Sign in to follow this  
student

Using two cable modems simultanously?

I want to access the internet from 2 rooms. They each have cable access points. Can I use a cable modem in each room (ie 2 cable modems) and get internet access from each? Is connecting and using two modems simultanously possible?

I already have a wireless router connected to a cable modem in one room, but there's a thick masonry wall between the rooms and I therefore get very poor coverage.

Thanks.

Edited by student

I want to access the internet from 2 rooms. They each have cable access points. Can I use a cable modem in each room (ie 2 cable modems) and get internet access from each? Is connecting and using two modems simultanously possible?

I already have a wireless router connected to a cable modem in one room, but there's a thick masonry wall between the rooms and I therefore get very poor coverage.

Thanks.

I suspect that even though you've got two modem points they're connected to a single phone line?

That means you can't have two cable modems.

When you say you get very poor coverage because of a single wall it must be a hell of a wall (I've got two masonry walls and nearly 40ft to my wireless router) - are you sure they're isn't something else causing the interference?

Find out what channel your wireless router is on and move it a chunk (i.e. if your wireless channel is currently 2 try 11 and vice versa). There are tools out there (check google) that will let you measure the wireless strength, do some investigation to identify where the problem is.

If that doesn't work you could try running a cable to the existing router or else buy another wireless router and set up a wireless repeater or even a mesh network.

That's absolutely untrue. Cable modems aren't connected to any phone line at all. Every cable modem in the neighbourhood is connected to the same cable, often dozens or even hundreds. Adding another modem on top of a few hundred is not going to be a problem, the entire architecture was designed to work that way.

The only problem is actually getting a connection through your ISP. Many ISPs identify subscribers by the modem's MAC address, using that in place of a login for example. In the UK at least with NTL, it's only possible to register one cable modem per account, so that if you wanted to use both at the same time, you would have to subscribe to two accounts. You would therefore get two completely seperate connections, twice the speed, but you'd also have to pay double the service charge.

You can get a load balancing router to connect over any two internet connections. A single TCP connection will only go over one internet connection, so your maximum download speed for that TCP connection will be whatever the internet connection is that it uses. For a cable modem, you would need two accounts, as mentioned by qasdfdsaq. Still, as these accounts will share the same physical line to the node, they will compete for bandwidth. Depending on how many people are on your node, and the quality/speed of that wire, you might not see any real benefit, even with many TCP connections.

You can get a load balancing router to connect over any two internet connections. A single TCP connection will only go over one internet connection, so your maximum download speed for that TCP connection will be whatever the internet connection is that it uses. For a cable modem, you would need two accounts, as mentioned by qasdfdsaq. Still, as these accounts will share the same physical line to the node, they will compete for bandwidth. Depending on how many people are on your node, and the quality/speed of that wire, you might not see any real benefit, even with many TCP connections.

You can stripe the connections them just not with windows. You will need a Linux box of some kind. It is my understanding you can use a LINKSYS WRT54GL or similar compatible router with DD-WRT or similar program. You should probibily go to one of the many forums that specalize in this kind of thing. Normal windows will only use one at a time. They were suppoded to add this to Vista but I have not followed up on this. Some of the latest gaming expensive motherboards will do this too.

Honistly very few people can really use more than one good connection the second will just go to waste.

Edited by Smoken Joe

Or if all that's to much faff, you could just get a networking over the mains kit. Or much more cheaply, but with more diy skills needed, just run an ethernet cable between the rooms. Either laid in the corners and pinned to the wall, covered with a rug if it has to cross a walkway, or you can go the whole hog and put conduit in the walls and fit permanent wall sockets if you're up to the challenge. Depends on whether you're allowed to do it, and if you think it's worth the effort. If you're in rented accomodation, just lay ethernet along the skirting board the corners, tucked under the carpet if possible, and be careful that any intervening doors won't kink the cable.