sram

SCSI RAID. Worth it to get more snappiness?

Well, one of my friends wants to build a new rig and he wants to make it as fast and as snappy as possible. He is willing to spend around 3000 $. It is ganna be based on a quad core I think with a p35 overclocking mobo. Will have at least 4GB of Ram(don't know if more is even logical). Probably the 8800 GTX for a video card.

The question is: Will going SCSI RAID make that big of a difference ??

Alternatives:

He can use the fastest SCSI drive available for his OS

OR use two raptors in RAID 0

Maybe something else.............Solid state drives??!@&%$^$?

OOOOOOh, what does he use his machine for???

Hmmm, it is not about what he uses it for...It is like a speed contest!!! He is an enthuthiastic.......crazy one might say!!

Well, one of my friends wants to build a new rig and he wants to make it as fast and as snappy as possible. He is willing to spend around 3000 $. It is ganna be based on a quad core I think with a p35 overclocking mobo. Will have at least 4GB of Ram(don't know if more is even logical). Probably the 8800 GTX for a video card.

The question is: Will going SCSI RAID make that big of a difference ??

Alternatives:

He can use the fastest SCSI drive available for his OS

OR use two raptors in RAID 0

Maybe something else.............Solid state drives??!@&%$^$?

OOOOOOh, what does he use his machine for???

Hmmm, it is not about what he uses it for...It is like a speed contest!!! He is an enthuthiastic.......crazy one might say!!

Use four Raptor 74gbs or 150s (with 4 x 74GB) I see 327MB/s read+write in RAID 0 and the machine boots in 10-15 seconds (E6600) CPU.

It is not only booting we are looking into! I think with SCSI booting will take considerably longer because of the SCSI controller....right? We are more concerned about what happens in windows!

It is not only booting we are looking into! I think with SCSI booting will take considerably longer because of the SCSI controller....right? We are more concerned about what happens in windows!

Unless you want to spend $1,000 per 15k RPM SAS drive and get yourself a $1000 SAS controller, nothing will beat out 4 raptor raid0 for price/performance ratio.

Justin.

My recommendation: Don't do RAID, and don't do SCSI.

SCSI is slower than high-end SATA when it comes to performance-desktop usage patterns, and RAID is slower than independant drives when it comes to performance-desktop usage patterns.

Oh, and @Justin: A Hitachi 7K1000 will easily beat a Raptor in price/performance ratio.

Edited by qasdfdsaq

I wouldn't bother with Serial-Attached-SCSI (SAS) in a desktop box, even a $3000 box, unless he wants to blow waaaay too much money on storage.

(hey, some do. like me. ;) but I don't generally recommend it...)

Slightly OT, but why on earth overclock? Esp with an expensive machine. Getting the best consumer processor + video card should be enough, IMNSHO.

Who on earth doesn't overclcok a core2 based cpu now? Well, I mean they have high overclockability, why not gain some extra free MHz??

Why not? Disproportinately increased heat, ventilation requirements, noise, electricity bill, reduced compatibility and stability, voided warranty to name a few.

Edited by qasdfdsaq

In an office box I wouldn't overclock... the cons you mention are indeed worth noting, and the cooling requirements as leakage goes up are not something handled well in most standard chassis. However, keep in mind that the fastest CPUs are almost as fast as most C2D's and C2Q's overclock-- 3.0ghz stock is the fastest-- and heat/leakage there are not inconsiderable either. Calculated TDP for a Q6600 at stock is 105W (B3 stepping), overclocked to 3.4ghz/1.5v is something like 200W. Ouch.

But hell, for $266 I got a Q6600, spent $60 on a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, and OC'ed it to 3.2ghz... The fastest QX6850 tops out at 3.00ghz and is $999.

For less than 1/3rd the cost of the fastest CPU available, I have a chip faster than that. :D

It's survived 36 hours+ of Prime95 on all four cores with an HDR demo running with zero faults, so stability is not an issue. Long-term it might be, but this isn't an office box or anything truly mission-critical.

There's zero noise penalty, actually there's a noise reduction as the Nexus 120mm fan on the heatsink is considerably more quiet than the stock Intel retail heatsink. Power leakage does increase as clock speeds go up, but I'm not terribly worried about that either-- I'm not pushing the true fringe in most of my overclocks, so I don't see the most dramatic increases. The increases I do see-- and usually the most dramatic ones too-- my cooling will handle just fine.

So place me firmly in the camp that says if you want to overclock, you definitely should. Then again I've been overclocking since the 286 days, although the real heyday for me was the Celeron 300A and Celeron 366-- overclocked more than 50 of those, most of which are still running to this day in daily use at 450mhz and 550mhz, respectively.

Well, there is something to be said for solid state drives - apart from "how much?!" - especially if you can afford a few fast ones and put them in RAID 0 to mitigate the STR penalty. You'll still need to shell out for a nice big hard drive to store all your video files (and perhaps a huge collection of photos and/or music). And the cost will quickly outstrip your budget, I think.

I'd just stick to a couple of Raptors, OS & pagefile on one, games (and Photoshop scratch if you use that) on the other, and maybe a large 7200 RPM SATA drive for bulk storage. And an external drive for backups. Oh, and if he's spending that much on the PC, he'd better have a huge, beautiful screen to use it with!