uvstudios

Cant Format my SCSI

When i try to format my SCSI hard drive it comes up with this message:

Setup was unable to format the partion. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and is properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSi devices are properly terminated

I have a Fujitsu MAX3073NP which i believe is 70GB (i'm working on my friends computer so i'm not sure how many GB's it is) and i have a SCSI controller from star Tech the model number is PCISCSIUW and it is a SCSI PCI CARD. Now i have the SCSI card ID set to #7 which is the default. And i have the drive set to ID 15. Now i'm struggling to understand if this means the drive is terminated now because it is set at the last available port. If it helps the devices drive number is 0. Also i am trying to install windows xp professional. Am i doing everything right or am i missing something. Someone please help me i have no idea what i am doing wrong. My conclusion on this drive is i believe it is bad. I have verified the disk to check for bad sectors and can not find any. For some reason windows will format the drive until about 97% and then comes up with the error message i mentioned above.

Thanks Ahead of time

UvStudios

I have a Fujitsu MAX3073NP which i believe is 70GB (i'm working on my friends computer so i'm not sure how many GB's it is) and i have a SCSI controller from star Tech the model number is PCISCSIUW and it is a SCSI PCI CARD.

SCSI ID #'s are logical, not physical, i.e. allocating #15 to your HD doesn't make it the last physical device.

Termination should be after the last physical device, at both ends.

On a LVD SCSI chain, you need an active terminator after that last physical device.

Old non-LVD SCSI devices usually had a jumper to enable onboard termination.

On the card side, unless there is an external device on the same channel, it means activating the card's termination in its BIOS.

Another problem you appear to have is the pairing of an ancient 40MB/s UW SCSI controller with an U320 LVD drive. I am not familiar with the MAX3073NP, but I have never seen an onboard terminator on any LVD SCSI drive (LVD= Low Voltage Differential -> 80MB/s and above)

How is your cabling setup? I have gotten LVD SCSI chains (LVD cable, LVD drive, and active terminator) to work with UW controllers, but not LVD drives with non-LVD cabling or merely 'inserted' in an UW chain.

LVD cables can be distinguished from standard 68 conductor UW cables as some of their conductors 'cross over' each other, as opposed to being all parallel to each other. They also often have a built-in terminator.

From the symptoms you describe, I suspect you might be using an UW cable without a terminator after the hard drive.

Regarding sm8000 question i have formated the drive and check for errors on it, so that part is covered.

smc thank you for your detailed response you blew me away with your intellegence in this topic. Well first to begin with i bought a cable from new egg, this is the one here:SCSI Cable

In regards to your questions my cable is a UW cable at pictured above, i never knew there was so much involved in SCSI drives or the compatiblity issues. And my cable is exactly as you described the connectors are all not on the same side or parallel to each other they switch between the right and left side. My cable connection is the very first cable is connected to my SCSI controller then the one following that is connected to my Hard drive, the other two that are avalible are left untouched and have a cap over them, does that mean that the chain is terminated because i have a cap over the last connection in the chain. Hopefully the link above can help you understand what i am talking about here. What is the best solution for my problem should i tell my friend to return the item and buy another controller that will be compatible with drive. I chose this controller because it was the only one that had the right type of PCI connection, the others were too long, meaning they were PCIx (i believe thats what they call them). He has an ASUS gaming motherboard heres the link if you need to see: Motherboard

Hopefully i have told you what you need to know to adress the problem more and i thank you for your respone it has very helpfull.

It appears you have the right cable for the job, and that it is wired properly.

If you can return that 40MB/s UW SCSI controller, that would be a good start; it is a definite bottleneck for such a fast hard drive, whose max transfer rate appears about 3 times higher than the controller can handle.

Just pick up any used U160 or U320 SCSI controller off ebay; something like an Adaptec AHA-29160 is dirt cheap, trouble-free, and fast enough. No need for a PCI-X 64 bit model as the motherboard won't take advantage of it, although some are backward compatible with regular 32-bit PCI slots (e.g. Adaptec AHA-39160).

It also appears the Fujitsu MAX3073NP has a jumper to force single-ended (i.e. non-LVD) mode, which should render it compatible with your PCISCSIUW controller. You'd have to short jumpers 15-16 for that, according to this: http://193.128.183.41/support/disk/manuals...1-e228-01en.pdf . I vaguely remember having trouble in a similar situation some years ago (LVD drive jumpered to SE, SE controller, SE cable), however; an all-LVD setup is definitely the way to go.

