar. I still advise that you should save your money... over and out.

Just FYI, people at silentpcreview say that the new samsung drives can sometimes vibrate to an unusual extreme. One guy I pm'd there said that half his t166s vibrated normally, and the other half vibrated so excessively that he recommended skipping the drive altogether if you're trying to built a quiet low-vibration computer.

While the T166 has very low seek sounds, it actually vibrates more than the SE16 which is the benchmark drive right now IMHO.

Decouple it, then it won't matter if it vibrated like a lawnmower. As long as it's just HDD vibrating and the vibration doesn't transmit to computer case, it will not create noticeable increase in acoustic noise.

Hey Guys, after a lot of thinking and looking around, I have made my decision on which HD's I am gona get. They all the following:

1) I still plan to get the Raptor or Raptor X (I just can't let it go)!

2) WD Caviar SE16 drives (WD5000AAKS) (500GB)!

2) Barracuda® 7200.10 Desktop Hard Drives (ST3500630AS - 500GB) or Barracuda® 7200.11 Desktop Hard Drives (ST3500620AS - 500GB) If the $$ is right.

So what you guys think of my choices. If anything needs to be changed, please let me know. Thank you for al your help!

P.S. Fusion