jamieshea

Magnetic shielding/immunity for drives

Hello,

I have to buy a new drive, but i prefer to buy locally to avoid shocks and bad packaging during shipping.

So, the only store stocking the drive I want has it on shelves lined with a legion (at least 4 every 2 feet...) of fluorescent lights.

Since those lights use electromagnets in their power supply, what's the impact on the drive longevity, and what's that drive's magnetic immunity anyway (Freeagent go, so it's a 2.5" drive)?

I really wouldn't end up with a dud after the warranty ends because of firmware/servo track corruption, even if I don't use the drive anymore by then (I prefer my drives in working condition, even when they're only useful as doorstops anymore and I don't consider them as disposable, they bear a real, even though finite, intrasinc value with or without data) and even with the 5 year warranty.

Thanks.

PS:By the way, Seagate's packaging is horrible and very lacking (I'm not sure it would survive a minor drop).

Edited by jamieshea

Your risk of a bad drive being caused by any flourescent lighting, or any magnetic field, is zero. Consider how the drive motor is replete with magnets, right next to the platers.... OMG! What about those drive magnets??? Now if lightning crossed from a light assembly to the drive it would likely be ruined, but other than that, nada. I suppose you could get inducted noise from an ac light system into a running computer and corrupt data that way, if the light was close enough. You can certainly get ac noise from lighting into cat5 cable if the two are close enough, as it's unshielded. Cat6, being shielded, was made to counteract this.

So, the only store stocking the drive I want has it on shelves lined with a legion (at least 4 every 2 feet...) of fluorescent lights.

Since those lights use electromagnets in their power supply, what's the impact on the drive longevity, and what's that drive's magnetic immunity anyway (Freeagent go, so it's a 2.5" drive)?

Seriously your concerns border on paranioa. Time to break out the tin-foil hats!

BTW. Fluorescent lights use a transformer in their power supply, as does your computer PSU and your computer mootherboard. And yes transformers work on a magnetic feild but they are not electromagnets.

Edited by uart