Mixing-and-matching SE and LVD SCSI equipment is one of the more confusing aspects of SCSI, and best avoided; termination on the other hand is fairly logical. I'm sure you'll master it all soon :)

Thanks for the response smc. I'm going to see if my friend has had the controller for more than 30 days if he hasnt i'll have him return it. I'm going to to short jump 15-16 and see if that does it. I'm sure it will. I know your recommendations suggest Adaptec, and if i can i will definately get that instead of the piece of crap i have right now. One last question. What is the best way to go, short 15-16 or go and get a compatible card like you mentioned. I know its probably to get a compatible card. If i do not get the card will i notice a significant speed difference, which defeats the whole purpose of a SCSI card. Thank you for all your help, at least i understand SCSI a little bit better now.

Sorry, just tried it out seems to work but my card comes up as every SCSI ID in the SCSI BIOS. I assume i need to just short jumpers 1-2 for drive 0 or do i have to short all ids 1 through 8. Sorry for the question. Just want to make sure i do it right. Thank you.

I'm just mentioning Adaptec since they are so ubiquitous and easy to find used; this isn't a blanket endorsement of the brand (their RAID controllers tend to lack in performance), but their SCSI controllers are solid, trouble-free products. Tekram and LSI-based SCSI controllers are other candidates. Nothing wrong with your current one, it just appears geared for SCSI CD-ROM drives, scanners, etc. as opposed to current generation hard drives.

If you manage to get the whole setup working by closing that one jumper, you'll still get the benefits of the drive's fast access time and other performance features. However transfer rate, which only one parameter, will be capped at 40MB/s, which would be a pity for this drive, whose minimum transfer rate is well above that figure. Not unlike driving a sports car at 55mph, it will accelerate fast, handle well, but not exceed 55...

Since an Adaptec 29160 or similar can be had for under $20 used, it would be worth it even if the original controller is past its return date. If you plan on adding another such drive in the future, an U320 e.g. Adaptec 29320 (or dual channel U160 - e.g. Adaptec 39160) controller may be worthwhile, as two Fujitsu MAXxxxx drives will saturate a single U160 channel.

Sorry, just tried it out seems to work but my card comes up as every SCSI ID in the SCSI BIOS. I assume i need to just short jumpers 1-2 for drive 0 or do i have to short all ids 1 through 8. Sorry for the question. Just want to make sure i do it right. Thank you.

Careful here!

Hard drive 0 only means it is the first (and only) hard drive connected.

IIRC you mentioned the HD's SCSI ID was 15. The usual practice (from my late 1980's Mac days...) is to assign lower SCSI ID's to hard drives, with the lowest to the usual boot drive, although it really doesn't matter if the controller can designate any device as the boot drive.

The multiple appearance of the card under every SCSI ID doesn't look good, I suspect a termination problem, or perhaps the LVD U320 cable and terminator are not meant to work in single-ended mode. Sorry, my knowledge stops here :(

I am confident a proper controller will solve all your problems.

Playing with various SCSI ID's for the hard drive will not solve this one, which points to an electrical problem in the SCSI bus (I'd say a SE/LVD mix incompatibility). As mentioned earlier, I've had little luck pairing up SE controllers with LVD drives jumpered in SE mode. The only successful combo I ever had work was an SE controller, LVD drive in LVD mode, with an LVD cable with active terminator; that very combination did not work with the drive jumpered to SE, either with a SE UW cable or a LVD cable (which is what you're trying to do now).

I shorted jumper 1-2 now, and the drives ID is now #1. Now does this also mean that i need to change the boot id to number one too? I assume your conclusion is correct. I tried to install windows and when i do i get the same error message as i have before:

Setup was unable to format the partion. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and is properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSi devices are properly terminated

I believe that my card will not work with my LVD SCSI hard drive. I have the terminator set up on the last hard drive scsi plug with a black plug over it (is this the terminator? sorry for my use of insufficient words for describing it, i don't know any other way to).

Do i need to change how the jumpers are shorted because as of right now i have these jumper numbers shorted: 1-2, which identifies the drive to be number 1. 11-12 which is the motor start mode- motor is started immediately after power supply is turned on or microcode is downloaded. 15-16- single ended mode. 22-23- Drive supplies terminator power to SCSI bus. If there is something I'm missing maybe you could point it out, but i believe everything is set up right.

Probably the best call is to go buy Adaptec controller that you suggested, because this one seems to have some issues with an LVD devices, and therefore cannot terminate properly.

Also in the controllers BIOS I see an option to enable SPIN UP DISK DRIVE for my SCSI's ID do i need to do this or leave it alone.

Thanks for your help!!!!

UvStudios

If the drive's SCSI ID is #1, yes do select ID#1 as the boot device in the card's BIOS.

The 'black plug' is indeed the terminator. It should be in the last connector of the LVD cable, which it appears to be.

Going through your jumper settings:

- 1-2: ok

- 11-12: ok. You'd open this if you had many SCSI drives to stagger their startup, in order not to overload the power supply as hard drives are most power-hungry at startup

- 15-16: open this one, I think we've determined the setup was not working in SE mode.

- 22-23: I am confused about this one, as Fujitsu says it is shorted by default. I have never handled a 68-pin LVD SCSI Fujitsu, but don't recall seeing a terminator power jumper on the 68-pin LVD drives I was familiar with (mostly Quantum and IBM). On old SE drives, such a jumper would activate the built-in passive terminator required on the last physical device of a given SCSI chain; on a LVD chain, the terminator is external (that 'black plug' you mention), and fully independent of the drive, which shouldn't have to 'supply terminator power to the SCSI bus' as described in the Fujitsu documentation. I'd give it a try with this jumper open. Three terminators in a chain is a recipe for disaster.

The SPIN UP DISK DRIVE option in the controller's BIOS is directly related to jumpers 11-12: if activated, it will send a spin up instruction at given intervals to all your devices, starting with SCSI ID 0. Since the jumper is closed, no need to activate this option, which would only delay your boot process. Some OSes sometimes report boot failure when hard drives take too long to spin up...

I suggest giving it one last try, with jumpers 15-16 and 22-23 opened. If that doesn't work, consider buying a LVD controller.

When you do have the LVD controller, do leave 15-16 open, and try 22-23 in both settings; common sense would say open, but Fujitsu's default setting appears to be closed; perhaps they just need a place to park the jumper? :unsure:

Edited by smc

P.S. It shouldn't be a problem, but I don't like using drives formatted on a controller from a different family, especially a SCSI boot disk.

Even if you get the current combo to work, it may be safer to wait until you get the final controller before installing XP.

Also, not to ask the obvious, I assume you did load your SCSI card's drivers using F6 at the beginning of the XP installation process (assuming XP doesn't have built-in drivers for the controller) ?

I'm going to try it right now, but on the controller i know you recommenced the Adaptec AHA-29160. I'm looking at it right now and i dont see how it will fit into the mother board slot, i know that may sound stupid but i don't want to make my friend by another controller that could potentially not fit into his motherboard. Maybe I'm wrong, because even if the PCI slot is smaller than the actually PCI cards slots it can still work. Heres a link to the image i keep looking at and thinking i don't know if that will work:

Motherboard Image:Image

Card image:Image

Sorry for this stupid question i'm embarrassed to ask it because i do, do computer stuff all the time with upgrading them and installing things, always a good time to gain more knowledge.

Thanks for your patience

UvStudios

A good question but i actually didn't this is because my controller already installed itself in the BIOS plus i need a floppy disc for that and my controller doesn't come with one!! So i figured i didn't need to, but i can try to find a driver floppy disc, just figured if it didn't come with it, it doesn't need be installed, a guess a stupid decision. That was an obviously question and i gave one long answer to that. I probably should try to do that.

The picture you provide a link to appears to be of an Adaptec 39160, which has a 64-bit 33MHz PCI interface, and is fully compatible with standard 32-bit PCI ports (I have one myself). The last row of connectors would just be unused and sit past the 32-bit PCI connector, and the card run in 32-bit mode. Some 64-bit PCI-X (66, 100, 133MHz) cards do have connectors which are keyed differently, and are not backward compatible with 32-bit PCI slots, but those are mostly higher-end RAID cards.

The 29160 is a standard 32-bit PCI card.

Your current SCSI controller may very well be supported by XP; if not, here are the drivers: http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDownlo...SCSIUW&c=US

Hope you'll get it all to work :)

thanks for all your help i'm going to get that one for my friend i'm going to try to do a floppy and see how that goes now, hopefully it will work.

Thank you again for all your help.